Iron Maiden Song By Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Nov 8, 2017.

1. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Literal LOL right there. Hahahaha

That being said, I give The X-Factor a 3.5/5. I would ditch the last three songs and replace a couple others with some b-sides, but overall I like enough of it a lot to justify a high score. Plus, I like that nothing else in the Maiden catalog sounds like it. Not even Virtual XI. TXF is its own thing, for better or worse.

2. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

The Unbeliever

Lame opening. Awful chorus. No hooks in the verses. Blaze can't pull this off, but I can't blame him for the bad songwriting.
    The guitar solo section is just boring.

Question: did we need 8 minutes for this blandness? Answer: no, we did not. A stinker of an album closer.

The only good thing about this song is it gave @Musicman1998 an excuse to slam Sammy Hagar...I always get a kick out of that. :laugh:

3. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

The Unbeliever

I should've noted this on the 2AM entry, but I'll say it here. The ONE good thing about 2AM is how it's sequenced to set up The Unbeliever. I don't like 2AM as a song, but it works well coming right before this one. The first riff of the intro is cool and a nice change, but 2nd part of the intro, the harmonics that are similar-but-not-quite to the William Tell Overture, isn't very good and doesn't work. I like the odd time signature of the verse and there's a strong sense that isn't a usual Maiden song. Of course, because it's on this album and in this time period, the vocal melody is boxy and the singer is grating. I like the lyrics too and if Steve had been less rigid with the vocal line and let a real singer tackle it, it could sound great. As it is here, what Blaze does is annoying.

The pre-chorus! This is a shocker, it's Maiden actually doing something different. I've always heard this riff as getting its influence from John Fruscante's work in the Chili Peppers, specifically Breaking the Girl. It's not remotely a rip off or anything, just the feel of it. It's a cool thing for Steve to pull from something modern (early 90's). I love Steve's bass part in here too. I also apprecaite that the 2nd time through on this pre-chorus we get the rise in the music. I'd love to hear Bruce tackle this music since I think he'd sound great on the pre-chorus and chorus here.

The middle section feels a bit weird, but I think that comes down to how it's mixed. In general I like Steve's rumbling and Nicko's toms, just needs to be a bit clearer. The lead guitar line here sounds like Fear of the Dark. I really like both Janick's and Dave's solos. Dave's solo especially is great and his best moment on the album. Ugh, I just wish the mix was better! From here out we just recap everything we've heard before. I like the lyrics on this song a lot and it feels like a "part 2" to The Apparition.

There are a lot of elements on this song I like and I'd actually be happy with it if there was a different singer. You know, like that Dickinson guy. I can recognize that it's a good song that takes the band in some new areas, but the singer still needs to go. I'm glad the album starts and ends on positive notes, even if most of what's in between is trash.

4. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I remember when I got this show saw and saw the footage for the first time. I couldn't believe that some people went to see the show and also showed the total disrespect by spitting. I have hard times watching stuff like this, when audience causes riots, throw stuff or spits at the performer.
    But of course, Blaze wasn't accepted within the fans, some liked him but some didn't so such hostile acts and shouting etc to him must have happened few times there on the tour, this isn't miracle since the crowd is very enthusiastic there in South America.
    I think, they shouldn't have called anything or mention killing etc stuff at all, just would have been better to completely stop the show and leave the stage as soon as possible.

5. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

"The Unbeliever", lame opening and around 0:21 onwards sounds like tuning the guitar. This is a bit underwhelming and at the same time a bit boring.
    I think this might be actually the worst of the album, as it doesn't have any sort of usual hooks or memorable stuff going. Some repetition and bland feeling.
    The middle part and the whole instrumental-section are the highlights for me, there's even couple good ideas there. But those can't help this one.
    Think Im gonna punish this song with the rank it deserves 1/5

6. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I have to admit I've been semi-lurking here, but not saying anything in that I'd just come off negative and, admittedly, I'm going to here also, but that whole deal with Blaze and Steve staring down the guy in the audience was just ridiculous. Besides the terrible vocal performance by Bailey, the macho display by he and Harris was embarrassing. What was Harris going to do exactly? Pull back his hair and have a go with the guy in the audience? Bring him up on stage and go UFC on him? Admittedly, a band needs to stay together and show solidarity in a situation like that, but let's be serious, they're vastly outnumbered there and if things go wrong they could go horribly wrong. Bailey asking for the crowd to intervene was stupid, too (telling them to "kill" the guy? Uh, yeah). Have security throw the knucklehead out or, at least, make sure they spot him and keep him away from the stage, but the macho stance that Maiden showed there was beyond a face palm.

7. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

"The X Factor":
    "Sign Of The Cross" 4½/5
    "Lord Of The Flies" 3/5
    "Man On The Edge" 3½/5
    "Fortunes Of War" 2/5
    "Look For The Truth" 1/5
    "The Aftermath" 2/5
    "Judgement Of Heaven" 2½/5
    "Blood On The World's Hands" 4½/5
    "The Edge Of Darkness" 1/5
    "2 A.M." 1/5
    "The Unbeliever" 1/5

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  8. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

The Unbeliever -

I like how this starts, it sound a little "Chili Peppery," as CheevyJames already commented. The guitar chords being used and the rhythm guitar behind - definite hint of "Breaking the Girl." Then an unecessary tempo change and the chorus is naff. I actually found a musical passage i liked and then the band change it. No real need. Some better editing and they might've made a decent tune. Does every song have to be "Maidenised?" Can we not just have one where you hear a decent idea and just expand on that?

I'll have to put this down as one of my favourites on the album (okay, that's not saying a lot,) but its not terrible,
    could be better, but okay.

Definitely the worst Maiden album by a long way. Its been really drab to listen to. It shouldn't be a chore to
    sit and listen to an album by one of your favourite bands. Its now in the "to trade" pile.

Onwards with the B Sides, lets see what Virtual XI has in store. That does at least have some songs people rate, even if not the versions sung by Blaze. I'm hoping its at least an improvement over this album, less darkness perhaps? I own it but cant remember spending much time on it, maybe half a listen. Perhaps X Factor being so bad put me off putting time in on the follow up. I shall go in with an open mind.................fingers crossed! :sigh:

9. Cheevyjames

He looked like teenager about to cry up there. Complete and total meathead. I'm so glad that clip is on youtube and can be seen by everyone because it shows exactly what was wrong with him in the band during those years. Mostly, he sounded beyond horrible on the old material. He wasn't good enough of a frontman and he got his feelings easily hurt by audiences who didn't accept his off-key slaughtering of songs they loved.

Good to you have to back in the thread, even if it's temporarily. I have no problem with you being negative. It's the reality of this music.

10. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

"The X Factor" overall feelings of the album:
    I still think that eventhough I liked this album (when it was released) it feels there's just too many songs, it runs overtime but also has some more problems compared to previous albums.
    The album is too heavy thing to really listen through on one listen, those longish intros and slow starts eat the total immersion, so I think it's better to listen to some songs only..but then again listening to this from vinyl is better than cd..what do I know.
    The X Factor has particular dark atmosphere and seriousness that isn't always found from any Iron Maiden album, therefore it has unique feeling and meaning in the catalogue. It's among Harris' own favorites, he picked it among the top3.
    Of course, with time and patience the album opened fully to me with enough listens but I still think it should have been seriously edited down (take some songs away) or perhaps it could have been solo-album from Harris.
    The album and it's time were difficult and I still give them credit for being there, for surviving and continuing their journey eventhough the results were mixed, but also this time around the fans divided really.
    I think I still have a bit mixed feelings for this album, on the other hand, I still like this one really much, then on the other hand as by looking the ranks, I think they indicate that something really went off here, unfornately.
    I even know atleast one person, who thinks this is the best and their preferred album from the whole Iron Maiden-catalogue.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  11. CBackley

After the b-sides but before Virtual XI: Virus!

