Iron Maiden Song By Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

Woe to you, Forum Members,
    For I Review The Legends with Wrath
    Because They Knew The Time Was Short
    Let Him Who Hath Reckon Understanding The Number Of the Beast
    For It is a Human Number
    It Is Sixty Hundred and Sixty Six

Hello and welcome to my first career-spanning Song by Song, this being for the great Iron Maiden, who have had some great peaks and low valleys, but remain mighty legends of heavy metal. There is simply no talking metal without these guys, and let's get it going! Today, we will talk about the Soundhouse Tapes, the early history of Iron Maiden, and how we got into Iron Maiden.

Up the Irons!

2. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Bring it on brother!

Frosst and Zoot Marimba like this.
  3. drapes

drapes Forum Resident

Haha! Wonderful! I've been reduced to mostly lurking here for a couple of years, but I may have to join in on this one!

Frosst and Zoot Marimba like this.
  4. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

In a record store in 1981 a teenage kid buys the new release on the wall because of the cover.
    Iron Maiden Killers ? never heard of them but that cover is awesome.
    Takes it home gives it a spin and a teenage head explodes.
    The kid goes back to the store a few days later and finds out they have another album and
    buys that along with a few 12 in import singles and the kids brains are now all over the floor.
    The kid would never be the same again.
    Up the Irons.

5. Zoot Marimba

An awesome story!

JonnyKidd and Frosst like this.
  6. Zoot Marimba

How I Discovered Iron Maiden:
    I knew of Iron Maiden from reading about them and people talking of them, but it wasn't until watching Flight 666 that I was blown away: not only is it a great rocumentary, but the performances wowed me, and just the sheer passion people had for this band was mind blowing, it seemed damn near Beatles at times, so I checked out the albums one by one, my favorite albums being the first two to three, but I also loved Piece of Mind and Powerslave, liked Somewhere In Time, kind of iffy on the next two, and by Fear of the Dark, I was like "Yeah, I'm out of here." Never heard the Blaze albums because I heard so many bad things about them, and my mom got me Book of Souls for Christmas, so I'm going into some records cold, so this should be interesting.

7. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Essential viewing about the early history of the band:

JonnyKidd, DaverJ, Baphomet and 14 others like this.
  8. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

IRON ****ING MAIDEN

How are they not yet in the RRHOF? Greatest band in the world, hands down.

9. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I was always aware of Iron Maiden, but for years I was always kind of resistant towards metal in general because I viewed it as sort of a fringe thing that only "metalheads" were into. I eventually got into Black Sabbath, which opened my mind a little and made me curious about other metal bands. At first, I was a little intimidated by Iron Maiden because of their violent imagery and what I perceived as Satanic lyrics. I eventually realized that my perceptions of both Iron Maiden and metal in general were wrong and gradually began to like them more and more. Now Iron Maiden is one of my favorite metal bands (pretty much neck and neck with Black Sabbath for first place).

10. HankM

HankM Senior Member

My favorite band since when I heard Piece Of Mind on vinyl back in 1983!

JonnyKidd, hutchguv, The MEZ and 5 others like this.
  11. Cheevyjames

@Musicman1998 thank you for starting this thread. I'll be here from now until Empire of the Clouds.

Iron Maiden is my favorite band. They're why I'm a musician and thus directly and indirectly responsible for many aspects of my life. The name "Iron Maiden" had been floating around my world throughout 1988, but it wasn't until the summer of 1989 when I was 13 years old that this band took a hold of me and never let go. Both my older brother and best friend were into the band and directly responsible for my indoctrination. I admit, the music didn't grab me at first. I was a hardcore Journey fan didn't have time for much else. I remember that summer we listened to Live After Death every single day and there was a day, maybe a couple of weeks into the summer, where I caught myself singing the songs while walking around the house. It took me back because I wasn't a heavy metal fan and frankly I didn't want to be one. It was all kind of scary, haha. So in singing these songs I thought, "wow, I know this stuff pretty well, do I actually like this band? YES! YES I DO". I just had to admit it to myself. Then....the floodgates opened and Journey was slowly but steadily moved to the #2 spot and Maiden took over. Naturally Maiden led to me becoming seriously in love with heavy metal and that hasn't changed since that summer. Yeah, I've expanded my listening tastes over the years, but I'll always love metal and every new Maiden album is like being a kid again. Every release day is like a holiday. A new Maiden album in my grubby mitts is one of the best feelings in the world.

Up the Irons!

12. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Great thread idea. The Kiss thread is winding down so this will be a fun one to be a part of. I'm not sure if I am going to have enough to talk about each song and the last 25 years I have minimal interest in but I'm in for the classic era.

How I got into Maiden:
    Probably the only band I got into because of their album covers. It peaked my interest. My elementary school friend had the SIT album so I borrowed that. It was OK but it didn't cause me to look into them further until a few years later when another friend got Live After Death and a few other albums which finally got me into them so I picked up their whole catalog pretty quickly. This was right before FOD came out as I bought that right when it came out.
    I saw them on the FOD tour in Irvine, CA 7/2/92, X-Factor tour in Providence, RI 2/14/96, and Brave New World Tour in Hartford, CT 8/8/00. If they do a another throwback tour in my area I would be interested. Crazy I haven't seen them in 18 years!

