Iron Maiden CD reissues? This is happening!*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hoops12, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I have a bootleg vinyl version and this official CD:

Iron Maiden - The Soundhouse Tapes

It would make a nice little addition to a D'Ianno era box.

Greenalishi likes this.
  2. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

CD sounds horrible, compared to the original 7".

Greenalishi likes this.
  3. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I know what I wrote.

I gave 1 example, which was the extra at the end of Phantom of the Opera.

"Some", means not all, but more than one. At least that is what it means in the US.

There are little extras on "some" of the Iron Maiden black triangle CDs that are not on the US Capitol CDs, but not all of them.

The black triangle CDs are:

Iron Maiden
    Killers
    The Number of the Beast
    Piece of Mind
    Powerslave
    Live After Death

I believe there is something extra on Killers and Piece of Mind as well, but I will have to listen to them again because I can't recall which tracks they are on.

I am fully aware that Sanctuary and Twilight Zone are only on the US versions of the S/T and Killers respectively. I don't know why you brought this up because it has nothing to do with my original post.

Hopefully someone will find all this entertaining, because I sure don't.

4. el supernautico

el supernautico A traveller of both, time and space

Keep your cool, no need to get upset here!:cool:
    The thing is, I don't know your knowledge regarding Iron Maiden (I, for one, am a big fan), and I never heard anything about any extras - never!
    During my 30 years of being fan, I guess something like that should have crossed my paths one way or another.
    I simply concluded that maybe you're new to Iron Maiden, heard some strange rumors or got something wrong. I wanted to help you to sort some things out, and that's why I brought up "Sanctuary".
    I'm not the kind of guy wasting my time fooling other people!:tsk:

I bought the black triangles for "Powerslave" and "Piece of Mind" some 15-20 years ago.
    They contain absolutely nothing extra recording-wise (never expected them to have), and I didn't look for them any further after realizing they're identical to my own EMI's. For me, end of the story.

Use_Your_Koala likes this.
  5. The Hud

You keep making assumptions about me, instead of reading and comprehending what I write.

1. I don't have the EMI CDs, nor have I ever had the EMI CDs.

2. I do have the US Capitol CDs, the 2 CD Castle sets, the 1998 remasters, and the Japanese black triangle CDs.

3. There is the extra studio chatter on the Japanese black triangle Iron Maiden S/T CD on Phantom of the Opera that is not present on the US Capitol CD, the 2 CD Castle, or the 1998 remaster of the first album.

4. There are a couple of other instances of extra studio chatter, but I cannot remember exactly what tracks they are on.

5. Get your hands on the US Capitol Iron Maiden CDs, and you can hear it for yourself.

6. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

How does US Capitals compare to the Black Triangles?

7. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I have the US Capitals and never noticed any extra studio chatter? Like what exactly?

8. The Hud

It isn't on the US Capitols. It is on the Black Triangles and apparently the EMI CDs as well.

I will listen and try to describe the best I can exactly what is going on.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  9. The Hud

The black triangles are superior, it just depends if you like Maiden enough to shell out the money. Live After Death is the cheapest one, so you can get it and see how much you prefer it to the US Capitol CD.

Brenald79 likes this.
  10. The Hud

Okay, it isn't studio chatter. After a 10 second pause, Paul says in a "processed" voice "Torture me back at your laire". This is included in the Japanese lyrics sheet. I had never heard this passage until I got the black triangle CD.

John Bliss likes this.
  11. The Hud

12. el supernautico

el supernautico A traveller of both, time and space

The mastering regarding Maiden's 80ties output is always the same up until the 1998 remasters.
    It is discussed very detailed here. The black triangles differ in a physically higher pressing quality if you're into that - digitally, they're exactly the same. Also, the EMI/Castle/black triangle vary slightly in level shiftings - on some equipment, that might lead to a change, on others not.
    Worth of notion is the fact that "The First Ten Years" mastering (box set or single CD's) has indeed a different mastering - as the original vinyl singles themselves had.
    So, my advise is to look out for any of the early pressings, as they're basically all the same.
    And if you want the best pressings for the singles and their respective B-sides, go for the "The First Ten Years" stuff.

13. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I have some different pressings of this album on cd and vinyl, and so of course I have this coda version. For example the black triangle has this little coda at the end of the song.
    First pressing UK vinyl and some other early editions have that little added thing at the end of the song. 1st UK, the later UK Fame-edition, Japanese pressing and the later released Czech pressings have it also.
    I haven't checked my all pressings of the albums on vinyl or cd, but I suppose that on cd (according to discogs) versions released before 1995 should have that longer version (not all as this more like case by case and edition by edition).
    Atleast the 1995 2cd EU-version has it if the track length is correct on the pages..just checking some info on this from discogs.
    Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden

14. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Anyways, Im looking forward to the reissues and hope that these will be upgrade from the 1998 which have been on market for so many years already.
    I really hope that the new ones will be great releases, but if something fails then luckily and of course I have the old pressings to listen to.

DiabloG, metalrules and Kiss73 like this.
  15. The Hud

I was looking through Discogs last night, and it appears that ALL the CDs made in the USA and Canada have the shortened version of Phantom of the Opera, all other CDs have the longer version. Weird!

16. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Ok, good to point that out. :righton:

The Hud likes this.
  17. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I thought others had already compared to the digital files, and made up their mind???

18. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

I think I heard it in the first EMI CD (from Europe).
    And what about the "Piece of mind" album ? I would very much like to know what is extra in there.

19. The Hud

I listened to Killers last night, and there wasn't any extra like I thought there was. I will listen to Piece of Mind in the next couple of days and see if my memory is correct on that one.

Vinyl Fan 1973 and Zongadude like this.
  20. moofassa_ca

moofassa_ca Senior Member

The packaging looks great, but I'm quite happy with my Canadian, European original cd's.

21. The Hud

These reissues have shown up on Amazon US.

$13.98 per CD
    $23.98 for the deluxe Number of the Beast

I went ahead and pre-ordered the deluxe NOTB, and the other three. Hopefully the price will come down.

22. Vinyl Fan 1973

Thanks, I have the EMI as well and I don't hear it, but please let me know because I'll go back and listen to specific sections that you hear them in. I love little details like this and perhaps I'm just missing it.

23. Vinyl Fan 1973

Oh that! Yes that's the original ending, but that's on my Fame UK CD as well. That drove me crazy because it's not on the US or Canadian vinyl pressings or their CD counterparts, only the UK I believe, so when I bought the Fame CD and heard it on there I was a very happy man. Love that ending.

That really is the only thing that sticks out Maiden wise though, I don't believe there is anything else like that to create a variant between different pressings...CD or otherwise.

The Hud likes this.
  24. Vinyl Fan 1973

Nothing.

25. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

The 2001 reissues were horrible