Is anybody interested in a jazz on audiophile vinyl (and maybe some digital) thread?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David Ellis, Dec 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Six String

Six String Senior Member

We have a jazz thread where we talk about what we are listening to and speaking of the quality of the pressing is not unusual, nor does it constitute a thread crap imo so all of that kind of discussion is inclusive in that thread. Of course you are free to start any kind of thread you want and see if it gets legs. My only reason for bringing it up is that the jazz thread is already a small thread and another thread talking about favorite albums and artists and how they relate to an audiophile release is not only a little redundant but it would split the small group of jazz fans into smaller groups yielding smaller threads which is rarely a good thing. I understand your interest in such a thread as I think it is a very valid subject to be discussing. I just don't know why a separate thread is needed for it.

2. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident Thread Starter

If you mean the "Jazz" thread where everybody seems to post pictures of what they are listening to and try to outdo others with the obscurity of their current album (apologies if I've got that wrong just how it appears to me), then I want this thread to be different which so far it is. More about classic and mainstream jazz, and for those of us relatively new to jazz on vinyl a way to learn what's good and what's really good. I have tried that thread but I've found myself wading through post after post of I'm now listening to......... and now I'm listening to etc etc. And that's great for those guys, I just wanted something different.
    And if I'm honest I'm a little intimidated by it. On here it's "ask the stupid question" nobody will laugh.

3. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Well, I think you are wrong about the characterization of that thread but that's only my opinion. Like I said, it seems redundant to me a little as I would like to see more discussion of jazz even on that thread. Sure some people don't post more than a picture of an album but that is not true of all. Some people are newbies to jazz and don't feel they have enough knowledge to discuss the music but they like what they hear. I don't subscribe to that notion myself as I think one should say whatever they want and not worry about what others think of your comment. I would like more discussion of jazz in that thread instead of posting pictures only but it is a living breathing thing that shifts with the contributions. Discussing only audiophile pressings of jazz limits the discussion to a small handful of titles relative to what's out there.

I don't think people are posting pics of albums as some sort of obscurity contest even if it does look like that. There are some seasoned jazz fans in that thread and they don't listen to the old war horses as much as they used to. They have been at this a while and with that comes experience and discovery of artists who didn't get all the jazz press or win the magazine contests for best this and that. When you've heard Kind of Blue and Blue Train as many times as I have you might be interested in expanding your horizons. Since the audiophile labels focus on the tried and true titles even to the point of repeating themselves, it will naturally be limited in scope but if you are just looking for opinions on those audiophile releases, give it a try. If this thread could bring all the individuals who start and contribute to all the threads on MM, AP, MoFi, Impex, etc. then it would be convenient to go to one thread for all of it. If the other threads continue then this thread may be yet another thread on these titles resulting in a further watering down of all the threads.
    Time will tell. I wish you success.

Btw I don't know of any instance where someone asked a stupid question on the jazz thread and received a chorus of guffaws. No such thing as a stupid question. We are all here to learn about and discuss our hobby. I could see the info in this thread adding to that discussion but I can see why you would want this info separated from general discussion. Again, time will tell.

TimArruda and David Ellis like this.
  4. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

The Acoustic Sounds print catalog is pretty good about containing most reissues in one easy to find place.

Two really good reissues I haven't seen much discussion on- ORG 33 rpm reissues of Thelonious Monk, Solo Monk and Underground. These both sound great and are pressed at Pallas. I like the Impex reissue of Monk's Dream as well.

ORG also released Sun Ra's Outer Spaceways Incorporated. Initially for RSD on purple-ish vinyl, but it has a regular issue on black vinyl, also pressed at Pallas. This is a bit more free, but like most Ra it swings.

Since you aren't opposed to digital I highly recommend checking out the stuff International Phonograph reissues- http://internationalphonographinc.com/

Jonathan is a true audiophile, his master tape 15 ips tape dubs sound incredible. His CD reissues are also fantastic, my favorites are Julius Hemphill Dogon AD, Horace Tapscott The Giant Is Awakened and Bill Dixon Intents and Purposes. If you guys want to see vinyl reissues from him I strongly recommend emailing him, he is very open to suggestions and feedback.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
    trebori, David Ellis and LavidDange like this.
  5. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

Like audiophiles buying the latest gear, carts, pressings and what have you, Jazz is a lifetime commitment. :righton:

Love all those guys! But don't forget Bird, Satch, Dizzy and the Duke?

David Ellis and LavidDange like this.
  6. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

I just bought a gem of an Lp for only $9: Stan Getz au Go Go with Astrud Gilberto. Practically in mint condition and a total 'eargasm'. Highly recommended!

action pact and David Ellis like this.
  7. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

I agree, I recently purchased the Solo Monk LP and it sounds fantastic!

It seems like the MFSL Tribute To Jack Johnson has been on pre-order forever. I'm looking forward to that one. I've been buying more vinyl lately, but I also have a lot of jazz on SACD. Anyone have a preference for one format over the other?

David Ellis likes this.
  8. David Ellis

I always think I prefer vinyl but I've just been listening to Waltz For Debbie on XRCD. Really they can both be great.

