iPod's on ebay

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by daveman, Jan 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daveman

daveman Forum All Star Thread Starter

Has anyone ever bought one off ebay? And, if so, how did it work out? I'm considering this, as I could save a decent chunk of money. If it worked well, who was the seller (because he probably sells many) and I could consider buying off of him.

2. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

I'd be very careful unless there was a warantee attached. I had to send mine in for a faulty headphone jack and I have heard of many other minor problems, where, if you didn't have the warantee, would cost major $$ to repair.

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Ted's right. Bought my GF a MP3 player, and it has minor problems (Still works) but the manufacturer won't honor it's warranty even if it was brand new, sealed.

I say get a broken iPod for parts, nothing more.

4. daveman

daveman Forum All Star Thread Starter

Right...that's why I'm being very wary in this. I wouldn't get one off ebay unless a member here said he had "definite success". Upon closer examination most look refurbished anyway...not exactly something I want with something as sensitive as that.

5. Ben

Ben New Member

Forget it.

Too many variables..I got burned....than I went to Fry's (like I should have in the first place) and paid a whopping $20 more than the ebay price...thank god for Pay Pal Buyer Protection!

Some questions to consider...

New, used, "refurbished?" Very hard to tell from a pic...make sure you heed the seller's feedback rating...

Is is a third or second-generation I-pod? You can tell by the button layout and the thickness of the unit....if the photo is real.

Is the photo stock or an actual shot of the item?

Up-to-date software included or not?

If you have a Mac - good. If you have Windows, make sure it has the USB 2.0 drivers included in the deal (software again) or that your machine has a Firewire port...

My advice is to avoid the 'bay on these units...you may save some money but you may get a big pain in the butt too....you can also forget about the warranty if you go this route....good luck!

Ben

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.