SammyJoe, Zoot Marimba and izombie73 like this.
  12. Cheevyjames

Virus is a...special song.

13. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

You know Steve Harris :D...???

14. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

The Unbeliever

The opening 0:21 is pretty cool and then....wtf? The rhythm goes all weird like they want to do reggae or something. This is very clumsy, not to mention Blaze just sounding like a guy grabbed off the street and handed a microphone. His vocal take sounds like a rehearsal, not the finished recorded studio take. This song has numerous transitions but none of them go smoothly, it's very awkward. And as soon as I start to get in the groove (like 5:22-5:54 is pretty good) then the rhythm goes somewhere else that makes no sense. As far as the guitar solos, I don't get what Janick is trying to do, but it does NOTHING, then Dave's is.. like @Musicman1998 said, is very Dave-by-Numbers. In fact, that's true of much of this song: what kinda works, is Maiden-by-Numbers. We've heard it before and know what;s coming next. And what doesn't, and there's a lot of it, is all very head-scratching. 1.6 out of 10.

15. Almost Simon

I have it on 12", couldn't tell you what it sounds like, bought it for the B-sides. Also on Best of the Beast.

Not sure of the order then, so assume next is the B-Sides, then Virus as a stand alone single to promote the aforementioned best of, then Virtual XI?

SammyJoe, izombie73 and CBackley like this.
  16. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

Unbeliever - listening to this now for the 1st time and if I didn't know before hand that this is IM, I would have NEVER guessed them. Sounds like a mix-mash of Primus and Dream Theater, and a BAD mix-mash at that. What the heck happened to the Maiden sound and head banging energy? Blah, Steve trying to sound modern but he was just plain musically lost and uncertain on what to do, and it shows. Bluach - 2/10

17. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

What would you say if they had made only one album from the Blaze-years?
    Could it really have been one better album in full instead of 2 dividing releases?
    I think this question might be good to ask and atleast then when we have discussed and reviewed all the songs from VXI.
    So, what would you pick up from "The X Factor" and "Virtual XI"?

izombie73 likes this.
  18. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Of course, I know him:winkgrin:

izombie73 likes this.
  19. Cheevyjames

Once we get through the B-sides I'll post my reconfiguration. Between the two albums, there's not really enough for one album. The problem is that all of the songs are tired and the vocalist is poor. **IF** I could pick the current band to redo some of these songs, it would be a 3-song EP consisting of Sign of the Cross, Blood on the World's Hands and Clansman. If they could rewrite Unbeliever that could be included too. That's it, though.

1994/1995 is when Steve should've taken time off and worked on British Lion. I am of two minds on this whole thing, though. On one hand, the Blaze years were not good and I'd rather they not exist. On the other, being fully out of Maiden enabled Bruce to make some truly amazing music and he brought Adrian back in the fold. The reunion has been excellent. If we could get Balls to Picasso, Skunkworks, Accident of Birth, Chemical Wedding, Brave New World, and the rest of the 2000's Maiden albums exactly as they are, then my wish would be for Maiden to announce in late 92/early 93 that they're taking an extended break after the upcoming tour. At that point, Bruce makes his solo albums, Steve makes British Lion, Nicko cooks ribs, and Dave and Janick do whatever they want to do. Everyone + H reconvene in 1999 and we pick up the story from there. Unfortunately, that's not happening.

20. MusicMatt

MusicMatt Quality over Quantity

The Unbeliever

Hey, a non slow beginning! Lyrics arriving at :35 with a change of melodic scenery not seen in the Maiden catalogue before. Nicko leads the way with Dave and Janick looking at each other not sure of what to do. Ahh, there it is! The chorus is the slow section. Got to have a slow part right? This is The X Factor right? Bad, bad chorus that weighs the song down. At 2:05 we come a typical Maiden breakdown section and then a repeat of the chorus except now the chorus is forceful and proper. Like Blaze gives a damn. The song should've ended at 3:36 but nope, musical direction change as we have some off in the distant guitar wankery going on. At 5:43, the song returns to the opening hook and the third verse arrives and then another yawn inducing chorus. Then another forceful chorus. This is too hard to keep up with. 2/5

