Is a "phono" cable necessary instead of an interconnect?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joe Spivey, Sep 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi -

I'm hooking up an entry/budget level turntable to a new integrated amp (RA Sphinx). The amp has a phono input for mm and high output mc carts. I'll be using an AQ Evergreen interconnect (rca to rca) cable once the amp is delivered. I'm interested in auditioning a variety of cables from the Cable Company and need some help deciding which cables to select.

My question - Is it best practice to run a "phono" interconnect instead of a regular interconnect in this instance? Some insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Joe

2. paulieb00

paulieb00 Senior Member

Hi Joe,

A phono cable in its truest sense has rca plugs on one end, and a tonearm din plug on the other end. It also has a ground wire with a spade lug on same side that the rca's are on.
    Some turntables have rca's on the back so you can use regular interconnects with rca's on both ends. Some of these cables may have a ground wire attached with lugs on both ends as well (like VPI), most do not.
    Either way you should look for a well shielded cable with low capacitance, and use the shortest run you can get away with.

Regards,
    Paul

raferx, Joe Spivey and octaneTom like this.
  3. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident

Yeah, I think "phono cables" is a bit of a legacy term that's been, as far as most people will ever need to be concerned, repurposed. I certainly found it confusing when I was starting out. I think now a "phono cable" is, most of the time, just a well-shielded RCA cable, where that shielding may not be necessary in other connections. When you do get your system set-up, if you find that it has a low-level hum, it may be worth seeing if the hum disappears when you use a more well-shielded cable between the table and the phono pre/integrated receiver.

Rockos and Joe Spivey like this.
  4. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

What table is it? Does it have the cables built in (2 rca + ground) or does it have female RCA's? If it's the one in your profile you will need properly shielded cables. Without them it will hum, and IIRC Grado carts are sensitive and will certainly require a good shielded cable.

5. paulieb00

paulieb00 Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] Here are some pics to show what I was talking about.

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Any RCA will do as long as it is shielded. Have fun.

7. Joe Spivey

Yes it's the Uturn Orbit with Grado. The deck is basic RCA connector and internally grounded.

8. Seancito

Seancito Forum Resident

I have the same amp, a Rogue Audio Sphinx. Let us know how you like it! Mine is with a VPI Scout. I am waiting to get new interconnect cables that are better shielded, since my older interconnects had a bit of a hum. It's a great amp, so enjoy it and give some feedback!

9. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident

By the way, if you're swapping cables to solve a problem like hum, go for it. If you're swapping cables to improve/change the sound, I think you'd be better off spending money on, say, the acrylic platter for the Orbit if you haven't upgraded that yet, or ultimately a better turntable. I think even those who insist that cables make a difference will argue that, as long as you don't have a cable-induced problem like hum, it's the change you worry about when you've set pretty much everything else up to your liking. If that's the case and you're happy with the Orbit and just want to tweak for tweaking's sake, though, have fun! And apologies if you know all this already, but speaking from experience, I know how this amazing forum of incredibly helpful people can nevertheless cause priorities to get little skewed for folks newer to the world of vinyl.

Shak Cohen, Jasonb and adamdube like this.
  10. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

That evergreen looks to a well shielded cable, should be just fine. And I think they are directional cables, so make sure the arrow pointing towards the amp side is right

11. Joe Spivey

Ta

Thanks! I'm looking forward to its arrival. It'll be replacing the NAD C 316bee that's running KEF LS50s. Once I'm settled with the new amp, I thought about auditioning new cables, especially if a 'phono' cable was recommended. However, looks like a well shielded cable should do the job for now.

12. Rockos

Rockos Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Get the best interconnect cable you feel comfortable buying.

13. Joe Spivey

I've been happy with the table thus far and completely understand the benefits of upgrading it down the road. I think auditioning other cables in my specific setup would be enlightening, but in no way required. I would then have some experience in the "cable debate" and be able to thrown in my 2 cents - not that it's needed

I've thought about the acrylic platter upgrade. U-turn indicates an improvement of 0.05% in w&f between the mdf and acrylic platter....

14. Joe Spivey

I think that's totally reasonable.

It doesn't hurt auditioning different cables to see if it has a positive outcome. If so, I think roughly 10% of the overall stereo value is a decent budget for such a thing...

Rockos likes this.
  15. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Incidentally, Rega owners won't see the ground spade wire. The company takes care of that via the RCA cables instead.

paulieb00 likes this.
  16. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

...But use the cable that U-Turn includes first.

Joe Spivey likes this.
  17. Captain Wiggette

Captain Wiggette Forum Resident

Knowing AQ, it's probably not shielded well, if at all. I wouldn't touch their stuff with someone else's 10' pole, FWIW.

Rolltide likes this.
  18. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

Well, their website said it was.....(sarcasm)

19. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Audioquest cable works fine as a phono interconnect, ignore the haters.

20. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I replaced my stock Music Hall phono interconnects with a Signal Cable's Silver Resolution Phono/Tonearm offering, fantastic sonics IMO and very affordable at $79 for 2 ft. or $99 for 3 ft. ith longer versions available too: http://signalcable.com/silverresolutionphono.html

Joe Spivey and Rolltide like this.
  21. Joe Spivey

I ordered the Signal Cable's Silver Resolution Phono cable. For $99 bucks I figured I'd give it a try. I'll provide feedback once I've had some audition time with it.

22. Joe Spivey

Seancito - so I've had the amp for a week or so and I'm really enjoying it. It has definitely elevated the performance of the LS50's! I'm utilizing the phono stage and have found it very pleasing. The line stage has vastly improved the sound coming from my connected DAC.

I am dealing with a little more hum/buzz then when I had the NAD amp in my system. I'm troubleshooting to see if it can be eliminated completely - fingers crossed. Did you notice an increase in hum/buzz when you installed the Sphinx?

23. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I hope you like it Joe!

24. Seancito

Seancito Forum Resident

I dont think the Sphinx is the reason for the hum, but the AT440MLA cartridge that I hooked up. I have used a Soundsmith Otello and Dynavector 10X5 with no problems. The hum isnt terrible and I can deal with it. It's mostly at higher volumes with really quiet passages. When a standard recording is playing, it is unnoticeable. I love the Sphinx. I can't wait to upgrade my speakers next from my Rega R1's on stands!

25. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

For some reason I can't explain, I had issues with two different Audioquest cables on my phono preamp. I am thinking maybe the cables got damaged when connected to my ARC preamp. The AQ lower end cables do not allow much spread between the Jack's and were maxed out connecting to the preamp.

The July case I can give to a dedicated phono cable would be f you needed a predictable capacitance as some who go a bit nuts wth their TT setup!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.