Iron Maiden Song By Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

I'm A Mover:

We reach the first Slaughter B-Side with a cover of Free's "I'm A Mover", written by vocalist Paul Rodgers and bassist Andy Fraser and it appears on the band's debut album Tons of Sobs. I'd imagine Dave had a lot to do with covering this since he's a big Free fan and a big Paul Kosoff fan, even purchased Kosoff's black Fender Stratocaster that was in an advertisement. Well Dave, you have excellent taste.
    Overall, this is a damn fine cover, Bruce nails the feel and the vibe of the original, Steve does a mean Andy Frasier, love Murray on here, Nicko, overall, they do a very good job covering this tune, although I still perfer the original.

SammyJoe, Standoffish and MusicMatt like this.
  2. Zoot Marimba

Free's version:

SammyJoe, Almost Simon and MusicMatt like this.
  3. MusicMatt

MusicMatt Quality over Quantity

I'm A Mover
    Up until acquiring the Bring Your Daughter picture disc, the only Free song I knew was "All Right Now." I can distinctly remember first hearing "I'm A Mover" way back when first listening to the Maiden cover and not being real impressed. A little too bluesy for my then 17 year old mind. I've warmed up to it since but still not my go to Maiden B-side. I can appreciate the musicianship though. 2/5

SammyJoe and Zoot Marimba like this.
  4. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I’m going to retract what I said above. It’s All In Your Mind rocks. Plain and simple. I love Nicko and Steve on this one. It’s got some serious swing to it.

5. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I’m a Mover doesn’t do much for me. I find the rhythm to be quite plodding, and the tune rather boring overall.

6. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

I'm A Mover:

I'm not really feeling it on this one and the song does not move me.
    I listened to the IM version, then the Free version, then the IM version again and I just don't like the song.

The Free version is only 2:56 long and it felt like 10 minutes to me.

That's my take, next...

SammyJoe, Zoot Marimba and MusicMatt like this.
  7. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I'm A Mover -

It's okay, Bruce is the weak link for me here. How do you cover Paul Rodgers? Maybe if Bruce had his vocal chops on top form at the time then yes but his vocals around this era weren't that great (for me.) The band pull it off pretty well but it just isnt as good as Free.

8. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

I'm a Mover

I really love the groove on Maiden's version. It breathes a lot better than the Free version. Maiden sound great on this song, everyone plays well. Steve's got a really thick bass tone here and you can really hear it during the solos. This is another example of the choice of B-sides reflecting the mood of the main album - definitely a "back to basics" feel here and we'll get that again tomorrow. Good tune, good cover.

9. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

I'm A Mover

I love the groove of the original, but the song kind of goes nowhere. I prefer Maiden's take, where they bring more energy with the guitars and bring a heavy metal edge.

A good b-side. :thumbsup:

10. Zoot Marimba

To be fair, that was Free's first record, and one of their weaker ones, if not the weakest.

Standoffish likes this.
  11. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Yeah, they certainly put out some great music. This just isn't one of my faves.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  12. Zoot Marimba

Definitely, and goddamnit, why is All Right Now the only tune I ever hear:realmad:

13. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I turn over when it comes on. Too much of one song. I have the 2cd best of "Molten Gold?" and the bought that 5cd cheap box last year which is ace - wish it had all of their albums but it'll do for now. But Gold radio is overkill on that one song.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  14. IMFXL

IMFXL Forum Resident

Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter B-Sides

I'm A Mover - Of the 4 total cover songs used as B-Sides for the NPFTD album, this is the weakest of the bunch. It's just a general rock song, and seems like something they may have just thrown together, maybe as they were rehearsing for the album, as Janick was new and they may have needed some material to break him in. Otherwise I'm not sure where the choice of cover songs derived.

Communication Breakdown - if any band could pull off a Led Zeppelin cover it would be Maiden, and with this one they do not disappoint. Bruce's vocals can easily reach the levels of Plant and with Communication Breakdown the range is off the charts. There is no struggle for Bruce on this one though, and it's an overall very enjoyable listen as far as cover songs go.

15. erickana666

erickana666 Forum Resident

Cant wait for fear of the darkmmy first cd bought ever !

