Iron Maiden Song By Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Nov 8, 2017.

1. MusicMatt

MusicMatt Quality over Quantity

Be Quick or be Dead

I can remember first hearing this single a few weeks before the album dropped and remembering that I loved it but at the same time was upset that Bruce was still going for the raspy sound. A great song that I hope they dust off for the Legacy of the Beast Tour. We shall see. I mentioned before the roller coaster aspect of this album and Be Quick starts us off at the drop of the first hill. Where will we go from here?
    Fun fact: When I saw them live on July 2 1992, just as the opening pre-recorded tape ended someone threw an M-80 or cherry bomb or something up above the crowd and it exploded exactly at the time between the end of the tape and the rapid fire snare drum start of Be Quick. Not that I condone illegal fireworks but it was simply awesome to witness.
    The artwork for this single is dreadful but the song is great. 4/5

2. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

Fear of The Dark Album:
    Honestly I lost interest in Maiden after No Prayer. I felt they lost there edge. I was familiar with so many 80's bands putting out 1 or 2 good albums and then going downhill. I thought yep that's it for Maiden (honestly I was happy because they had done so many great albums before No Prayer)

I didn't even pick it up FOtD until after they started playing Wasted Love on the radio (I'm a sucker and a half for a power ballad)

That being said my musical taste in 92 pulled me in so many great directions, Faith No More, Dream Theater, Alice in Chains, The Black Crowes, REM, Soul Asylum, Screaming Trees. Hell Def Leppard put out Adrenelized that year. I bought so much music! I still love all those bands and many others and listen to all of it regularly.
    Good Times! Great Times!

Be Quick Or Be Dead:

After picking this up and doing the normal whole album listen through I really liked it. Not all of the songs but enough to see Maiden wasn't done. The opening song tempo fits the song title, its quick and dirty Maiden style. It's a great opener and it just rocks. Bruce's lyrics work for me on this one and I sometimes use the song title to get my kids to hurry up :agree: (I'll be like we need to get in the car, now. Be Quick or Be Dead!) my kids laugh as they know the song and of course we have been listening to Maiden since they were born. More Good Times!

Well that's my take.

SammyJoe, rubberhead, The Hud and 6 others like this.
  3. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Now this seems like a good tip. I've used the studio version of Leavin' Here by Motörhead to do the very same thing. I feel now BQOBD needs to be tried too.:cool:

4. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

I don't own Fear of the Dark and never have. My brother had it back when it was new and I never picked up one of my own. Unless it's $1 or $2 bucks I don't see that changing.

I'm somewhere between scared and interested in the middle part of this album because I don't think I know anything past the fourth song other than the title cut. My vague memory is that this album makes No Prayer For the Dying sound like The Number of the Beast. The wheels didn't fall off when Blaze got there.

Be Quick of Be Dead. This song is okay, I'd say it's a middling B level Iron Maiden effort or a strong C level one. Again I'm immediately turned off by Bruce's singing style which I find distracting.

5. And so onto 1992.
    Overall Thoughts at the end...

Be Quick Or Be Dead
    A great Maiden single...ruined by the production!!!
    I remember them saying they wanted a more modern sounding album...with Nicko's snare coming in for close scrutiny.
    I don't like it at all....and it's aged even worse.
    Otherwise, a strong opening to....well we'll find out.
    4/5

6. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Be Quick or Be Dead

Good aggressive start. I agree that it's similar to "Moonchild" - it grabs you by the throat to open the the album.

Lyrically, I'm not sure what's going on. Something about about looking out for corrupt politicians and religious leaders who want to use you for their own gain? At any rate, I like Bruce's snarl on this one.

A handmade Iron Maiden quilt? That's awesome! :edthumbs:

7. SizzleVonSizzleton

We're going to need to see a picture of this quilt.

Not a phrase I expected to say in this thread.:)

8. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Hahahahaha.

9. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

No bullying guys! Man how time have changed... just 5 or 10 years ago I would have said the same thing. I have kids so I would be an advocate. Though I get the pics or it isn't true sentiment. I would bet good money that the dude actually has all that stuff he says and more he hasn't revealed. For the most part I think most of the regular folks in this thread are on and above the board, music lovers, and definitely Iron Maiden fans....

10. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

We want to see the quilt because it sounds awesome!

