Iron Maiden Song By Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  2. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

The problem is that we all came into these 3 albums in different ways. Some were UK, some US and some by 1998 Remaster tracklisting. If it was me, I would go by the 98 remasters since those are the most readily available versions right now. However, you already started using the original US vinyl tracklisting so you might as well keep it consistent in that regard. Of course, the current iTunes releases are the same as the original UK versions. Wish they'd do one thing and stick to it.

BluesOvertookMe and Zoot Marimba like this.
  3. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

Me too, I despise that trend of different tracklists in different territories.

Cheevyjames and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  4. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Technically, you're not wrong, as there was a Viking element to the Norman Conquest. But what's generally considered the main Viking invasion was nearly 300 years earlier. Late 8th century to early 9th, I think. Who cares anyway :laugh:

5. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

I don't think I've ever heard Steve call the band 'heavy metal' and I've seen many interviews. He's always just called them a "rock band" or a "heavy rock band". It is true that he hated punk, and he refused their original record contract because they were asked to play punk rock. I will say, the front cover of the debut, lo-fi production of it and the in-your-face belters with repetitive (for lack of a better term) riffing on songs like Prowler, Sanctuary and this (as well as the punky lyrics of Running Free) might say otherwise.

Invasion is a really good song. I don't know which one I'd prefer, this or Invaders. I like both, but Steve has said he was never a fan of Invaders. As I stated above, just a real good belter!

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  6. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Invasion

C'mon Steve, this is punk. Not Steve's best songwriting, but I like these "short and sweet" early Maiden tracks. The song rocks its little heart out, and doesn't overstay its welcome. Not good enough for the album, but a solid b-side.

7. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

You know what, I thought I'd have quite a bit to say about early IM, but lately I just can't seem to muster any enthusiasm. I'll see what I can come up with :righton:

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  8. Ohh how we miss those 3 minute blasts........

9. Zoot Marimba

Promise me this: when you talk about Sammy Hagar during I Got the Fire: don't pull ANY punches whatsoever

yarbles likes this.
  10. Zoot Marimba

Here are some interviews with Arry and Dianno I found:

11. Zoot Marimba

12. Zoot Marimba

In store signing:

ian christopher likes this.
  13. Zoot Marimba

ian christopher likes this.
  14. MusicMatt

MusicMatt Quality over Quantity

Here’s the first Listen With Nicko l. Here he discusses the first few singles including Burning Ambition and a few live tracks.

Standoffish and Zoot Marimba like this.
  15. Zoot Marimba

Cool hope you post more of these

MusicMatt likes this.
  16. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

"Invasion", furious and fast punk-rocking song. One of the last truly punky songs from the early days, they do have that certain charm in them. I dig all those little things.
    This is yet again little gem that's totally been forgotten. There's lots of thing happening in that short period of time the song lasts. You wouldn't believe the pace and how packed the songs were.
    Totally punk but that middle-part indeed has some more complex prog influences, some real Thin Lizzy-feelings aswell, always like those kind of things.
    I think the song is fun as other's have noted there's some resemblance and blueprint to "Invaders" so maybe Steve thought that it was worth to update and rewrite it for later use.
    All in all, both versions of the song are good but I think I prefer the "Women In Uniform" b-side as it's more tight, compact and better performance. Too bad this song never got the place on any album.
    I could imagine that this might have been included on "Killers" atleast, but maybe it wasn't just quite good enough song in the end, so it got it's place always placed as only b-side.

In retrospect, it was the last times the band would sound like this, or from this lineup, as things would be rolling totally different on the coming albums and tours.
    And it was natural thing still to change, evolve and refine bands sound and style. You surely won't have to stay the same all the time. Some strickly try to be the same always.
    With increasing experience in playing and recording and gaining more popularity Iron Maiden got more and more following. They surely had ambition set to future events.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    Zoot Marimba and Silksashbash like this.
  17. Silksashbash

Silksashbash Forum Resident

Come on, it has to be one of the original versions, not a later-day revision. You can't just go back 17 years later and change an album. Many of us here have owned the albums long before the '98 remasters came out, I didn't even know those existed until now.

Between the original UK and US pressings, there's not much difference anyway, only the addition of "Twilight Zone" on the American Killers. The Beast album is the same everywhere. Fun fact: the Aussie Killers has "Women In Uniform" on side two after the title track.

18. I'm all for discussing the original tracklistings as they were released...then any single b side etc from the said era.
    Like many...not a fan of the remasters full stop.

