Iron Maiden Song By Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Ah, good point. Hadn't considered that.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  2. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

Don't forget about Metallica's awesome cover of the song

Meyer, superstar19 and MusicMatt like this.
  3. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

RUN TO THE HILLS

Another classic that (for me) suffers from overplay, but if it comes on I rarely skip it. In the original Rock Band game from 10 years ago, I believe this was the absolute "highest" level song (the most difficult to play). Everyone is one fire here--it reminds me just how creative Clive Burr was in particular.

"Savage" (from Judas Priest's Stained Class) could almost be seen as a precursor to this song in terms of subject matter.

Between it and the title track of NOTB, I will always take NOTB, but "Run To Hills" has rightly earned its place as a timeless classic.

MusicMatt likes this.
  4. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

"Run To the Hills" (I think) is when the Iron Maiden "Galloping sound" reached full maturity. This may be Iron Maiden's best known song. At least when I tell someone that doesn't know much about Iron Maiden "That I'm a big fan", I often get a bad rendition of "Run to Hills" spewed at me. I like the song but it's not one of my favorites. That very well could be due to the overplay it received. It's certainly one of the most iconic metal songs of all time.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  5. Love that album.

6. Run To The Hills.
    Can't really add anything...the song is a classic, but like say Paranoid,....you might have heard more times than you can remember.
    The big breakthrough for the band.

7. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Yep, me too.

8. I was talking to a old friend from college (79/80) and we both agreed that their 3rd album, A Different Kind Of Tension is a overlooked classic....and one of the standout albums of 1979.

Sorry for the detour all....back to Maiden .

SammyJoe likes this.
  9. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

No worries, good music always deserves talk and mentions on the forum.
    I think Im not even sure which all the albums I’ve heard from Buzzcocks, have to check if I have missed any.
    First album that I ever saw from Buzzcocks was the ”Singles Going Steady”-lp in the local library in my childhood.
    I kind of really got deeper to them as I started to explore and discover punk and post-punk bands, for example Sex Pistols and Joy Division, their contemporaries, influences and stuff that came after them. So gonna stream and listen to some Buzzcocks soon..
    Back to Maiden now:)

10. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Run to the Hills

Pretty much agree with everything that's been said. As much as I like Nicko, I really wish this lineup could have recorded more records. Clive kills it here. Heck, the whole band kills it.

I love singing along to the chorus, although nobody within earshot seems to enjoy it. :D

Also like that Bruce uses the word "galloping" right after they go into The Gallop.

SammyJoe likes this.
  11. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

"Run To The Hills." Oddly the first thing that comes to mind was trying to cover this with my band, when I was 14 years old. Our drummer.....couldn't handle it :)

12. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

I would highly recommend buying Bruce's new autobiography "What Does This Button Do". I was given a copy for my birthday and I've been really enjoying it over the past few days. He's a really funny writer and has great stories. His personality really comes through. I hope that one day more folks involved with the band write books, esp. band members.

SammyJoe, Zoot Marimba and GodShifter like this.
  13. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

Hey just woke up, so here is my review of...
    Gangland:

We come to Gangland, written by Harris and drummer Clive Burr, this song being one of only two songs in the band's discography to credit the latter. This is written about a Capone-style gangland and the uncertainty of it. It was between this and Total Eclipse for the album or B-Side status, and the band have since come to regret choosing this for the album.
    We start with a cool little drum intro by Clive, with the other three players coming in at :07, and they do some nice little touches here and there, before Bruce starts singing at :38, and he is solid as always. After he finishes singing, the two guitarists do some decent harmony, with Adrian playing a brief solo at 2:45.
    Overall, while I think this deserves it's status as one of the weaker songs on NOtB, I think it's okay. I'll put it this way: on a ****ty album, this would be one of the better songs.

SizzleVonSizzleton likes this.
  14. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

It has been 20+ years since I have listened to Gangland, so I should probably give it another chance, but I have always considered it the worst song on NOTB. It is too bad Total Eclipse didn't make the album, but it did make getting the '98 remaster exciting. I had forgotten that it was on the 2 disc Castle set at the time. The next song more than makes up for Gangland.

CBackley and Zoot Marimba like this.
  15. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Yep, it's great book and I would strongly recommend it aswell for everybody to check out. One of the most interesting persons writes about his life, so it's all just worth to get immersed with.
    I think its very funny and interesting and it's definitely got that real feeling of the writer present. He is very interesting person and sort of jack of all trades, as he does so many things.
    I ordered the english-version from Amazon when it came out, but last monday I met Bruce on book-signing and now got the Finnish-language translation of the book with his huge autograph.
    Bruce is definitely my alltime favorite celebrity, rockstar and it's just for that he's done plenty of things, is clever and cool all the way. He's so cool and I got really good feeling as I met him.

CBackley and Cheevyjames like this.
  16. Silksashbash

Silksashbash Forum Resident

Is it the whole band that regret having Gangland on the album, or is it just Harris, 'cause it's the only song he didn't write or co-write?

I like it a lot. Definitely a lot more than Total Eclipse, which to me has always sounded somehow unfinished. There's a special kind of mood to Gangland, dangerous in a more down-to-earth way than something like The Number Of The Beast. Love the chorus and the "once you were glad to be free for a while" part.

ArpMoog, Cheevyjames and Zoot Marimba like this.
  17. Meyer

Meyer Heavy Metal Parking Lot Resident

Run to the Hills: Awesome song. The drum into gets me going every time, and when they break into it during a live performance, it still gives me chills. While I agree its definitely been overplayed (I’m looking at you, VH1 Classic), it’s always a mild disappointment when they don’t include it in a set list.

If somebody were to ask me “what is Iron Maiden?” I’d probably point them to Run to the Hills. It’s a classic song from a classic era that encapsulates everything the band has become.

This song (and accompanying video) was my introduction to Maiden.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  18. MusicMatt

MusicMatt Quality over Quantity

Gangland
    Is it the best song on the album? No but is it a bad song? No again. In fact the bridge is fantastic. Cool drumming from Clive.

19. Gangland.
    Not sure why this track is looked upon as a lesser track? Personally I like it.
    The B side Total Eclipse would have been a nice addition as well, but I would replace Gangland for it.

20. Wouldn't *

ArpMoog likes this.
  21. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

"Gangland", yet again very energetic song. Feels like driving like a maniac on speed sort of going. Determined and cool drum performance from Clive, as it grooves so greatly right from the intro. Superb drummer indeed.
    Maybe this song is a bit forgotten or little like dismissed by so many people, because it's between such more known and played anthems on the b-side of the album (TNOTB, RTTH and HBTN), or something like that.
    It's not at all bad and I like it really, but maybe it just doesn't have that special ingredient to really stand out from the other tracks there on the b-side. But, there's still meaning and place for this song, it delivers really.
    The harmony-section with Bruce's familiar scream and Adrian's relatively short solo, and the riffing at 2:52 or sort, are the best parts of the song for me. So far it seems to me that there's not a single weak link on the album.

22. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

I never had a problem with "Gangland". I love the energy as well as the riffs for the verse and bridge.

23. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

GANGLAND

The best thing about this song is probably the drumming. I've just never been crazy about "Gangland." The chorus is OK, I guess.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  24. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I didn’t like “Gangland” as a teenager. It just felt kind of half baked to me. That said, now, I’m going to say I rather like it. It’s a different vibe (I use that word a lot, doh) but it’s a nice change up from the typical Harris song structure. It’s certainly better than “Invaders” and, maybe, a couple of others on this one.

25. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

Would you say you are liking this album better than Killers?