13. Madness

First got into them with Piece of Mind when that came out. Rabid fan ever since.

JonnyKidd, GurraG, izombie73 and 7 others like this.
  14. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Funny enough I watched that and Pt 2 last week. I love the youtubes

JonnyKidd and Zoot Marimba like this.
  15. Zombie

Zombie Forum Resident

Definitely one of my favourite bands. The album that turned me to them was Live After Death back in 1985. Still my favourite live album of all time.

16. Cheevyjames

Agreed! I was really disappointed in Part 3 since it looked so cheaply made. Sometimes I really wonder what goes through Steve's head.

JonnyKidd likes this.
  17. Madness

I was at I think the 4th night of that epic run at Long Beach Arena in '85. Epic. Then saw them on July 5th the same year do it all over again. More of the Epicness.

JonnyKidd, Marmite, Frosst and 4 others like this.
  18. Jama

Jama Forum Resident

I think Powerslave is my favourite of theirs :)

19. Madness

Have the original tracks' recordings from The Soundhouse Tapes ever been released for our consumption? I think the tracks are Iron Maiden, Invasion, and Prowler. Invasion the only one of the three that were not on a studio release, but I think it was on Ed Hunter or something.

JonnyKidd and Zoot Marimba like this.
  20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I got into them much like @ArpMoog did. I used to go to the record store in the mall and look around for new releases (specifically heavy metal releases) and saw the album Killers in the "I" section. This was around when it was released. The cover took me in right away but I misread the name and thought it was IRAN Maiden and thought, "what a strange name for a band". I'm not sure if I bought the album that day or not, but I picked it up soon after. The music on Killers blew me away with how tight the band was and, more importantly, me being a young bass player, Steve Harris! That gallop! He was all over the place! I hadn't heard a bass player like that since Geddy Lee. Suffice to say I went back and found their first album and I liked it even better than Killers. I became a total nut job for the band and, for a time, they were my favorite band of all. I saw them in 1982 open for Scorpions (with Girlschool in support), 1983 with Fastway and Saxon (caught one of Harris's sweaty wrist bands at that show!) and 1985 when they came around with Vinnie Vincent Invasion. I had tickets to the Powerslave tour, too, but was sick the day of the concert and didn't go. That was a bummer.

I haven't seen them live since 1985 and really don't care to now. The last album I really liked was Somewhere In Time but now I think even that album is pretty flawed. I didn't like Seventh Son at all. I've picked around a bit on some later releases, but nothing has ever grabbed me much. I'm definitely a fan of classic era the most (Di'Anno era is my very favorite), but Bruce Bruce's early run is quite up there for me, too. But, yeah, I've read some books on them and watched the Sam Dunn documentary Flight 666. I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about them in general but more so, their early career, and past members.

21. Madness

Your loss. I've seen them at least a dozen times, including in support of The Book of Souls recently. They always put on a great show, and The Book of Souls is pretty freaking great IMO.

JonnyKidd, OasisFan, KAJ1971 and 3 others like this.
  22. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Your story mirrors mine to a good degree. I'll add that I was attending a Christian (Baptist) private school from 89-92 (junior high years). Any secular 'rock' music was directly produced by Lucifer himself or made to worship Beelzebub. When I went to public highschool is when my eyes and ears began to open. I was initially introduced to Maiden in 94 by a buddy who played Bass in a garage band that performed many Maiden covers as well as other metal acts. He was a HUGE fan and wanted to share the love. Unfortunately for me, he played some deep cuts that I don't even remember. They definitely weren't the powerhouse hits like 'Trooper','Run', or 'Number'. So they fell in my ears like "meh". It wouldn't be until 'Brave New World' and I heard 'Wicker Man' that I started to dip my toe in their waters. I picked up 'Edward the Great' compilation CD. I played the hell out of it but didn't pick up anything else until 'Flight 666' and loved the doc and was taken a back by the live concert tracks. THAT'S when their magic took hold of me. I've been collecting their records ever since and seen them lucky enough to have seen them twice. I LOVE THIS BAND. \m/\m/ Up The Irons!

23. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I'm sure you view at as my loss. Maybe it is. I just haven't been interested in seeing them live since then. I know they put on a great show still (by evidence of Dunn film). I just don't go to many live shows anymore. That's about the best excuse I can give, but I really don't need to justify myself.

24. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

Skipping way ahead but A Matter of Life and Death is a real slow-burn grower. Took more than 10 listens to connect with me.

25. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I might add that I was in several crap cover bands as a teenager that played a few Maiden covers like "Killers", "Wrathchild", and "Phantom of the Opera" and they were a bitch to play. I'd be a sweaty mess after playing a Maiden tune. A true work out and hard as hell to get it tight and sound even half way convincing.

Gus Tomato, BDC, Paulette and 7 others like this.