Iron Maiden Song By Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Nov 8, 2017.

1. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD

And they're off with a bang. The main riff sounds a bit like "Fire Dance" by Rainbow, mixed with Maiden's own "Flash of the Blade."

I don't know...the chorus isn't that great. "Snake eyes in heaven?" Plus it sounds like he's really straining his voice in a bad way and continuing with the "raspiness" of the previous album.

I do like Murray's solo because it seems like after Smith left, he had to step up to the plate and be creative and "passionate" again. Around 86/87/88 Smith was really growing as a soloist and songwriter while Murray was kind of stagnating, but now that Smith is gone, it seems like he has to up his gain because Gers was both a) the "new guy" and b) kind of sloppy.

So Fear of the Dark came out around spring 1992, the same time that KISS came out with Revenge and Sabbath came out with Dehumanizer. This was also when grunge was really taking off. It was a really weird time for music.

2. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

I always thought the "snake eyes" line was in reference to rolling dice...though, I have no idea of the rest of the meaning.

The Slug Man likes this.
  3. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

From Here To Eternity:

Now we reach Track Two with the second single, penned by Steve as the conclusion of the Charlotte the Harlot Saga.
    The song starts off with a somewhat simple but catchy bass/guitar riff with some nice leads over it, before Bruce starts singing at :25. The song is probably the most commercial song on the album, and feels somewhat of a departure from the previous Charlotte songs, but it still works fairly well. And Dave's solo at 2:10, holy f--- does he smoke on this tune, and even Janick at 2:28 is pretty damn good.
    Overall, I like it, it's a fun catchy tune, although not as good as the other two Charlotte songs, nowhere near.

4. Zoot Marimba

Live at Donnington (Be Quick):

izombie73 likes this.
  5. Zoot Marimba

6. MusicMatt

MusicMatt Quality over Quantity

From Here To Eternity

Now we bottom out, we have the speed but we're not going anywhere. I liked this one much more way back when. Nowadays not so much. Its not bad but it does not sound typical Maiden. The positives are the solos. I've always loved Davey starting his engine as it were and Janick's whammy bar goodness. As a teen, I was glued to the screen watching Charlotte from the videio. Passible 2.5/5

7. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I’ve never liked From Here to Eternity. The lyrics are cheesy, the production is too shiny, and the chorus sounds like something from Poison. If we’re gonna stick to the roller coaster metaphor, we can say that Be Quick brought us up really high....only for FHTE to drop us very low very fast.

8. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

From Here To Eternity

Hello, Iron Maiden...Dokken called and they want their guitar riff from "It's Not Love" back.

This is a decent enough song. The production on this album may be subpar, but I really dig the sound of the guitars.

9. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

From Here To Eternity -

I remember buying the single, mainly for the B-sides. The lyrics are naff, the chorus vocal is pretty good, not something i usually praise but it works okay. Definitely commercial but far from the best track on the album. I like the solo's. After the opening track this is definitely lesser but things do improve as we move forwards.

10. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

After all these years the first time i've seen the video. Didnt know they made one. First impression - it reminds me a little of the video made (Warriors of Ghengis Khan,) in the second Comic Strip "More Bad News" film (one of my favourite comedies.) :D

Maidenpriest, 16s, SammyJoe and 2 others like this.
  11. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

From Here To Eternity:

Other than the intro and a little on the chorus this almost doesn't sound like a Maiden song. The live version however does sound more Maiden to my ears.

Not a bad song though. Listenable, catchy, not a bad second track.

I get the Dokken vibe @Standoffish, man that song was from like 85 and bands had moved on from that kind of sound. Heck even in 85 Maiden didn't sound like that, Lol

12. Zoot Marimba

Steve clearly had no idea how to keep up at this point, he really didn't. I think he definitely wanted to win people back, but I don't think he really knew how to do it.

13. Cheevyjames

From Here to Eternity

I like that Steve's playing chords for the intro, but it's just hokey-sounding. Ugh, these lyrics. Iron freakin Maiden doing immature sexual lyrics. AGAIN. At least we can solely blame Steve for this one. The chorus with its constant gang vocals is horrible. I can't find too much redeeming about this song, it's incredibly stupid. Even the solos...Dave's is just a million notes without any feeling and Janick's is whammy-wankery followed by his version of a million notes. No melody in either solo, just guitar-barf. This is song #1 on the album that shouldn't be here. Awful dreck.

Video thoughts: FIRE! FIRE!!!! Whoa, check out the hot chick! YES! ROCK!

Horrible video.

(@Standoffish It's Not Love is a much better song that FHTE, thanks for posting it)

14. Cheevyjames

"Triumph Mix" that was on a 7" or something. Other than some slight tweaking of the drums, it sounds exactly the same. What was the point of doing this?

Posting for completeness only. It sucks just as much as the regular version.

15. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

From Here to Eternity: Commercial sounding intro. Verses sound very familiar but can't quite place where. Return to the commercial sound with the catchy/chanty chorus. I like the guitar solo a lot with the whammy bar accents. Overall, this one is a bit generic but very listenable. 3 stars out of 5.

16. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

From Here To Eternity is a killer tune!

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  17. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

FROM HERE TO ETERNITY

The intro is a bit Dokken-esque, and then the verses are basically "Holy Smoke Part Two" (in delivery, not sure about the lyrics). Actually, the chorus is OK even though it sounds like something Harris probably made up two minutes before the rest of the band got to the studio. Good solos.

As far as the video, it would've looked really out of date in 1992. Although it is nice to see hot chicks in a Maiden video--is that a first?

18. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

From Here to Eternity. Sounds a bit like Holy Smoke in the verses. I hate the gang vocal in the chorus but somehow I actually find myself liking the chorus in general.

Feels like with their second album in a row Maiden is really on a slide that they won't correct for several more records.

I don't hate this but it just seems so cheap for the Mighty Iron Maiden. I don't know, Up The Aluminums???

Things get better tomorrow!

19. Zoot Marimba

Up the Alluminums, love that! I should form an Iron Maiden tribute band and call it Alluminum Box. Granted, I don't really play an instrument, and vocally at least 90% of the set list would have to be dropped, otherwise I'd make Blaze look like Bruce.

And good call on Holy Smoke, I did notice that as well, as well as Can I Play With Madness as well.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  20. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

I knew the verses sounded familiar but I couldn't place it. "Holy Smoke" is it!!

21. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

I might not have noticed the similarity to Holy Smoke if @The Slug Man hadn't mentioned it right before I posted. :)

22. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

FHTE is so bad it makes Holy Smoke sound like Tailgunner!

23. Cheevyjames

There were a couple in Women in Uniform and one of them looked good. The cuts were pretty quick in Holy Smoke, but some of them looked good from what I could tell.

The Slug Man and Zoot Marimba like this.
  24. Cheevyjames

As promised, here are pics of the blanket (I guess we can't embed Imgur? Oh well):

front - Imgur
    back - Imgur
    current wearable shirts - Imgur

25. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

You go boy!!!
    Love that Judas Priest Painkiller one!

Zoot Marimba likes this.