I wish I had a cool Maiden shirt collection. All I have is NOTB and A Real Dead One shirts, both of them too small for me currently. :(

11. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

They don't fit us now because, much like me, we where probably so small when the original stuff came out. Yea that's what it is... And now, well i'd venture to say we lean to the size of large (cough extra large) :laugh: It's all good though and I hope we get to see the quilt :-popcorn:if not no worries...

12. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Maybe when Maiden retires there will be an overweight Eddie asleep on the couch with potato chip crumbs all over himself. :)

13. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

That would be my perfect Eddie, sitting on a couch, watching the game (movie, news, reality show (maybe)) munching down on chips (and salsa) Derek Riggs drawn. Bad to the F'n bone!!! hahaha

14. Silksashbash

Silksashbash Forum Resident

This reminds me of Tankard's mascot, last seen looking like this in 2017
    [​IMG]

izombie73, CBackley, SammyJoe and 2 others like this.
  15. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Bought this album on it's week of release... and even then, in my 15/16-year-old blissful ignorance of life, I knew something was off with this opus... it wasn't bad, per se, but it wasn't particularly memorable either... it was all just so *MEH*... the songs were... okay; the production was... better than it's predecessor but still... merely okay; the sleeve art was... okay; nothing rises above a mere... well, okay :yawn:... the Irons were most definitely on cruise control at this point, Bruce was (by his own admission) pretty miserable at this point, visibly bored out of his mind with the band, and all but out the door already... and who can blame him?

Considering the musical revolution that was sweeping the industry at the time, Maiden were the epitome of the proverbial 'rock dinosaur' at this point... but worse than that, they were also something that heretofore could never be leveled at the band prior... they were BORING, alas...

16. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I swear that while I yesterday listened to BQOBD (and some more tracks from the album) and I was writing the few lines for the review, I typed roller coaster thing to desbcribe the journey on the album.
    I think the whole term of such ride, riding roller coaster where the first song feels so energetic, hectic, fast paced ride..it does leave me wonder where shall we go next? It feels so good packed song to begin with.
    But I was somehow distracted and then forgot about it as I changed few sentences here and there. I hope that we will hear this on the upcoming Legacy Of The Beast-tour. It's about time to be picked for setlists.

MusicMatt and izombie73 like this.
  17. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I tend to agree. Whilst I am very fond of FOTD and the production is an improvement over the NPFTD it still didn't sound great. And yes, the music had changed. Grunge was big. Whilst I was still very much into Maiden and would go and see them live twice the following year I was also big into the likes of Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana etc. And when Bruce left there was so many other good bands and music styles around that I kind of forgot them for a number of years. This was the last album that still had my full attention. I was 19/20 at the time.

18. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Wow, holy crap! I had no idea what I started. Yeah, I'll get a picture of it whenever I'm able to take it. I'll probably have to stand on a table to get the whole thing in shot. It's not just Maiden, but it's mostly Maiden. My SIL basically just stitched together all my old metal shirts (fronts and backs) and made this big thing. It's actually more of a blanket than a quilt (no knitting). I'll try to get a pic tonight if I have time.

19. CBackley

Definitely no bullying here. I want to see this quilt! I will die with envy.

I bought my daughter a Maiden shirt with the cover art from NOTB when she was about 8 months old.

20. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

I saw those on Amazon, the little pink Onesie with NOTB. Lol

CBackley and The Hud like this.
  21. SizzleVonSizzleton

Whoa no bullying intended in any way. I legitimately would like to see this quilt and I 100% trust it exists.

I don't know how this turned into Quilting with Iron Maiden but I've got three Mom made quilts and the idea of one with Maiden artwork is too good to pass up.

Fortunately I see that @Cheevyjames has taken us at face value.:cheers:

Suggested Iron Maiden song title; The Quilter

22. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

It would either be The Quilter or The Needle of the Quilter. Got to get that "of the" in there. And it would have a 6 minute long intro.

23. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

Yep, @Cheevyjames is a cool dude. I'm thinking we will see the quilt soon.
    The Quilter sounds like it could also be a Judas Priest song. Imagine singing it The Ripper style. Lol

No offense on the bullying comments, love and respect all you in the post. Let's keep moving along.

24. To the tune of Be Quick or be Dead...The Quilt on the Bed....

25. CBackley

Can you imagine the triple guitars *weaving* in and out on The Quilter?

Oh god...quick, someone start the discussion of From Here to Eternity!