Iron Maiden Song By Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Justice Of the Peace:

Does sound like they knocked this off in 10 minutes just to be a filler track. Not as strong as the previous B-side, perhaps with a bit more work it could've been better. I like the solo. One play is enough though. I doubt they spent much time on this one in the studio.

2. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Justice of the Peace

Oh my, this is bad. Bland riff, bad chorus, uninspired solo, and once again Nicko is relegated to playing in the pocket. Don't even get me started on Blaze on this one.

3. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Dude, we still have to get through Virtual XI. Prepare yourself for another week and a half of hunger pangs...

4. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Just listening to The Angel and the Gambler takes a week and a half.

5. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

:laughup: No s—-

izombie73, CBackley and rubberhead like this.
  6. MBT68

MBT68 I remember dates, names, numbers...

The first two albums with Paul DiAnno are my favorite. I have never recovered from the first listen to prowler.. that song and that first album still blow my mind. Like the BD version of maiden, but the PD albums are my favs

7. Zoot Marimba

You wanna go Track by Track?
    Also, this guy is my kind of guy!

8. rubberhead

rubberhead Erotic Thriller

Same. If you eliminated every other song they ever recorded and just kept that, they'd still earn their place atop the NWOBHM.

Except maybe "Wrathchild."

9. MBT68

Listening to “running free” as I write. That first album takes you up, down and back again with “Iron Maiden” knocking you down and leaving you wondering what the hell just happened!

10. MBT68

The track order on Iron Maiden is perfect imo.. each song leads perfectly into the next. Not a bad song on there. It a great record with many memories attached after 37 years. Still moving with each listen

11. Zoot Marimba

Agree.
    What I meant was review each song and then summing up your thoughts on the overall album.

izombie73 and rubberhead like this.
  12. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I never fully, truly appreciated the first two albums until this thread. Now the debut is one of my absolute favorites, and Killers is threatening to slash its way up too.

Also, “Twilight Zone” is a brilliant song, and everyone who criticized it months ago was wrong. Dead wrong. ;)

Big Pasi, Scott222C, SammyJoe and 5 others like this.
  13. MBT68

Prowler- the opening riff makes you want to listen and PDs vocals make you listen. His voice Is very distinct and powerful in his way. DM guitar work awesome as always.

Remember tomorrow- hard turn in different direction. Love PD vocals. Lull you to sleep and rip you awake. Rhythm section climbing and falling takes you on a sweet ride

running free- simple and strong. Guitars are thunderous. Again bass and drums leading the way

Phantom of the opera- still to this day leaves me without words. The changeovers still give me the chills. Bass work is so powerful.

Transylvania- great transition song between two amazing tunes. Like the song but always seemed like it was a lead in to the next one

Strange World- always reminds me of the rain song. Song takes you on a great journey. To me PD voice had a great feeling to it. Not the best metal voice but could tell a good story. Another strong guitar solo.

Sanctuary- just a bad ass song. The opening grabs your ears. Short and sweet. Shows the power of the band. Super tight.

Charlotte the harlot- had no idea as a 15 yr old what a harlot was but I knew I wanted to meet one. Soulful singing by PD. The rhythm guitar on the entire album is encompassing but especially on this song. DM with another strong solo and more cool mood changes

Iron Maiden- what a finish.they tell you we aren’t done with you and we will be coming back for more! Guitar work is so strong and the song jacks you back up to full throttle and leaves you begging for more.

For me what a first outting. I must have burned thru numerous copies over the years. Albums cassettes and CDs.I don’t have a bad word for any of it. Strong from start to finish. What an introduction to the metal world. And someone said it earlier ...Eddie made we want to but this album just like the cover of Highway to Hell did.. I had to sneak into the house under my coat.

14. Zoot Marimba

If this thread made even one person realize the greatness of the DiAnno Years, then this thread was totally worth it.

Big Pasi, Scott222C, SammyJoe and 7 others like this.
  15. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Mention #1:
    [​IMG]
    Happy 36th Anniversary to the "The Number Of The Beast"-album, which was originally released on march 22th, 1982.
    Maiden's milestone and landmark album which really set them on top of the world and on top of their game.
    The Number of the Beast (album) - Wikipedia
    My wife's good friend, who has compact and nice music-collection (from R&B to funk and everything else) has this album in her collection, eventhough she ain't really into Maiden.

16. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Mention #2:
    [​IMG]
    Happy 25th Anniversary to the "A Real Live One"-album, which was originally released on march 22th, 1993.
    A Real Live One - Wikipedia

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  17. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

That is just a gorgeous painting! I love the colors on there. It's striking and one of Riggs' greatest artworks.

18. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

One of my favorites and I got it as tattoo aswell.

19. Zoot Marimba

And I’ll be ranking the album covers at the end of this thread.

20. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

And that's just the chorus refrain at the end of the song. Actually, it seems longer than life itself :)

21. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

In hindsight these records aren't really bad, it was more that we were spoilt rotten by the quality of those that preceded them, I think.

And yeah, thankfully we found our way back :righton:

CBackley and Zoot Marimba like this.
  22. Zoot Marimba

I Live My Way:

And now the third and final outtake, I Live My Way, written by Blaze and Janick.
    The song starts with-GODDAMNIT! ANOTHER SLOW INTRO! And while the song does pick up some, the song does not have much going from it-melodically bland, Blaze sounds terrible as usual, Janick and Dave are playing mostly by-the-numbers solos, I can see why this didn’t make the album, because it sucks.

Actually, I don’t know why it didn’t make the album, because it sucks.

23. BurtThomasWard

:hugs:

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  24. BurtThomasWard

What's even worse, they almost made me cry :shake:

25. MBT68

To me the album covers really follow the changes in the band. First two covers were scary as hell and very dark which seemed to me to mirror the music at the time. Fit the PD version of IM.. following covers became more polished much like BD style. Not that that’s bad but I like the PD version best..