Is $2500 the point of diminishing returns?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ron Scubadiver, Oct 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

Perhaps we all first need to decide/agree on an actual definition of what "Diminishing Returns" means as far as referring to "Hi-Fi" rigs.
    From most of the comments I have read, it sounds as if the idea of the term is being used in completely different ways.

Honestly, I do not think the term can (fully)apply to a subjective hobby such as audio.
    Sound DOES keep getting better and better as we spend more, and I am sure we all agree at some vague point, the outlay of cash will increase and the sound quality increase will eventually get smaller, but not sure there is some exact point any 10 people will agree where things go from 50/50% to 51/49%:shake:

2. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

Upgraditis and Change for the sake of change is what makes me own nearly 10 pairs of speakers and find myself unable to use most of them all or get rid of most of them.

3. missan

missan Forum Resident

The problem is that we cannot have the same definition on SQ. People like all sorts of components, and how it should sound varies enormously; so diminishing returns is just something made up that doesn´t work.

I mean some thinks that vinyl is the creme de la creme, some thinks a hornspeaker sounds good, some thinks hi resolution audio is a must; do I need to go on......

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    Brother_Rael and Higlander like this.
  4. noladaoh

noladaoh Retired

I seem to remember you praising ATC active speakers. I think components offer more flexibility and upgrade goodness.

5. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Let me know the next time you get the itch to upgrade. :)

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Best stereo system I know of today is my friend Joel's system in his playroom. It is fantastic. He has a dedicated room for it all but he can't stop upgrading. Sounds the same each time he upgrades but what do I know?
    Sure, get me a pair! Only $19,990.00.

ATC SCM150ASL Pro 15" 3-way Powered Studio Monitors.

7. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

LeeS and Higlander like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.