Zoot Marimba and Silksashbash like this.
  19. Zoot Marimba

And now we move onto............
    Killers
    [​IMG]
    Killers is the second studio album by the English heavy metal band Iron Maiden, released on 2 February 1981 by EMI Records in the United Kingdom and on 6 June 1981 by Harvest Records and Capitol Records in the United States. The album was their first with guitarist Adrian Smith, and their last with vocalist Paul Di'Anno, who was fired after problems with his stage performance arose due to his alcohol and cocaine use.[7] Killers was also the first Iron Maiden album recorded with the assistance of producer Martin Birch, who went on to produce their next eight albums up until Fear of the Dark (1992).
    Tracklist
    All songs written and composed by Steve Harris, except where noted:

Original releaseEdit
    Side one
    No.
    Title Length

1. "The Ides of March" (Instrumental) 1:48
    2. "Wrathchild" 2:54
    3. "Murders in the Rue Morgue" 4:14
    4. "Another Life" 3:22
    5. "Genghis Khan" (Instrumental) 3:02
    6. "Innocent Exile" 3:50
    Side two
    No.
    Title Writer(s) Length

1. "Killers" Paul Di'Anno, Harris 4:58
    2. "Prodigal Son" 6:05
    3. "Purgatory" 3:18
    4. "Drifter" 4:47
    Total length: 38:18
    1981 North American versionEdit
    Side one
    No.
    Title Length

1. "The Ides of March" (Instrumental) 1:48
    2. "Wrathchild" 2:54
    3. "Murders in the Rue Morgue" 4:14
    4. "Another Life" 3:22
    5. "Genghis Khan" (Instrumental) 3:02
    6. "Innocent Exile" 3:50
    Side two
    No.
    Title Writer(s) Length

1. "Killers" Di'Anno, Harris 4:58
    2. "Twilight Zone" Dave Murray, Harris 2:33
    3. "Prodigal Son" 6:05
    4. "Purgatory" 3:18
    5. "Drifter" 4:47
    Total length: 40:51
    1998 Remastered releaseEdit
    No. Title Writer(s) Length

1. "The Ides of March" (Instrumental) 1:46
    2. "Wrathchild" 2:55
    3. "Murders in the Rue Morgue" 4:19
    4. "Another Life" 3:23
    5. "Genghis Khan" (Instrumental) 3:09
    6. "Innocent Exile" 3:54
    7. "Killers" Harris, Di'Anno 5:01
    8. "Prodigal Son" 6:12
    9. "Purgatory" 3:20
    10. "Twilight Zone" Murray, Harris 2:33
    11. "Drifter" 4:49
    Total length: 41:21
    1995 reissue bonus discEdit
    No. Title Writer(s) Length

1. "Twilight Zone" Murray, Harris 2:33
    2. "Women in Uniform" (originally by Skyhooks) Greg Macainsh 3:07
    3. "Invasion" 2:38
    4. "Phantom of the Opera" (Live) 6:55

Personnel
    Iron Maiden[edit]

Additional personnel[edit]

The Ides of March:

We begin the record with The Ides of March, a short instrumental that sort of serves as an intro to the next track and the album as a whole. The ides refers to the 15th of March, and may possibly refer to "Beware the ides of March" from Julius Caesar, as that is the date Caesar was killed.
    The track starts with a cool little roll from CLive backing some riffage before the twin guitar harmonies start at :27 or so, and at :40 we get a great little solo from Adrian and then Murray at :59. Aren't these two so fantastic together? I don't know how Adrian and Stratton compare as far as chops go, but I can say who the best fit for Maiden is. And I love Clive's little cymbal thing at the end. Very solid instrumental and intro that leads into............
    Wrathchild:
    We now come to the most popular song on here, about an angry young man searching for his father. It was previously recorded for the Metal for Muthas compilation in 1979.
    We kick off with a cool little bass riff, and the band is ripping it, with Paul comes in at :13, and he snarls his way through this track, gives it such a ferocious energy, and I just love Murray's solo at 1:01, just such a pissed off solo for a pissed off song. And I think that is Adrian playing before Paul resumes singing, certainly sounds more like him.
    Not a lot to say, but I love this song. Great, catchy, hungry, pissed off, I adore it. But not my favorite on here.

20. Zoot Marimba

Live at the Rainbow:

A really strong performance, the band is tight, Paul's in great voice here, absolutely love it.

21. Zoot Marimba

Maiden Japan:

An AWESOME performance here. I think I'll call it a draw.

22. Zoot Marimba

Metal for Muthas:

Okay, but man does this song need Clive Burr

23. Zoot Marimba

Live After Death:

Eh, I'll stick with Di'Anno on this one, it needs that vicious energy, and Bruce just can't sell it.

24. Zoot Marimba

From this year:

Not bad. Not great, but not bad.

ian christopher and SammyJoe like this.
  25. Zoot Marimba

'99 version with Dickinson's vocals overdubbed:

Pointless. And again, Di'Anno.