TexasBuck, CBackley and Zoot Marimba like this.
  16. Zoot Marimba

Can't wait to hear from you, and good luck with your Alice Cooper thread.

Just curious, how old are you?

17. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

All inMy Mind: I liked this one a lot. Although stripped back , in keeping with the sound of the album itself, I felt it had a very maiden sound to it. This one was good enough to cause me to download the original, which I also like. I actually wish maiden had played it out in full, like Stray’s longer version. Had they done so, I am sure Steve and Nicko could have had some really great interplay on the longer parts in the middle that they did not include in the shorter maiden version.

Kill Me: I like this as well, though not as much. I loved Golden Earring’s two big hits (only two decades apart), but every time I tried their full albums, I did not buy into the overall sound. I guess I saw them as a two hit wonder. Since this song was not one of the two hits, I like it but don’t love it.

Overal, I am in agreement with many that this was where the b-sides began to go down hill. The b-sides for me, beginning with I’ve got the Fire, were always an event to look forward to, introducing me to Maiden’s influence, usually with songs i didn’t know. Beginning with NPftD, the b sides stop being eye openers for me. Some were fun, like All in my Mind, but they stooped being show stoppers.

18. erickana666

erickana666 Forum Resident

Just got 43

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  19. Zoot Marimba

Ah!

20. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

I really liked I’m a Mover. I felt like it was a left field choice for them, but I will say that Free often had some great bass guitar work in their songs, so I could see Harris being inspired by them. Bruce doing Paul Rodgers was a stretch, but with the raspy voice he employed on this particular album, it really works. Not a typical Maiden sound, but as a B Side it is the perfect place for them to stretch out and pay tribute to a band that might not logically be seen as an influence. I give this one two thumbs up.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  21. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

"I'm A Mover", I remember hearing the first few Free albums in my childhood, so anyways, I feel it's definitely cool and nice that Maiden decided to cover some Free.
    Bruce's more raspy voice actually fits nicely to the song as it's got that little soulfulness aswell, the band performs really groovy here. Good song, but this is great cover after all.

Zoot Marimba and MusicMatt like this.
  22. Zoot Marimba

Communication Breakdown:

And now we come to the second B-Side to Slaughter, a cover of the Led Zeppelin classic written by all four members of Zeppelin, and if you can't name Em all, why are you on this forum? Anyway, the song was originally on Led Zeppelin's first record and was the B-Side to Good Times, Back Times. This has been called proto punk for it's resemblance to what would come to be known as punk, and in particular, Johnny practicing his famous downstroke-oriented style by playing the song repeatedly.
    Overall, this isn't the worst Led Zeppelin cover, certainly Iron Maiden puts their stamp on it, since anything they play will sound like Maiden. On the other hand, I feel like Bruce, while he's hitting the notes, doesn't capture the howl of Robert Plant's vocals on the original, and generally the instrumentation lacks the looseness of the Mighty Zep. This may sound strange, but I could see Di'Anno era Maiden doing this tune, since
    1. Di'Anno's vocals have more grit to them.
    2. The early lineup with him and Clive had more looseness to it.
    3. The original sort of tows the line between rawness and musicality, as did original Maiden.
    Anyway, a decent cover, but not a pimple on the ass of the original.

23. MusicMatt

MusicMatt Quality over Quantity

Communication Breakdown

Cool cover! Communication Breakdown is one of a handful of Zeppelin songs I like and of course me being me, I prefer the Maiden version. I'll go hide behind a rock now.

SammyJoe and izombie73 like this.
  24. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Communication Breakdown

What a weird song for Maiden to cover. Bruce sounds like butt here, just awful. Maiden is way too tight and professional to play this song. Covering Communication Breakdown goes with the feel of the album, but I think if they did a Zeppelin song they should've gone with something more majestic. This sounds almost hokey, like they did it for a laugh. By far, the worst B-side they've done so far.

Oh, and here's the original to compare:

25. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

Communication Breakdown

Man this song just doesn't do it for me. I guess I like the original to much and the Maiden song just doesn't move me. I think they do a great job at making it there own but it's not what I would listen to when I want to hear this song.