iPod Nostalgia (2003 - 2007) - Or, feeling growing pains at 26.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The7thStranger, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation Thread Starter

Gaslight likes this.
  2. timind

timind phorum rezident

I couldn't resist any longer so I bought two 256gb PNY sdxc cards and installed them in my ipod classic 7th gen. The first restore seemed a bit odd so I performed a second restore which seemed fine. Although the two cards total 512gb storage, the ipod shows only 460gb available. I looked back at Tarkan's videos and this is normal.
    I synced to my library and here's the result.
    [​IMG]
    Been using it a couple days without any glitches. Now, what do I do with the perfectly fine 160gb hard drive?

3. timind

timind phorum rezident

What made me nervous was that this ipod had never been opened up before. It went pretty smoothly with the tools I showed above in post #198. There were zero marks on the ipod when I snapped it back together.

4. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

I remember the first Apple device I bought was the second gen iPod. It was the 20gb model and had FireWire. I also bought a FireWire card for my PC and had to download a third party program because iTunes wasn't on the PC yet. I loved the design, which is the reason I put up with the headache compared to the Rio Karma I was considering.

I have used several Creative players, too. They worked with Play4sure, which meant Rhapsody worked with them. I was into streaming right from the start and eventually moved to Treo phones which also played Rhapsody files and it meant I didn't need to have the Creative with me all the time.

In my car, I used a Phatbox and then a Kenwood Music Keg to get audio into my car's easily. Then the iPod Classic replaced them with its better car interface and its 160gb drive. I still have it hooked up in my car and it still works great. I haven't had it outside the car in a long time, so I can't comment on the curren state of its battery. I used to always get it out on vacations since wifi was rare up in the mountains, but now pretty much every place I stay has wifi, so I stream with my phone.

I use the iPhone more than any of the above now. Bluetooth in the car and at work, AirPlay, Casting, or direct USB DAC connection at home. The new iPhone can now hold 256gb, so it is the first iPhone that has more space than the Classic. Pretty amazing.

Ignominious and timind like this.
  5. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Want to install it in my wonky classic?!? :)

Gaslight likes this.
  6. timind

timind phorum rezident

Well, it is just sitting on the workbench...

7. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Just started using one, am I late to the party?:agree: The reason being, was my daughter's and it's old technology,iPhone way to go, apparently, I'll get a CDP next.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2016
    timind and uofmtiger like this.
  8. JackBnimble

JackBnimble Forum Resident

My Classic 160 gb died a while back. I tried using an ipod touch just not the same. Started using my LG V10 phone. In addition to a 50gb internal drive, it will take a 128gb xd card, and does bluetooth which sounds pretty good in the car.

9. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

My 80gb iPod Classic died. So I got a used 7th Generation 160gb model from eBay. I had also ordered a case but it doesn't fit.

What's the difference between the thick and thin 160gb versions? I need to find a sturdy case. Suggestions?

10. The7thStranger

The thinner models use different size hard drives and different connectors, I believe.

11. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

But there are two 160gb models. One thin and one thick.

12. The7thStranger

I mean difference in physical size of the hard drive, not in the capacity. :)

13. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Is there a difference in quality? Which came first? I thought the one I got, the 7th edition, was the latest model released before they were discontinued.

14. The7thStranger

The thicker one is the older one, I believe. No difference in quality.

D-rock likes this.
  15. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

I would think you could get something like an old Android or Windows phone with a 256G or larger SDD card to fit this requirement. I don't know if there's a way to get a Windows phone to "synch" - you'd just have to copy files - but for Android I'm pretty sure the integration would be simple. Unless I guess you're absolutely married to Apple.

16. projectcookie

projectcookie Forum Resident

Had a second generation ipod myself that I kept plugged in all the time until the battery life was like an hour. Streaming in phone totally made ipod obsolete for me, unless I need a lightweight option for jogging. But the amount of time it takes uploading files feels like a hassle nowadays.

17. mrwolk

mrwolk One and a half ears...no waiting!

Having recently purchased the Fiio X3 II and after Xmas the Fiio X5 II...my iPods get very little use...except maybe to use the Spotify app.
    Being able to play back Flac and Wav files on a portable device is great!
    My ears are happy..who knows maybe Apple will eventually develop a Hi-Res DAP?

18. FlatulentDonkey

FlatulentDonkey Forum Resident

The X5III is coming soon and that will be based on Android so you would be able to stream Spotify to your heart's content :D

19. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Amongst iPod users that care about better sound quality, the 7th gen 160gb is considered superior, audio- wise, along with the iPod 5.5 (earlier model). I'm no tech, but I've read it has something to do with the internal dacs that Apple used in these models. I own one of each and think they sound great! I use them all the time with my big rig. When they die, I'll either repair them or get another off of eBay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.