Iron Maiden CD reissues? This is happening!*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hoops12, Jun 13, 2017.

1. el supernautico

el supernautico A traveller of both, time and space

Being better than the 1998 versions is like being better than crap. Are they better than original pressings, that's the question.

2. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Correct. As I understand the situation, the 1980's albums were all mastered in early-mid 2014 for that year's black vinyl reissues from their respective original mixdown master tapes (analog reels up to and including Live After Death, DAT tapes for the digitally-mixed/mastered Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son).

Every album after that in the chronology reissued in 2017 were remastered for vinyl from the new digital masters prepared for the MFiT release in 2015... why they couldn't just go back to the mixdown master tapes and use them for the later vinyl releases is beyond me, it's not as if Maiden are short of liquid capital, the cheapskates... probably Rod Smallwallet's doing!!!

Still think handing all of the mixdown masters over to someone like Chris Bellman, remastering them all at 24/96, and reissuing them on CD/vinyl/digital - physical releases in original vinyl sleeve designs (both outer and inner) - would be the best way to future-proof that catalog for posterity and make for the definitive versions overall... even though I personally wouldn't buy any of them, except for the essential 1980's albums (Maiden Japan included hopefully)...

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  3. el supernautico

As you said, Iron Maiden is not a band with financial problems. They're much more a band with a giant impact and a legacy, even though they're still around. It's really embarassing witnessing all this crappy releases with all sources easily available in good condition...
    I don't want to wait another 10-20 years to get it properly done, but maybe we have to. Give us flat transfers in 24/96, goddam!

4. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I'd love a Di Anno era box. With the original albums, b sides, rarities and some live shows. Maybe replicate the 45s and other covers. Probably not a priority. But, i'd love it.

andy75, Scott6, patient_ot and 7 others like this.
  5. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

You're not alone - throw in a complete Maiden Japan, the Marquee gig that appears on the Live + One Japanese EP, The Soundhouse Tapes etc...

6. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I love lots of album covers and 45 covers by Maiden. Purgatory and Maiden Japan are two faves. And to hear the Soundhouse Tapes on my own stereo would just be awesome.

7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Just because there's tapes does not mean they meet the sound quality and technical requirements of the audiophile labels. Which are strict. Not every recording even if tapes are available will meet those requirements. Ask our host. He can explain them. Also, just because there is master tapes, does not mean the record label will license them to other companies. And there's the group and their managers to deal with as part of that process. And sometimes it can be too expensive to do, and for the reissue company make a profit on it.

8. el supernautico

Why do you doubt "sound quality and technical requirements" of Maiden's tapes? Iron Maiden were professionally recorded from day one and therefore meet any audiophile standards...
    If Judas Priest's "Killing Machine" (aka "Hell Bent For Leather") fit the requirements, why shouldn't Maiden?
    IMHO, you're seeing barriers where there aren't any. If Iron Maiden would be interested (oh, if only they would!) in a properly done, audiophile mastering of their tapes - believe me, they could afford it!

CBackley likes this.
  9. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Ask Steve Hoffman what entails whether an audiophile release, what standards the tapes supplied must meet, and what he and the companies he works for look for for one of their releases. He'll tell you what is involved.

10. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I shelled out a lot money for the black triangle Maiden CDs, but I still feel obligated to get the new Number of the Beast CD, for some reason.

:help:

11. ScaleTheInferno

ScaleTheInferno Forum Resident

I compared the original, 2015 remaster and 2017 needledrop. The 2015 remaster has a touch more clarity/top end than the original, the needledrop had a bit more, it sounded the best. Although both remasters are less muddy, they are still too compressed for that type of mix. I don't understand how Harris could've thought those settings did the music justice, a real shame.

Spaceboy likes this.
  12. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Off Topic but Ide die for a deal with RCA for Priest first two records to get Steve's Gold cd treatment.

Greenalishi likes this.
  13. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

Don't the Black Triangles share the same masterings as the regular EMI CDs ???
    I like the old CDs, but compared to the original vinyl versions, they sound a bit thin and weak.

Spaceboy likes this.
  14. Count Orfloff

Count Orfloff Forum Resident

Just a cheap and quick way to cash in on the massive obsessive Maiden fan base who will buy the whole catalog one again. If audiophile quality is wanted regarding IM, then go for the BT japan cds. I have yet to listen to a decent sounding cd of Somewhere In Time but i guess it will never happen.

Spaceboy likes this.
  15. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

They're both DR06 I think.

16. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

That's your question. I have nice sounding vinyl copies. I also have all the original US CD releases.

17. The Hud

I cannot answer that, I have never had the EMI CDs.

18. el supernautico

You don't need to, it's been confirmed quite a few times within this forum.

Spaceboy likes this.
  19. The Hud

Do the EMI's have the little extras that some of the black triangles have?

For example, Phantom of the Opera has a bit of studio chatter after the song that I had never heard before.

20. el supernautico

I'm confused... do you compare 1998 CD's with 2015 vinyl? And these again with original US CD's?
    Whatever, I just wanted to get through that of course 2015 vinyl sounds better than the 1998 CD's - everything sounds better than nadir.
    I also wanted to know if you think the 2015 vinyl sounds better than original vinyl pressings, that would be far more interesting to me!:agree:

21. el supernautico

There are no "extras". As for the original EMI CD's, yes, "Phantom Of The Opera" has that distorted bit at the end. It's from the vinyl's run-out groove, not an extra.
    The black triangle's only extra is the obi and the price - and the Japanese booklet.;)

Spaceboy likes this.
  22. The Hud

I count it as an "extra" because it isn't on the US Capitol CDs or the remasters. If you want to use a different term, that is totally up to you.

Spaceboy likes this.
  23. el supernautico

Okay, but as you wrote about extraS, and about SOME black triangles, I thought you simply had some wrong information - and in the end, it's the Capitol CD's that have an extra, as neither EMI nor black triangle had "Sanctuary".;)

24. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Nope. I have the original CDs which sound good to me, and the 2015 vinyl that sound good to me and did not cost me an arm and a leg, so I am not really worried about comparing anything at this point.

25. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

Yeah well others are.

el supernautico likes this.