Six String likes this.
  9. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

I have a very nice sounding SACD of Eric Dolphy's Out There. I haven't seen a lot of hi-res jazz releases and there's also an issue with kind of slammed recordings on some of the old Blue Note stuff that doesn't really lend itself to audiophile reissue for that reason - super bright, distorted hi-hat, etc. But there is one Duke Ellington LP I have that I don't remember the name of because I'm not at home right now that is one of the most fantastic sounding old recordings. The title mentions that in some way.

10. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

You apparently want to learn more about the music (we're all in that boat, always trying to learn), and confining yourself to a thread about jazz on audiophile vinyl is quite narrow. You run the real risk of freezing your own tastes in amber c. 1959. There's a lot more to jazz than the twelfth iteration of Waltz for Debby (Enrico Pieranunzi, anyone?) or the upteenth Kind of Blue. I mean, the Music Masters vinyl thread is great, but I wonder how many of those guys and girls have heard the latest Wadada Leo Smith, or the new Mark Turner on ECM.

11. TimArruda

TimArruda Well-Known Member

I really don't think that is a fair characterization of that thread David. I used to post in that thread constantly, and half the stuff that gets posted I either am not familiar with or am and just don't like it. I never got the sense that folks post in that thread trying to outdo anyone, and it is a friendly, great bunch of people. There is no judgement about what you like and don't like, or how deep your knowledge of jazz goes, or does not. Anyone who has read any of my posts know I have pretty conservative tastes in jazz, mainly straight ahead sessions of either hard bop or close to it and my knowledge of the jazz world is relatively shallow. I have discovered *a lot* of new jazz through the Jazz Beat threads. I haven't posted for a while, but I think you've prompted me to begin posting regularly again if you think the folks who post there don't listen to classic straight ahead jazz.

Don't be intimidated David, like I said, a great bunch of people regularly post in that thread. This is not a commentary on me thinking this thread is a bad idea, on the contrary, I think there is certainly room for both. You are missing out though by not participating in those threads.

12. TimArruda

On the subject of Impex, I'm listening to LP#2 of Miles Davis In Person at the Blackhawk Friday and Saturday Nights. This is my first title by Impex and I'm really happy with it. The jacket cover is great quality, glossy and thick. The pressings are flat and quiet and most importantly the sound is wonderful. I was turned on to this particular title by my friend Milan in the Jazz Beat thread. :edthumbs:

David Ellis likes this.
  13. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

My interest in jazz led me to investing in my first turntable. I've been picking up originals here and there, all of the Blue Note 75th reissues, and cherry picking audiophile versions where I can. I've found that I prefer mono over stereo versions 9/10 times.
    Do most of you guys subscribe to series when that's an option or cherry pick those titles you like?
    I've also found I prefer 33 over 45, since I'm usually trying to unwind.
    I'm on the fence about subscribing to the 2015 MM series since I just bought a bunch of them this past year as part of the Blue Note 75th series.

Bill

14. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

Like the idea of this thread. The MM thread gets so tiresome with some people going off topic, way too often.

Another jazz audiophile label to check out is Sam Records.

This Chet Baker reissue -- part of a series -- is simply outstanding.

[​IMG]

15. TimArruda

I'd be interested in this one. Where do you pick them up?

16. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident

Didn't know this set existed, but now I'm very curious... I don't think original pressings of these LPs are that rare, though, are they? I see at least one or two of them at the local used stores regularly. Anyone compared the originals with this set?

And since my didn't-mean-to-thread-jack question got a few people in enough of a tizzy over in the Music Matters thread to suggest starting this thread, I'll move that question here: anyone know if the Speaker's Corner version of Night Train cleans up the swishy cymbals any? I've got an original mono pressing that, while sounding generally great, still has that too-forward, swishy-cymbal problem. I believe I read somewhere that it had to do with the mic placement, and so is on the tapes and unfixable, unfortunately...

17. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

Hey Tim.

I got mine from a Canadian outfit called record-groove.com. They are very easy to deal with.

Acoustic Sounds also carries the Sam Records line.

The LPs are kind of pricey, but they do first class job.

TimArruda likes this.
  18. redflag

redflag Forum Resident

I have the start of a pretty decent jazz collection going, but the only thing I own that might be considered "audiophile" is the RSD Black Friday re-issue of the mono Kind of Blue.

ShawnX and David Ellis like this.
  19. David Ellis

Thanks Tim. I'm still viewing Jazz Beat but just so much of it I don't know about and I just can't afford to buy everything that sounds interesting.

TimArruda likes this.
  20. David Ellis

I've been recommending Impex for years. I have most if not all of their jazz titles. You should really try Straight No Chaser.

TimArruda likes this.
  21. David Ellis

I bought 1 & 2 some time back on a French label, Barclay, from Juno. They are very good.

22. David Ellis

I have it so I'll check t out and come back to you.

23. David Ellis

A very good start.

24. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

Try www.nobusinessrecords.com

A great label with an excellent roster of modern jazz artists.

Their vinyl releases are outstandingly done, and equal to any of the big labels getting around. IMO.

I have about a dozen albums from the label, to base my claims on.

25. David Ellis

Can you recommend anything that's not free jazz or avant-garde?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.