Iron Maiden Song By Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

I just found an old live clip of them doing Prowler:

This is pretty good, definitely better than the Remember Tomorrow cover.

2. Not sure about that metallica cover....I do like the Uncle Acid cover though

Rapid Fire, SammyJoe, drapes and 2 others like this.
  3. StuJM84

StuJM84 Forum Resident

Its a good song, a very good one in fact. Its is, along with Strange World, the most un-Maiden like song that 'Maiden ever did. And that is not necessarily a bad thing. I've always enjoyed it, but for some reason thought it was a post-apocalyptic theme, didn't know it was about Di'Anno's grandad.

4. Zoot Marimba

Wow, that is great. Really cool, moody stoner vibe to it. Not as big on the vocals, but can hang.

Soundhead likes this.
  5. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

One of my favorite songs. I like how Di'Anno leaves out the last "Fire" in the final chorus. For me, it evokes a sense that something has changed since the begining of the song, like he escaped the fire, or was perhaps drawn deeper into it. He probably just missed the note or something so they cut it haha.

6. drapes

drapes Forum Resident

Hi all!

My 'getting into Iron Maiden' story is pretty typical: I saw the artwork for Powerslave in a full-page ad in one of the music magazines of the time; Circus, Kerrang! or whatever and just had to have it. Went out and bought it blind. '85 I guess? I had probably heard a few other tracks before then but wasn't overly familiar with them, but loved it immediately. Live After Death came out not long after that and I loved it at the time. It was sort a 'greatest hit's introduction to the band for me, but I don't like it as much now. The songs, while having decent energy, are too close to the originals for my liking. I ended up getting all the records and saw them on the Somewhere In Time tour. Like many, I got off the train at No Fear For the Dying. I've followed them peripherally since then and even seen them live a couple more times, but I can't get into their albums.

My top 2 favs are the classic-era bookends; s/t and SSOASS with s/t taking the top spot by a slight margin. I'll always have a soft spot for Powerslave though and it rounds out the top 3 for me.

Cranking the recent vinyl reissue of s/t now in honor of this thread. Being from Canada, I can't quite get my head around the lack of Sanctuary on side 2. But anyway, what a debut! It's hard to pick any one song as my absolute favourite Maiden track, but it if was forced to Remember Tomorrow would probably be it.

izombie73, SammyJoe and Zoot Marimba like this.
  7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

"Remember Tomorrow" is one of my favorite songs on the s/t. I think it's a piece that makes the debut as good as it is. That light/shade type of composition that moves from softer sections to heavier ones, but what really makes it a great song is that it's the first time we're introduced to Steve Harris's melodic bass playing as his descending lines during the verses are quite well placed. Di'Anno's vocals are on the spot for this and along with "Strange World", "RT" provides some true variance on the album. A classic Iron Maiden track in my book.

Here's Crowbar's version of it from Slave to the Power - A Tribute to Iron Maiden.

8. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I noticed him leaving the last "Fire" out as well. I think it's probably because he couldn't hit the note and they just decided to let the guitars cover it instead.

9. Since I posted that Uncle Acid cover I may as well tell how I got into Maiden, 11 years old listening to the charts back in the U.K. and heard Run to the Hills, I'd never heard anything like it before and I loved it I bought the single and the LP (NOTB) and was hooked. I bought their earlier LP's, early singles and anything I could get my hands on and was an avid fan up to and including Somewhere in Time and even saw them on that tour. My changing musical tastes and their change in sound meant I dropped off when Seventh Son came out. I still very much love those first 6 Studio LP's though and Live after Death.

izombie73 and Zoot Marimba like this.
  10. Zoot Marimba

I don't know a lot of Crowbar, but I like that cover.

GodShifter likes this.
  11. Prowler is a great opener....
    Remember Tomorrow moves up a notch, brilliant song.
    I don' like any of Bruce's vocals covering the Di'anno period.
    Without doubt they had a certain magic on those early songs.

12. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

[​IMG]

By the way, I mentioned Slave to the Power above and it's a great album of covers from various stoner/doom/metal outfits. It's definitely recommended if you're a Maiden fan and aren't a stickler for everything sounding exactly true to the originals. No real heavy hitters on it (well, Sebastian Bach, uh ..), but a good line up of very interesting bands.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  13. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Remember Tomorrow

Right off the bad we have a Steve Harris trademark and one of the ways he approached the bass differently than others. He's playing a chord on the bass, arpeggiated. Meaning, one note at a time, but still keeping the chord fully formed so that the notes ring out. It's a simple E-F pattern, but with Steve playing the full chords (EBE, FCF) it gives so much fullness to the song and leaves space for Dave to add the harmonics and then in the verses he and Dennis play the fuller E minor-F major chords. Steve's use of bass chords is something he draws from all of the time, every album I'm sure, and it makes him stand out as a bassist. It was highly influential for me as a bassist and opens up huge realm of possibility of what you can do with the instrument and with composing. He does play some bass chords in Prowler, but here in Remember Tomorrow is the first use of them played in the way as on the intro. It's almost like he's an extra guitarist rather than "just" a bass player. Cool way of approaching the music.

I love the spooky vibe of this song. The refrain is heavy but it's got this really dark quality to it that's so appealing to me. I love how the band doesn't speed up the song at this point, it keeps the same slow pace until the middle section where it really kicks into gear. Dave's solo is brilliant, really creative and well-written. I love it how in the harmony section between the solos Steve really punches his playing to the next level. It's not quite his trademark gallop, but it's fast and powerful. Dennis plays a great solo too and then we're back to the spooky/mellow stuff. My goodness, I love how I can focus on all 5 of these guys and they're all doing something really creative and interesting. This is Paul's best vocal performance in Maiden. It's clear how much this song meant to him. It's common to have a "slow" song come up as track 2 and I love how the band threw that cliche on it's head by making this slow CREEPY song with the blazing middle section. Again, that's a Steve Harris trademark already in full maturity here - tempo changes. While Prowler was more punkish, this is proggy all the way. He was a great songwriter even at this early in his career.

Remember Tomorrow is a phenomenal song.

This sounds like a sped up version of the one from the Number of the Beast single. Here it is at correct speed:

Fun fact, this is the same version from Maiden Japan, but with Paul's vocals wiped and like @Musicman1998 said, Bruce overdubbed his vocal in the studio. Great version of the song.

14. MusicMatt

MusicMatt Quality over Quantity

Here’s Maiden United’s cover. They are an Iron Maiden cover band with a unique twist.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  15. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Oooh, I love the use of the piano in there! That was quite good. Thanks!

Zoot Marimba and MusicMatt like this.
  16. drapes

drapes Forum Resident

That's a great cover!

Zoot Marimba and Soundhead like this.
  17. drapes

drapes Forum Resident

Agreed. It's basically the only one I don't mind to hear Bruce sing.

I could swear I read or saw an interview somewhere with Bruce saying it was basically his performance of Remember Tomorrow that got him hired.

Meyer, Man at C&A and Zoot Marimba like this.
  18. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

This is an excellent album, the Hoyry-Kone cover of 'The Trooper' is one of the best. HK later became became Alamaailman Vasarat. I gave a copy to Bruce when I interviewed him in 2000. He said he doesn't like straight covers and prefers that bands transform the songs completely, I told him he'd love the HK Trooper. I'd like to know what he thought.

GodShifter and Zoot Marimba like this.
  19. Zoot Marimba

The live clip I posted had him say that.

drapes, Jeff Kent and MusicMatt like this.
  20. drapes

drapes Forum Resident

Haha! I obviously didn't watch it... my memory isn't *that* bad!

But thanks!

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  21. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Gotta say I'm pretty bummed about there being no physical video release. Like....why? :(

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  22. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

"Remember Tomorrow" is proof that Maiden could pull off slower and moodier pieces this early in the game.

23. rubberhead

rubberhead I've never made a bad record

I'm not going to wax poetic, just assert that "Remember Tomorrow" is one of many career highlights. Obviously a standout among standouts on side 1 of the debut; when you think of it, the first side of the record shows off the wide range this original version of Iron Maiden were capable of: a chaotic rocker, something in a slow/fast mood, a gritty gang chant, and a big dramatic showpiece. What's interesting to me is to look back and remember (as it were) that in 1980 there weren't that many straight-up metal bands and not that much precedent for songs like these, ala "Beyond the Realms of Death," where the balladic intro worked so seamlessly with the fast sections and didn't come off as weak or awkward. Great song.

izombie73, CBackley, SammyJoe and 4 others like this.
  24. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Listening to Maiden Japan the definitive version of RT imo.
    The UK and Gema 45rpm originals I have sounds better then the 5 song US.
    It would be great to get a nice press of the entire show.
    I think what set Maiden apart from everyone else at the time were all the singles
    with the wicked art.

SammyJoe, MusicMatt and Zoot Marimba like this.
  25. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Sorry, typed too quickly, what you said is what i meant;)

Zoot Marimba likes this.