Is 2018 going to be a Deluxe Edition nightmare?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dormouse, Jul 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident Thread Starter

That one is mere speculation based on the fact that there was a 1977 set. I suspect that we would have heard something by now and it is also possible that they may roll 1978/9 together. Always worthy of a re-evaluation though they have done this a few times already. Great band though.

lightbulb, Jack Lord and landerstnkb like this.
  2. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

• Bob Dylan Bootleg Series 14
    • Ramones Road To Ruin 40th
    • The Jam 1978?
    These are the only things remotely interesting - so it's all good. :)

Mind you, I doubt there'll be a Jam 1978.....

Jimmy B. and dormouse like this.
  3. dormouse

Animals could definitely do with a special edition. It is a bit of a missing link following the Immersion sets.

The Bob Dylan set will be a must as will be Imagine and The Beatles.

Village Green will need to be an upgrade with new content and probably cheap as I do have the 3CD set.

We definitely need the McCartney Archive series to finish off the 70s albums. That series has stalled for no apparent reason. Dylan's team seem to have these releases sorted out and regular. There is no reason Paul could not do so.

lightbulb likes this.
  4. I’ll add Jethro Tull - This Was book edition

If the Zep ‘Song Remains the Same’ blu Ray is somehow awesome, I may have to pick up the SD set in addition to it.

Taxman, granata, Kiss73 and 4 others like this.
  5. dormouse

Not my scene but I know people who are waiting for this.

6. It’s gotten so overwhelming lately that I have been really selective about these kind of purchases. The Dylan is the only one listed that I really have any interest in. The White Album might be cool but really all I care to buy is a full set of the demos.

PhantomStranger and LeeGriffin like this.
  7. dormouse

It is a valid approach but this year there does seem to be a lot of interesting items out there. If they are well curated then they are a very enjoyable addition to the collection. The Dylan ones of late have been excellent and the Beatles/Lennon items do sound intersting. I'm sure that the demos will be a core part of the White Album release. Hopefully they will be available in a reduced set for those like yourself.

Most of the sets I have bought I am happy with, but I have resigned myself in slightly with some of the more expensive sets which are of lesser interest or are not musically enticing enough.

Blue Note likes this.
  8. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

I don't see the McCartney Archives coming out this year, so you can probably hold on to that money for a few more months.

9. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

There could be another big Zappa release by the end of the year.

10. TimeandTempo

TimeandTempo Forum Resident

Unfortunately Big Pink is 5.1 and only in the box. It was $80 on Amazon yesterday, maybe it still is?

11. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

For those of use who bend Classical, and haven't been collecting for the past half-century, this clears a slot among the wish list's upper echelon (in fact it's been my #1 across all genres for a few years):
    [​IMG]

crispi, lightbulb, ochsfan and 4 others like this.
  12. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

Not much interest in any of them from me. I'd get the S.F. Sorrow if it were on CD just for the box and goodies, but I have zero interest in the vinyl.

Kiss73 likes this.
  13. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Why would they release a Jam 1978 (or any other year collection) when the Jam 1977 set was essentially them finishing out their Deluxe Edition album series by combining their first two albums both released in 1977 into a single release?

2006 - All Mod Cons
    2010 - Sound Affects
    2012 - The Gift
    2014 - Setting Sons
    2017 - Jam 1977 (first 2 albums)

Not to mention their 6 CD live box set (including one concert from each year of their existence) from 2015, and their 3CD BBC Sessions box from early this century. Plus anything else I've missed from the last decade.

Do you really believe that "Jam 1977" was them restarting a brand new reissue campaign rather than just completing the one that's been ongoing for the last decade plus?

SJP and Freek999 like this.
  14. dormouse

I have most, if not all of the Pretty Things releases at least once and in most cases more than once as the box set from a few years back provided extra copies of most. It was a good comprehensive set though with a nice book, memorabilia, dvds etc. as well as the CDs. The latest SF Sorrow looks nice and I think it has a signed element. However the band were kind enough to sign a nice annotated set list that I grabbed from the stage after a gig a decade or so ago so even this is not an essential for me.

The Lone Cadaver likes this.
  15. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I draw the line at purchasing unneeded vinyl in ungainly LP packaging just to get at otherwise unavailable digital goodies. I managed to resist such multi-format mega-boxes for STICKY FINGERS and TUSK, which would not have been the case years ago.

dormouse likes this.
  16. dormouse

To be honest I had the first Complete Jam box set from many years ago so I didn't get the deluxe versions of the the original albums and was not really aware of how and when they appeared. I did get the live box set though and I guess I just assumed that they were starting again from scratch with 1977 to match the format of the live set. What you say however makes sense and I am sure that you are correct and it was the end of a series rather the start of a new one!

lightbulb likes this.
  17. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

No more so than any other year since 'Super Deluxe Editions' became a thing.

mjb likes this.
  18. The Lone Cadaver

Same for me. The Bouquets box set is terrific but I already had multiple copies of Sorrow. The band signed a bunch of photos and albums for me as well in 1975 and in 1998 and 1999. And I also have an original Rosalyn promo ad signed by May, Taylor, Prince, Pendleton and Sax, so I'm covered on autographs.

dormouse and Haggis Wampovich like this.
  19. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Don't think it will be cheap. 5 CDs, 2 LPs and 3 singles as i was told. Smile Sessions box had one single less.

I have some feeling that Sell Out super deluxe will come out later this year.

lightbulb and The Lone Cadaver like this.
  20. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

...with outtakes or four discs (Lp/CD x2 respectively) of the same album?

21. The Lone Cadaver

OK, a Sell Out super deluxe I'll definitely buy.

lightbulb, PIGGIES and dormouse like this.
  22. dormouse

The whole deluxe idea is a minefield. Some are just great (perhaps the Chris Wood Evening Blue set being an example), some are comprehensive to the hilt for a certain era (Bob Dylan Cutting Edge), others career spanning (The Pretty Things' Bouquets From A Cloudy Sky). Some are cheap and cheerful, while others such as the Ian Hunter set from a few years back looked very interesting but were priced too high for me to justify. I'm sure it was a good set but you have to draw the line somewhere and as it was solo only I resisted. If it had included the Mott material as well I may have caved!

Imagine70 and granata like this.
  23. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

for those who love adventure there's an upcoming Gong Virgin Years box of around 14 discs w/quad mix of You.

Bring it on.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    Imagine70, downer and richierichie like this.
  24. TimeandTempo

TimeandTempo Forum Resident

The worst part is if I ever MIGHT want them, I feel like I need to be on the ball. McCartney’s Ram is out of print, the Cutting Edge goes for $1200+... let’s not even talk about the Five Years Box... who knows what I may desire in the future and be unable to get because I waited.

The opposite is also true. I just bought George Harrison’s absurdly overpriced vinyl boxset for $200 brand new. I think it was $500 retail? Glad I waited on that one.

lightbulb, ted321 and dormouse like this.
  25. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Another Halloween run of shows, am I right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.