Iron Maiden CD reissues? This is happening!*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hoops12, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Hoops12

Hoops12 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Recently Iron Maiden albums have been reissued in vinyl format. So I wonder if the same will be done in cd format in the near future.
    The Sanctuary remasters sound horrible (though the packaging is nice) and the original Maiden cds that sound good are hard to find specially if you want sealed copies to avoid buying something not in mint condition.
    Iron Maiden is such a nice band (specially all their albums up to Seventh Son of a Seventh Son), they should care for the sound quality of the albums they are selling.
    Led Zeppelin did a great job releasing the 2014 cd editions (I'm not including the packaging that was so damn cheap). Iron Maiden should do the same (but with great packaging, please, Maiden art asks for a top quality product).
    Am I being too naive to ask for such thing?

2. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I sure would like to see the new remasters in digipak format just like the Black Sabbath remasters. Original vinyl lp design for the cd faces too.

John Bliss and Brenald79 like this.
  3. Sick Sick Phil

Sick Sick Phil Forum Resident

doubtful. maybe in 10 to 20 years when cds become retro cool again.

4. Would love to see the entire catalog re-issued on CD with good mastering, replica artwork, all the b-sides, etc. Not holding my breath.

Runicen, g.z. and Galley like this.
  5. obi

obi Forum Resident

If they do new CD versions, it'll be based on the 24-bit remasters released in 2015.

supernaut likes this.
  6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

7. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Best bet is to find the Castle or EMI 2-discs or seek out some of the older, even more preferred masterings. Maiden has been squashing the dynamics on their reissues for two decades now and the vinyl reissues are the only exception to that rule.

DoF and John Bliss like this.
  8. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Probably. Rod likes to make people buy the catalog again.

I'm happy with the 2CD Castles.

9. Hoops12

The 24-bit reissues used for the vinyl releases could be used for cds too. That sounds possible.
    Another thing I don't understand: why not rerelease the Castles 2cd packs again? They look and sound good. There would be consumers willing to buy them for sure.

Runicen and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  10. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the vinyl reissues were done AAA, and that the 24 bit transfers from the tapes were the basis of the horrific 2015 hi-res releases.

11. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

It would make too much sense to do that. Same reason that the Soundhouse Tapes are OOP.

bartels76 likes this.
  12. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I think it's nice to keep something rare and hard to find.

13. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Then you are a happy camper. :)

14. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

The original LP pressings are sounding good to me. My Wally 666 is def a hot stamper.

And the Sanctuary remastered CDs are 'Horrible"? Heh, that's hyperbole.

15. Hoops12

OK, then, if it is to let fans keep something rare, let it be. But reissue something with good quality sound. That is what really matters in the end.

16. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Deluxe Editions for every album. All the B-sides, rarities, alt takes, demos....all that. Also, each needs to have a full live show from the corresponding tour. Do that, and I'll happily buy them all over again. Also, please have some quality control on the artwork and discs themselves. You know...like the intro to Powerslave NOT tacked onto the end of Back in the Village.:sigh:

17. Hoops12

Yes, deluxe editions with great sound would sell like crazy. Most fans would buy it all over again. I would. But great sound means great dynamics.

Hermes and Blue Note like this.
  18. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Agree on the dynamics.

My hope is that Steve is waiting until the touring is done and then they can work on opening the vaults. The only time they've done it, Eddie's Archive, was great.

19. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

99% of Maiden fans are probably into streaming anyways. It will happen eventually but it will be the worthless 2015 remasters downsampled to 16/44

They will not run these tapes again just so they can sell a couple of thousand cd's. Aint gonna happen.

Make the cd's from the flat transfers and bypass the 2015 remastering or don't bother, i'd say.

20. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

My Maiden collection is a bit of a mish mash - a couple are old school Capitol Recs. CDs, a few are the 2-CD Castle Records versions, and one or two are the Sanctuary reissues from the early '00s (incl. the debut with the inexplicably "updated" Eddie art on the front cover)... but I have all the studio albums and key live releases so I'm good.

DiabloG likes this.
  21. Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut

Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut Well-Known Member

I have all of the Iron Maiden albums on cd already.
    But if they give us full live shows, b-sides, and rarities, I'll UP THE IRONS! for another go around.
    Let's see an extended version of Maiden Japan get a cd release!
    I'd be stopping at Seventh Son most likely this time. The quality of the music really dropped off after Adrian Smith left, but they had some massive songs!

[​IMG]

CDlovingKIWI and sunking101 like this.
  22. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I sure hope so. Judas Priest as well. Considering how huge Priest and Maiden it's brutal that the easily availed remasters are ear bleeders and you need to spend so much on a decent sounding discography. Quick estimate how much to get the original US pressings of both bands albums up the early 90s: $500-600US?

Hermes and DiabloG like this.
  23. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Why was the debut's artwork updated? The funny part about this is that the disc itself has the original unaltered cover on the label side.
    Aside from Sin After Sin, Defenders of the Faith, and possibly Hell Bent for Leather, the original Priest CDs aren't terribly expensive when they show up. Unleashed in the East, Screaming for Vengeance, and Turbo in particular are relatively cheap and plentiful in my neck of the woods. The most expensive one I bought was roughly $10 though I forget which album it was. The unremastered Maiden CDs, on the other hand, were pretty pricey IME. In almost every case, $10 was the bare minimum of what I payed. The only exception was the 2-disc Castle version of Love After Death, which I found for $5 at a flea market of all places.

Hermes and Brenald79 like this.
  24. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

I wish I knew. I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time. (shrugs)

25. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I don`t think cds are likely in the cards.I share the same sentiments as others for archive material to be reissued.It`s very unfortunate most of the concerts from the 80`s are out of print,incomplete or not mastered as properly as other reissues.It`s great that every tour from 2000 onward has been documented so widely but there is just so much amazing 80`s live audio that needs attention.