Is a Nitty Gritty 1.5 FI worth it?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LSGoCards7, Jun 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LSGoCards7

LSGoCards7 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I currently use a Spin Clean to clean stuff. Is the Nitty Gritty 1.5 FI worth upgrading to? There aren't too many reviews out on this thing, so if anybody has personal experience with it let me know your thoughts on it!

I would love any input on this matter. If I don't get a Nitty Gritty I'm probably going to splurge for a Decware Phono Pre.

Thanks! :cheers:

2. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I don't have this machine (I have a VPI), but vacuum record cleaning machines in general are a fantastic upgrade over methods that just wipe dry or air dry.

3. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

I bought one and used it for about a year. The price was relatively good, however,
    I became very dissatisfied with it's overall performance and got a Loricraft and never looked back.

Here are some negatives with the NG 1.5Fi...
    - operates very loud
    - heats up fast
    - average suction
    - slow rotation speed
    - pad needs to be changed frequently
    - will not clean warped/dished records effectively
    - cannot clean 7" or 10" records

4. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Is it worth it?

Yes.

Even better is to invest in the Gem Dandy (cheap), and suck those suckers dry on the Nitty Gritty.
    You wont regret it, I guarantee it.

5. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

There is another Nitty-Gritty alternative which allows you to hookup your own vacuum (I use a Dyson vacuum that has a detachable hose). It has the same exact mechanics of the basic Nitty-Gritty machine, but lacks the vacuum, instead substituting a vacuum cleaner hose connection. It's marketed by K-A-B and costs $129. Much cheaper than the cheapest Nitty-Gritty and works great!

6. LSGoCards7

I checked out the prices on the Loricraft, and they are way out of my price range. I need something in the $700 and below category. Personally I don't care if it operates loudly or has slow speeds, but did the 1.5 FI clean them effectively? I have an Ortofon Black with a Nude Shibata stylus and no matter how hard I try with the Spin Clean, some LPs will not play quietly. I've heard from A LOT of people that vacuum cleaning is the way to go. I'm not talking about VG records here either, I only buy NM unless it is very rare or ridiculously expensive.

7. blakep

blakep Senior Member

Yes, that pretty well says it. The KAB with a decent vac attached to it pretty well eliminates all of the problems Dogpile describes above with the NG 1.5 with the exception of problems with warped or dished records (can't say I've had this problem but I just don't have extremely warped or dished stuff in my collection) and the necessity to change the velvet strips. I tend to pre-clean dirty records with a carbon fibre brush and Nagaoka roller before the wet clean though and usually get 300-400 records out of a felt strip so I don't consider that bad.

I think the KAB works best if you set up a junk turntable beside it for applying fluid as it is totally manual but if you have the space that is not an issue and scrap tables can be found for next to nothing.

Plus, if you already have a vacuum, the KAB is only $160 or so.

8. LSGoCards7

Honestly, I would prefer more automated steps than the K-A-B.

Would a VPI HW-16.5 be a better option than the Nitty Gritty?

9. Bob_in_OKC

The 16.5 is a nice machine. It doesn't apply the fluid for you, but I think that's no problem. You squirt a little fluid on the record manually and use the brush to even it out to a film....just holding the brush while the turntable moves the record under it. Then you rotate the vacuum nozzle over to the record and flip the vacuum switch. It has very good suction and dries the record in about 4 seconds. Considering what a cartridge or phono preamp costs, the 16.5 is a great use of your audio budget.

10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

16.5 is also extreme noisy if you're sensitive of ear. Overall a good performing RCM. Has most of the Nitty Gritty disadvantages. Loricraft or Keith Monks is the best RCM of them all but uber expensive (only reason why we have them was my wife's parents had money). Our Loricrafts were a wedding gift.

11. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

For me, a mildly dirty surface required two cleaning sessions and a dirty surface at least three.

Effective? Yes, but one needs patience when cleaning several records at one sitting, then the unit starts to heat up.

The Loricraft is not cheap but it does everything right and has a 5 year warranty.

12. McGruder

McGruder Eternal Musicphile

I think the VPI 16.5 or the Nitty Gritty 1.5fi are great, reliable choices at your price point that will do a great job of making your records clean and quiet.

The most important features are the automatic spinning of the record and a vacuum system IMO. Sometimes, no fluid is really needed, just a quick vacuum. I think that applying fluid via the pump (in the case of the Nitty Gritty) is relatively unimportant, although it works well and is a nice convenience.

