Is anyone using Boltz LP shelving?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ls35a, Jan 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. JMT

JMT Senior Member

I'm using their CD racks, don't have any experience with their LP product.

3. jonj

jonj Forum Resident

I have two of their lp racks. I've had the wide four shelf unit for a few years, then added a wide three shelf version due to more lp purchases. I find them be solid and durable racks. I added the backplates and front supports, the latter just to keep the lps more vertical. The front supports are unnecessary from a shelf flex standpoint. I keep my Klaudio on the top of the three shelf unit. I have the wheels on both. Very satisfied with them.

I have been thinking about their CD racks, but haven't tried one yet.

JNTEX likes this.
  4. John Schofield

John Schofield There is no replacement for displacement

5. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Certainly looks nice and beefy, but...
    This is not the ideal shelf for LP's
    Reasons to not buy:
    1) It's too wide. The LP's will tend to lean too much, or require a pack too tight for easy removal/ replace of an album. And as @jonj mentioned, he added supports to help keep the LP's more vertical, a very important point. (think he meant a vertical riser in the middle?)
    2) Too wide, continued... a wider shelf tends to sag. A shelf-full of LP's is heavier than books and do require special construction to prevent unsightly sagging., After all, the shelf does display the LP's both in function and form.
    3) The shelf is open. As anyone understands a collection should be proudly displayed, most other collections are under glass, in glass, kept relatively dust free, coins, glassware, baseball memorabilia, etc. Why then do audiophiles who must continuously battle static and dust, counter-intuitively keep their records on an open shelf?

Suggestions:
    1) An open box shelf, still subject to dust, however strong and will never sag, small cubicals minimize lean and allow a looser pack for easier shelving of the records.
    2) Enclosed box shelf with glass doors ..... I do not think these exist ..... why not?
    3) Enclosed melamine storage cabinet, not ideal since these require modification, the addition of middle risers to support the weight. I have two of these from the Home Depot. (older model better built) The melamine surface is smooth and easy on the covers (or poly outer sleeve) and it cleans easily.

Taboos:
    1) Storage near the floor, associates to the casual essence of records, and a comfortable living space. Keeping records in an enclosed cabinet, or behind glass seems too clinical for the average person, and just seems excessive. However keeping records near the floor defies an audiophile's endeavor for better sound, higher fidelity and lower noise from his/ her records. Don't store near the floor where the heaviest dust accumulates.
    2) Storage in a milk crate or similar wood slatted crate, just don't .. a collection of milk crate specials may be a cool thing, but has no monetary value, no collector value. If somebody else doesn't want it, why should you? A proud collection isn't usually a shabby one. The destruction of a record cover is easy, wear and normal use is easy (normal use unavoidable) but preservation is not easy and quite rare.

semi-rant by The FRiNgE, a musical madman

6. merlperl

merlperl Forum Resident

Well I have the boltz cd wall shelves. If the LP shelves are even half as strong as those, there is not even a remote possibility of sag...these things are solid steel!!!

Also I store lots of my records on kallax shelves laying horizontally (the shelves) and the records are an inch or two off the floor. The records are in mofi sleeves and are placed in the covers with the opening up. Then I have poly sleeves over the record covers.

My dogs sleep in that room and I NEVER see excess dust on my records!

Jrr and Fishoutofwater like this.
  7. JCOehler

JCOehler Forum Resident

I have had the 4-shelf LP unit w/casters for almost 8 years and have never had an issue with sagging, this thing is incredibly solid and I keep each shelf full, 175 LP's each. It's easy to assemble and the casters are great when you need to move, but do so with caution.

8. The FRiNgE

All is good with steel, and at the retail price Boltz shelves sell for, there should never be any sag.
    Also good your records are clean, but that does not change the fact the floor is not the best place to store them.

Happy listening,
    Stave VK

9. The FRiNgE

Didn't check their website, as I do not research every post, but my bad on that point concerning this product. (same dimensions made of wood products, typical 3/4 inch MDF or solid wood will sag) As @merlperl mentioned, the shelving is made of steel, and does not sag. This does not invalidate my points, such as a shorter shelf is so much nicer for the LP's, a looser pack whilst nearly upright.

10. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

Can you elaborate on this point? If my shelf is six inches across or six feet the records shouldn’t flop to either side unless the shelf is under filled. If I “loose pack” three albums in a four inch gap they’re still going to flop to the side

nm_west likes this.
  11. Music1212

Music1212 Forum Resident

+1

12. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

I owned the 3 LP shelf when they were introduced. It was very sturdy and well made but I felt that it didn’t hold a lot of records for how much space it took up. The wide shelves without dividers would be an issue if you couldn’t fill them all fairly tightly. I sold it and never missed it.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  13. Minty_fresh

Minty_fresh Forum Resident

I looked at these but ultimately went with one from lpbin.com

I do like the look though.

14. i find the price too much for me. I too store my LPs a few inches above floor level and i have never had dust issues. My storage "system" costs nothing. I rather buy records than spend on storage systems.

nm_west and Minty_fresh like this.
  15. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

While I’m certain the steel construction of Boltz furniture will outlast anyone who buys it, it’s industrial (ie. ugly) design guarantees a negative WAF and really looks out of place anywhere except workshops.

[​IMG]

I have no idea who buys their bedroom and living room furniture. People who live in those converted-factory apartments with red brick interior walls that decorate with whole motorcycles I suppose.

16. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Not sure a negative WAF is "guaranteed"; my wife Sara loves these Boltz shelves for LPs ... Though after conversation we did agree to sell my Boltz CD shelves, for the much more awesome and space-efficient Can-Am CD/DVD drawers. All are shown in the photo below. I love this configuration and I'm listening to Andy Partridge's Fuzzy Warbles Vol. 3 as I type this and Thanksgiving day guests are arriving ... !

[​IMG]

17. The FRiNgE

Very simple actually, a longer line of records lean more, even a slight lean applies more pressure against the records and covers, not good!
    On a long shelf, you must pack the records very tightly to prevent the slightest lean. (not good because now there will be pressure on the records and covers, record rings develop on the covers)
    On a short shelf, a slight lean does no harm. Because of fewer records on the shelf, there is almost no pressure on the record and cover, and much easier handling, no shelf sag.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.