Is 2018 going to be a Deluxe Edition nightmare?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dormouse, Jul 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

...aaaaannnd, welcome to 2018, new word in the vocabulary! :cheers:

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

GILESFIDE...Definition: on how not to do a Beatles remix....so it is said so it is written! LOL...

andrewskyDE likes this.
  3. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Blood On The Tracks. No details known yet.

It's Felix likes this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

OK, thanks...

5. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

If they do these RIGHT I`ll take a loan out if needed!:D

6. ABBDutchFan

ABBDutchFan Forum Resident

There's also The Allman Brothers Band - Fillmore West boxset in the works (but no release date yet so maybe > 2018).

Humbuster likes this.
  7. APH

APH Forum Resident

The Dylan ones are consistently great.
    The White Album demos - are there fans who haven't heard this stuff? I heard the best of them on vinyl in the 80s. It's interesting, but not essential in the way that the actual albums are essential.

SteveM likes this.
  8. andrewskyDE likes this.
  9. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Depeche Mode just joined the deluxe club with boxsets of "Speak & Spell" and "A Broken Frame". This will go on until at least "Violator".

As far as new albums are concerned the only two I'm definitely buying are Spiritualized's "And Nothing Hurt" and "The Blue Hour" by Suede. Even though the latter's content hasn't yet been specified.

10. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Thanks for the link! Such a great album!

Wasn't that just 12'' single boxes of those album eras?

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

but nobody buys CD's anymore :)

jay.dee and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  12. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The only interesting is the White Album... all others, meh!

ted321 and andrewskyDE like this.
  13. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Well, still there must be lots of nobodys here and there.

Sean, SteveM, richierichie and 2 others like this.
  14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

must be.....................:righton:

Sean, dormouse and andrewskyDE like this.
  15. Neonbeam

No, the album plus corresponding 12-inches.

16. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I would assume these sorts of collectors/fan issues will accelerate not lessen. The simple reason for this are the falling media sales for even the current top stars. So there is less and less competition for promotion of current and likely more expensive new issues compared to the re-release of material already recorded and sitting in the vault or on a computer.

17. CD’s? Can’t seem to find preorder links?

18. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Mmmm......deluxe archive sets and live (archive) sets seem to be outnumbering new music at the moment......and I for one am getting a little weary of duplication.....

That said......I'm looking forward to the following deluxe sets this year...

Marillion - Clutching At Straws (Rumoured - although Fish is touring it so I assume its a given)
    Jethro Tull - This Was
    Whitesnake - Slide It In.

I'm going to get the 4 CD Tom Petty Set but see no value going of the deluxe set at ££££......

19. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

20. Jim Duckworth

Jim Duckworth I can't lose with the stuff I use.

I am interested in the bands and these deluxe issues both real and imagined. However, I feel that buying various sets over the years, for instance the 3 cd Village Green or the Deluxe Ogden's Nut Gone Flake, has made these seem a good deal less essential than might first appear to be the case. Thanks for posting this.

dormouse and art like this.
  21. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

The part with the inclusion of the album itself is new to me. Any bonus outtakes then?

22. Neonbeam

Wow, you are right. I totally got this wrong. Sorry.

It's indeed only 12-inches. And I was wondering if the albums would be a brand new remastering.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  23. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident Thread Starter

Your comments are valid. I'm not sure I have many of these editions that I actually regret and I do go back to them but it really should be a case of choosing wisely and appropriately. The 3CD Village Green set I don't recall being very expensive and having played it just a day or so ago I have no regrets and it may be that I may even go for the next incarnation if it is a significant upgrade with new material. There are a few sets I have either taken a gamble on or bought cheaply and have proved to be surprisingly good. The Graham Parker set falls into the latter category and Chris Wood's Evening Blue proved to be a superb and enlightening read along with a great selection of music I was not overly familiar with.

There are some sets I have not perhaps spent as much time with as their price tag should warrant but from past experience I often find that this is as a result of a surfeit of music at a particular time rather than anything inherently problematic with the release and I often dig in at a later time with great enjoyment.

We all have our red lines which we do not cross (often just financial) but that is a good thing otherwise we would just drown in sets that it is impossible to fully appreciate. This year does look like a bumper and expensive one but I'm sure that there will be much to enjoy as the cold weather draws in. Looks like trying to put something aside each month to see me through as I expect these things will start to appear on pre-orders very soon. In fact some are already appearing!

Taxman likes this.
  24. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

Which is why I limit my purchases to a few select musicians/bands. Thankfully, I’m picky as hell when it comes to music anyway, so I don’t really end up spending too much.

25. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

The only nightmare would be if they all arrived at the same time when my wife is home. Otherwise I'm good.

nojasa, Gavaxeman, hamicle and 10 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.