21. Almost Simon

Hooray!!! :goodie:

One is surely much better than two. ;)

SammyJoe and izombie73 like this.
  22. CBackley

I just voluntarily listened to “My Generation” days before I even had (“had”) to. Wow. This thread is beginning to melt my brain. :)

SammyJoe and izombie73 like this.
  23. The Unbeliever
    And by the time we get to this track I really was.....
    1/5

Overall thoughts on the album....
    At this point Maiden were gone, done...past it.
    Appointing Blaze as a replacement for Bruce Dickinson was a mistake that still takes some fathoming out 25 years on almost.
    Yes we can talk about 'changing direction'...'moving on' etc but honestly it was never a fit from the word go.
    I can only think that Steve's personal life affected his thinking so much...he clearly was not of this world around this period.
    As someone who has recently gone thru a divorce after a 28 year relationship... I know just how bewildering and painful this can be.
    Nuff said.

The X-Factor (1995)

[​IMG]

Anyways....The X-Factor?
    A awful album of tedious overlong tuneless boring songs, and in my opinion the worst album Iron Maiden have ever made.
    1/5

24. Updated....
    Albums rated / ranked , whatever....

1 Powerslave 5/5
    2 Iron Maiden 5/5
    3 Piece Of Mind 5/5
    4 Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son 5/5
    5 The Number Of The Beast 4/5
    6 Somewhere In Time 4/5
    7 Killers 4/5
    8 No Prayer For The Dying 3/5
    9 Live After Death 3/5
    10 Fear Of The Dark 2.5/5
    11 Live At Donnington 2/5
    12 A Real Dead One 2/5
    13 A Real Live One 2/5
    14 The X-Factor 1/5

25. MusicMatt

MusicMatt Quality over Quantity

The X Factor full album review:

First off I want to apologize in advance if this review becomes tedious. As stated upon first starting this album that my living situation was at an all time low. My mother and I had reunited with my dad and brother up north after selling the house in Southern Ca and we were all one happy family living together again. Except we were sharing an apartment with my grandparents in a two bedroom apartment. So yeah, six adults and two cats in a two bedroom apartment, fun huh? This was when I first bought The X Factor. Upon my first listen, I HATED it! Judgement of Heaven was the only song I liked. Next I did the unthinkable, I went to the Wherehouse and sold it. Sold off Iron Maiden!! They were still my favorite band but this new album left me cold. It was at this time that I was starting to steer away from metal in general. Maybe it was my new surroundings, new friends, bleak living conditions, I don't know but metal didn't have the allure it once had. I also sold off some albums I'm still to this day rebuying, especially after discovering the false claims of re-masters. I need my original Diament Reign in Blood back! Anyway, we eventually got our own apt and things became better but not until after my mom succumbed to cancer a few months later. That whole first year in a new place and all the ups and downs to go along with it is what I think about when I listen to the X Factor today. Dark stuff.

It wasn't until I was curious about Virtual XI and buying that album in 2003 that I reconnected with The X Factor. I thought Virtual XI was fantastic so I rebought X Factor and my view of it has changed. Despite some of my individual rants on the songs, I think its a good album. Its a good album when you are in the mood for it and you listen to it in full. That is the key to this album, mood and in full. Kind of like the movie Schindler's List. You have to be in the mood to watch it and you wouldn't want to watch it everyday. If you only watched parts of it and not in full, it loses its impact and meaning. I feel The X Factor is the same. I like this album now but I also see its faults and there are many. The marches, Blaze's voice, the stop and go song structure, the drawn out intros that lead to nowhere but at the end of the day its a revealing album that I think Steve needed to put out. I say Steve and not "the band" because that's what this is. Steve explaining where he was at that point, a nightmare of thoughts about the dark times we must all endure at some point in our lives. 3/5