Iron Maiden Song By Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

The Duelists:

We close out Side One with another fencing song, The Duelists, written by Steve and inspired by the Ridley Scott film which in turn is based on the novel The Duel by Joseph Conrad about a lifelong feud between two officers during the Napopleonic Period (circa 1800).
    Nicko kicks off the track and it almost immediately goes into the band riffing very powerfully. Bruce comes in at :24, kicking ass as always. I really love how after Nicko's drum roll at 1:47-:49, we get this softer section with the guitars harmonizing over Steve and Nicko, and everybody is just so spot on, and then the second layer of guitar harmonies at 2:27 is so excellent, man, I would love to see what the three guitarists could do with this part. Dave gets a solo in at 2:52, which is pretty damn good, and then Adrian tops that one at 3:38, and this might be the best solo I've heard so far on the album, and one of Adrian's best in general, it's such an excellent solo, great technical tricks, great feeling, phrasing, it's just stunning. At 5:15 or so, Bruce comes in, and he's as great as ever, and even the backing vocals aren't too bad.
    This is an awesome song, my second favorite so far after Aces High and a Top 3 for this album. The only complaint I have is that this was never played live!! What the hell?!

CBackley, scottp, Big Pasi and 6 others like this.
  2. MusicMatt

MusicMatt Quality over Quantity

The Duelists

Wow, what a great song. The guitars are the highlights here. Oh wait, no, Bruce is the highlight. Or is it Nicko? My point is everyone brings this song alive. The air raid siren goes into full effect especially during the choruses. My favorite parts are the last lines of the verses such as at :36 or at 1:19 when the vocal and guitar melody shifts. The guitar interplay during the middle of the song is fantastic and a blueprint for Maiden and something that will play heavily later in their career . Driving is a word I'd use to describe The Duelists.

3. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

The Duelists: Another great song. I often get this one confused with "Flash of the Blade" due the subject matter. I think Bruce steals the show on this one. He shows off his range quite nicely on the verses. Anyone else think this one sounds kind of similar to "Where Eagles Dare"?

4. Zoot Marimba

I do hear Where Eagles Dare in this, probably why it was never played live, but in fairness, I think they changed up the arrangement enough to make it feel different.

izombie73 and TexasBuck like this.
  5. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

"The Duelists", this is another awesome song but also I feel it's terribly forgotten and overlooked for some strange reason.
    Bruce sounds great here and is indeed the highlight of the song, his voice fits to the mood and atmosphere, feels like this is fast action paced dueling with swords.
    I also have to emphasize the middle harmony section in the song, it's long and shows the greatness of Adrian & Dave. Steve and Nicko also shine in their playing here.
    This one also goes to my playlist of forgotten songs, that I will have to revisit more often. Not really much to say for now, I dig this and it's actually good song.

6. The Duelists
    Possibly 'the' overlooked track on the album. Another superb track to close out side one.
    The instrumental mid section and following solo's are brilliant.
    5/5

7. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

You know whats so cool about that is it's like getting to hear a new Maiden song! But it's old Maiden!

8. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

The Duelist Absolutely love everything about this song. Nothing wrong and everything right.

CBackley, SammyJoe and Zoot Marimba like this.
  9. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Indeed, that’s the case here mate. :righton:
    Eventhough I’ve heard all the Maiden-albums so many times in my life already, but still feels that there’s few of these forgotten gems.
    As I mentioned before, I have started compiling playlist of these worthwhile songs that need to be revisited more often.

izombie73 likes this.
  10. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Back In The Village:

As @Musicman1998 asked me to help and start the next song, here we go now..
    Back In The Village, strong song and collaboration effort from Dickinson & Smith again. This is sequel to The Prisoner (from the album "The Number Of The Beast") and also based on the same tv-series with the same name. The lyrics here describe a bloody vengeage as they venture the village again.
    The riff at the start is powerful, busy sounding, perhaps even simple but it's actually quite hard to play and it has similar feeling in the repeats as for example on "Flash Of The Blade" had. The riff is insane and works.
    The instrumental part and solos are great once again, these are the little things that have really proved interesting points in these little lesser known songs. All performances are what the song needs and there's real chemistry and good feeling present in this song.
    There's some parts in the solos and instrumental that are kind of a little visions of the sounds to be found from the albums (SIT and SSOASS). In the part around 2:30 the guitars just take me to Moonchild etc song feelings somehow...I wrote this quickly so my mind might be making tricks on me.
    This has got the deeds and is memorable song but for some reason it's quite forgotten and overlooked (as many others). I like the little aggressive nature and pace of the song, it hurls onwards fastly. I like the verses but the probably the only thing that I find need of tiny fixing would be the chorus. It's ok but maybe it could be a bit better.
    All in all, this is solid song and I dig it. One of my favorites on the album still. Anyways, I might have to add something more and comment further this song later. It's difficult to do one introduction post for song..

11. MusicMatt

MusicMatt Quality over Quantity

Back in the Village

Interesting tune here. If this is a sequel to The Prisoner as Sammy states above, its lost on me as I have never seen an episode of the show. Although I do remember its repeats the "I don't have a number, I'm a name." lyric. I like this song but its never going to appear on my greatest hits list. Love the opening riff which to this day I cannot fathom how to accurately play on guitar lol. Best part for me is when Bruce repeats the title rapidly three times to close the song.

SammyJoe likes this.
  12. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

The Duelists: I forgot about this song, it is so cool! The melody, the cool harmonized guitars and bass in the middle part. Very well composed.

Back in The Village:
    I like the verses as well, but find the chorus really annoying. Over-singing by Bruce, for sure.

Lots of long songs on this album, they really squeezed it onto the vinyl! I listened on cassette back in the day, I wonder if the original records sound bad?