At these prices, you won't find a "quiet" vacuum equipped RCM. I'm not sure why some think the felt pads on Nitty Gritty's would need to be replaced frequently. If positioned properly, they last a very long time. Perhaps some people are attempting to salvage much dirtier, grungier records than I would normally bother with in any kind of significant quantity. In any case, I think either of those 2 models would be excellent return on investment, but I'd recommend the NG for space savings and the convenience of the automatic application of fluid.

13. McGruder

McGruder Eternal Musicphile

The Nitty Gritty Mk3 has a "3-way" adapter factory installed to support 7, 10 and 12" records. You own a RCM as expensive as a Loricraft, yet you play warped and dished records?

14. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Either a VPI or a Nitty Gritty will definitely be an upgrade from the Spin Clean, there is no doubt that a vacuum cleaning system is more effective in removing dirt and other foreign material from the record.
    However, I used to have the Ortofon Black and even after a good cleaning it was way too sensitive to noise, so you have to accept that as part of the deal.

15. LSGoCards7

Yeah I understand. The noise isn't all that bad on most, but I know vacuum is the way to go for serious cleaning.

16. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

My life has just changed because I am now using the Spinclean with my VPI to vacuum...record previously cleaned with RRL fluid (now MFSL) and Disc Doctor brushes were still dirty! All records cleaned are shockingly silent now...

17. LSGoCards7

I should've mentioned that I would be using the Spin Clean in combination with an RCM.

18. Vonschinkel

Vonschinkel Forum Resident

I used to use the KAB for quite a while and it did wonders to records found at places such as Half Price Books and the dollar bins. I recently lucked into an older model Nitty Gritty 2.5FI from a Goodwill and I am loving not having to lug out my vacuum cleaner anymore. I have also switched over to a two pass cleaning system which has worked out fantastically. First pass is with the MFSL Super Deep Cleaner and then I do a rinse with L'Art du Son. I let both of these steps soak for five minutes before vacuuming at each step. As mentioned before, having an older turntable to apply the fluid makes the job a lot easier. Granted, this takes about 30 minutes to clean 4 records but man do they sparkle afterwords. It also gives you another excuse to listen to music while you clean :).

In summary, any "certified" method of cleaning your records will be an improvement and quite often it will be a dramatic improvement. It's hard to imagine not having an RCM now. If you already have or are planning to amass a good size collection the investment is worth it. Otherwise you can probably take the few albums you want cleaned down to your local vinyl shop and they should offer to clean them for you, usually around a buck a piece.

19. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I can tell you from experience that you will not regret that thought. The Nitty Gritty 1.5 is the best value in vacuum record cleaning machines as far as results and function goes. I have sold them for years, so I am rather proficient at pointing out the benefits of the designs. The automatic function and self contained vacuum actually provide better results as well as just being easier to operate. I'd not be without it. The manual versions clean well but you can't quite duplicate the consistency of the automatic rotation and manual rotation is even more awkward than it looks. I actually recommend the 2.5 unit for most of my customers. It has the solid oak case, which is very durable and looks nice protecting your investment. I have used the FI models (fluid injection) but actually prefer to apply the fluid to the pads manually. It's easy to do on the NG machines as it's completely visible and you can tell exactly how much is going on. It also makes for more efficient use of fluid in the same way. I think you'll find it one of your best investments in analog gear.
    -Bill

20. buckeye1010

buckeye1010 Zephead Buckeye

I have a NG 1.5FI and absolutely love it! I've cleaned over a thousand LPs on it. It makes a huge difference, especially if you buy used records. It can't take the scratches out of records, or remove the distortion of heavy played grooves. But when I got it, I used to A/B records and once cleaned, the sound was so much cleaner and quieter! I clean everything once when I get vinyl (new and used). I've never looked back!

Maintenance? Yes, I've had to replace the pads maybe 5 or 6 times and the rubber capstan a couple of times.

I never owned another RCM, so I can't compare. Just call me happy and satisfied!

21. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Yep, they are the real deal. Those pads come 4 to a pack and are very affordable at $18.50 for the set of 4.

If these machines would fix damaged records and rework horrible masterings, they would be very special, indeed! I bought my 2.5FI before I ever had a hi-fi shop. The great results that I got with mine sealed my decision to carry the Nitty Gritty line.
    :cheers:
    -Bill

22. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I'll say. I never would have thought. Congrats!

23. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Yeah, that pretty much defines lucky. I'd bet that one could sit there for over a week though and no one would have a clue what it was!
    -Bill

24. LSGoCards7

Thanks for all the recommendations and info guys! Looks like a 1.5/2.5 FI is the way to go for my price range.

25. Bob_in_OKC

Seems like no one ever regrets it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.