Is 2018 going to be a Deluxe Edition nightmare?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dormouse, Jul 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident Thread Starter

It strikes me that the end of 2018 is going to cause financial problems for collectors. We seem to have a minefield of releases to negotiate. I've no doubt missed a few but here are a few I have my eyes on:
    • White Album super deluxe
    • Imagine super deluxe
    • Imagine deluxe book
    • Imagine DVD/Bluray
    • Bob Dylan Bootleg Series 14
    • Paul McCartney Egypt deluxe version
    • Paul McCartney Archive releases?
    • Kinks Village Green Appreciation Society deluxe edition
    • The Action Shadows and Reflections set
    • Pretty Things SF Sorrow 5oth Anniversary edition
    • Ramones Road To Ruin 40th
    • The Band Music from Big Pink super deluxe
    • The Jam 1978?
    I'm sure that there are a few other items I've missed there but I'm sure others will add add some in!

Suggestions for additional income streams may also be welcome!

2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I'm only waiting to be overwhelmed and disappointed at the same time, by the White Album set...:shrug:

The rest of those are mere distractions, scheduling themselves to pop up in the way of deflecting any real information release about the Tears For Fears Seeds of Love blu-ray.

3. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

Stones Beggars Banquet...supposedly.

bonus, Full Circle, btltez and 10 others like this.
  4. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

Baby Boomers are dying off at an increasing rate --> Product that would appeal to us is being released at an increasing rate.

5. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

OK ! Let's reduce this down somewhat.

White Album Super Deluxe - definitely worth owning
    Imagine - possibly
    Bootleg Series Vol 14 - Yes, if BOTT material
    Paul McCartney - Egypt deluxe - unknown quantity - maybe, maybe not
    Paul McCartney Archives - wonder what's coming ? Maybe nothing until 2019, if White Album, Egypt get released
    Kinks Village Green - 3CD set already exists
    Pretty Things - Possibly, but I already have both the 68 version, and the other recording from the late 90s with Arthur Brown
    The Band - Music From Pig Pink - only an additional I Shall Be Released, as everything else was on the early 00s reissue.

6. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Tom Petty America Treasure Box Set
    David Bowie Loving The Alien

7. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Whatever Led zeppelin releases for their 50th anniversary.

The Doors - Waiting for the Sun deluxe. This one is coming out at the beginning of September.

8. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

There's also the Grateful Dead 1973-74 Pacific Northwest box set.

9. dormouse

It looks like the Imagine set will be worthwhile and I can't see the Bob Dylan release being a disappointment. I do have the Village Green 3CD so that will have to win me over with content. The Pretty Things also. It does not appear that this will have enough as I already have most of what is likely to appear musically. The Band release I have not looked at yet but it was mentioned somewhere so was on a vague list of 'explore'.

10. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Forward 10 yrs from now...A lotta crap never listened to sitting on a shelf as a "collectible".

No thank you.

bootbox, Bebstrel, mikee and 26 others like this.
  12. kevin

kevin Senior Member

There'll also be another King Crimson box by this fall.

audiotom, willy, aphexj and 1 other person like this.
  13. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Yes, although it may take some time for things to sort themselves out, it's wise to take the extremely morbid long-term view of the problem:

"When the first baby boomers turned 65 in 2011, there were just under 77 million people in this population. By 2030, when the baby boomers will be between 66 and 84 years old, that number is projected to drop to 60 million and decrease further by 2060 to only 2.4 million.4 The baby boomers who remain in 2060 will be 96 years and older."

Presumably by the centenary of Woodstock in 2069 there will only be a single Woodstock's worth of boomers left.

DmitriKaramazov and rswitzer like this.
  14. dormouse

Good Grief. This was supposed to be a fun problem not a morbid mortality thread. I'm going to fight that problem while I can and after that the collectables on the shelf will not matter. I'm not buying sets to go in a vault, I'm buying them to enjoy and to get more of an insight into the music I love.

15. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Metallica's ...And Justice For All is rumored for Nov 2.

16. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Once Neil Young Archives goes “live” with subscription, he’s promised all sorts of new archival material!

17. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

Crossing these off the list makes it much better!

Besides, I’m not buying a deluxe edition of Paul’s new album without hearing if I like it first. I don’t blind buy, especially deluxe editions. I’m also not adding a mystery archive deluxe from Paul before we know it’s coming.

18. parman

parman Music Junkie

I've really lost intrest in most of these releases. I have to read in depth about them to see if there is any new material on them. I just don't care about different versions of songs where I can't even tell the difference. That said S.F. Sorrow will get some attention from me. I don't think I knew about a late 90's release :wtf:

19. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Hear here ! :edthumbs:

This comment appears to not make any sense. For one thing, it seems to imply the notion that only persons born before 1965 are interested in music of the 1950s, 60s, 70s, and 80s. It also appears to [put forth the assumption] that there is some correlation between death rate among a demographic and product consumption;
    if you're strictly referring to releases of commemorative product marketed to cash-in on the passing of an artist, these are but a small fraction of new releases among all reissued material.

20. PatrickG

PatrickG Forum Resident

Small Faces are releasing deluxe editions of The Autumn Stone and (once again) Ogdens.

21. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Yeah - moving your cash to the record companies so they can prepare deluxe editions of Unknown Mortal Orchestra LPs for us.

rswitzer likes this.
  22. APH

APH Forum Resident

I'd cross everything off the list except the Dylan bootleg series album.

DirkM, dalem5467, The Killer and 3 others like this.
  23. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

pink floyd animals 5.1
    doobie brothers quadio ....
    new Devin Townsend releases
    all these are supposed to be up soon

If the white album has a 5.1 i will have to say yes
    if the imagine dvd/bluray is playing a 5.1 i will have to say yes
    Bob's bootleg series is fantatstic, but i have only bought the ones that interest me, so this is a wait and see what they have thing for me
    I'm not really interested in the new mccartney album, but i am really hoping that the archive series gets one of those seemingly ignored 70's albums out there! that would be a yes
    I have the 3 disc village green, so it is hard to see that this edition would have much for me to be interested in.
    if big pink is the long hard to get 5.1, i may well get that
    i like the jam but as yet don't actually have any of their albums, so that could be interesting ...

lightbulb, Carl Harrison and dormouse like this.
  24. APH

APH Forum Resident

I've got the This Is Trojan RSD box from a few years ago, so thought this new one would make that redundant. But in terms of the vinyl tracks, I'd say this new one is worse.
    The mix of CD and vinyl is a bit odd. And why those singles? I think they repressed This Is Trojan, so I'd buy say buy that instead, to be honest.
    That said, if the vinyl on this new box is NOT pressed by GZ, that would itself be a big step forward. And the slipmat is nice.

willy likes this.
  25. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

The Jam 1978? what's that?

quicksrt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.