SammyJoe likes this.
  13. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

Back to the Village: Reading some of the earlier replies, I may be in the minority but I love the chorus. I think the "Air Raid Siren" is going off nicely here. To me, this song rocks harder than any other on the album, although I wouldn't call it my favorite. Strong 4 star song for me. If the album ended here, "Powerslave" would be a really good album. However, we haven't even got to it's climax.

For the earlier albums we've gone over, I've listened to the album once for a refresher. In the case of "Powerslave", I'm at 4 listens in the last week and counting. Just loving it.

14. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Christmas and family stuff takes over my Maiden time. Not cool, haha. Anyway, here's me catching up:

Losfer Words

I'm glad that Steve decided to make this one an instrumental rather than a vocal song. The main melody carries it really nicely and puts the focus on the guitars. This one is a blast to play along with, both bass and guitar. The middle section is especially taxing on the bass. The bit after the guitar solo is a near copy of what would become Wasted Years 2 years later. Losfer Words is a fun song and one I never get tired of hearing.

15. Cheevyjames

Flash of the Blade

I love that the bass waits a while before coming in with the huge chords rather than coming in with Nicko's drums. Great musical change to the first verse as it's so different from the intro. Steve does some great fills in the chorus. Actually, I love Steve's playing throughout the whole song. This is another example of Steve really letting it loose on other writers' songs. Fantastic chorus from Bruce on here. The middle section is noteworthy since there's not a guitar solo, but a lot of harmony stuff. Very cool middle section. This song is just so different than many other Maiden songs. Bruce wrote a really good one here.

16. Cheevyjames

The Duellists

Two sword-fighting songs in a row! Now it's Steve's turn. Unfortunately, Steve reverts back to his tendency of writing too many words and Bruce has no choice but to horribly cram them all into a space that's much too small. I've never thought about this before now, but it seems like maybe Steve spent most of his compositional energy into Mariner and Aces High? Besides those two powerhouses, we have an instrumental (which I love, but still it took less energy) and this one which just isn't of the same quality as the rest of the songs on Powerslave. The chorus on this one is pretty weak. The music and playing from everyone saves this, but it's definitely the dud of this album. My favorite part is the middle section with the stops and starts and Steve playing that really cool fill. Nicko does a nice drum pattern change in the middle of Dave's solo which I love. Good solo from Adrian as well. Like I said, the playing by these guys really saves this song from being a total mess. Still, my least-favorite on the album by far.

SammyJoe and Zoot Marimba like this.
  17. Cheevyjames

Back in the Village

Really ripping guitar in the intro. I love the way Adrian writes; such a different, creative way of doing things. Once again, Steve is playing his ass off. There's a lot of excitement from all 5 of them, everyone's pushing it full throttle. This is one of those songs where I really just appreciate the POWER of Nicko. It's songs like this where he really excels over Clive. Mega points to Bruce and H for the quick little bridge (but still we walk into the valley, and others try to kill the inner flame) that comes out of nowhere but is a really cool change in the song. Those two really became a fantastic writing partnership. Love this song and I really wish they'd play it live.

18. Zoot Marimba

Back to the Village:
    The song is kicked off by rapid fire riffage, and Steve and Nicko providing some punchy rhythms to compliment the guitars. Bruce comes in and really wails over the music, this is a killer song, and while not as good as The Prisoner, a worthy addition to the album.
    And thanks to @SammyJoe for his review

CBackley and SammyJoe like this.
  19. Back In The Village
    I was thinking I'd mark this one down a fraction compared with the rest of the album but as I've been revisiting all these albums and songs as we go....nah can't do it.
    '.....I see sixes all the way'
    Great song.
    5/5

20. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Back in the Village

I like the kinda laser sound of the opening guitar. Catchy little chorus, and the band does their thing. The problem with this song is that it's merely a good one surrounded by awesomeness.

21. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Like I said in my little review of the song "The Prisoner", I've never seen the tv-series so I don't necessarily fully understand these songs happenings..maybe have to check the series someday.
    Anyways, this has been great album to comment with you here. It feels really packed and lot's of stuff happening in the songs.

MusicMatt and Zoot Marimba like this.
  22. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Not actually on topic but I had to share this since I found this yesterday:

Tennis player Pat Cash spent Christmas with Adrian Smith:

Instagram post by Pat Cash • Dec 26, 2017 at 3:30pm UTC

• therealpatcashWho had the coolest entertainment over Xmas? I challenge anyone! Mine #ironmaiden guitarist and friend Adrian Smith playing and singing the blues after he and his family cooled up a storm! With his husky voice and playing his blues album will surely be a winner!

This sounds really good!
    What do you think, wouldn't it be cool to have proper blues album from Adrian someday?

Soundhead and Zoot Marimba like this.
  23. Zoot Marimba

Sure, why not?
    And of course, Iron Maiden was formed on Christmas Day 1975

SammyJoe likes this.
  24. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

The Duelists: Even if it is a rewrite of "Where Eagles Dare", it's still an enjoyable track. Everyone turns in a stellar performance here.

Back In The Village: The chorus could have used a little more work. Other than that, "Back In The Village" is a solid track.

25. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Powerslave as an entire album just shows how Maiden were truly in a class by themselves at that point in metaldom; the songs, the playing, the production, the album sleeves, the live shows! And whether it was the relentless schedule, a painfully tight deadline, or just sheer creative exuberance, but Powerslave has such an energy to it that powers it along in a way that few if any other Maiden album possesses to the same degree... the bar at the studio in Nassau must have been stocked exclusively with flagons of Red Bull by the sound of it!!!

What a run that band had from 1980-88... seven studio albums in eight years, classics all, and probably the best rock/metal live album of all time!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017