Is Arrested Development the best tv comedy series since 2000?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by marke, Sep 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. No. That would be Curb your enthusiasm

somnar likes this.
  2. somnar

somnar Senior Member

"Never into it" implies they've seen it and didn't like it. That post-er then gave a list of shows that they liked.

3. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Yes it is. It's at the top of my all time list. Sure, "Seinfeld" is the gold standard and had a much bigger cultural impact, but I do think "Arrested Development" was funnier.

For another comedy series that ended too soon due to low ratings, see the Starz series "Party Down".

Damien DiAngelo and DeeThomaz like this.
  4. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

One of my favorite moments was when some lady I can't remember was putting down George Micheal and called him Opie and Ron Howard said “Now she had gone too far, and she had best watch her mouth.” in the voice over.

Chad

5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Never heard of it.
    Is it a sitcom ?

I found Extras to be very funny.

6. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

I think I just blue myself.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  7. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

And that's how you narrate a story.

DeeThomaz and ChadHahn like this.
  8. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

No kidding. I mean, what's the point of that? "Hey look at me, I know nothing about this and can add zero value, but I still want you to know how it affects me!"

I don't go into the pointless McCartney threads and say "never listened to a second of any of his solo albums". I just don't go into the thread because it doesn't interest me!

Some people just like to be PITAs.

sparkydog, jdw, spanky1 and 3 others like this.
  9. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

10. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

It certainly would be among the top. Great show.

11. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

I really liked "Party Down". Season 1 was excellent. Season 2 wasn't nearly as good, but I felt there was a story there to bring it back up the next season.

That show is the perfect example of why I hate getting into shows late. Toward the end of season 2 is when I first heard of it. On Demand had all of the episodes available, so I started at the beginning and binge watched that show to the point where I finally got caught up. It was then when they announced that they were cancelling the show. :( The very last episode was the first one I saw that was current, and it was the last ever.
    I spent all that time getting emotionally involved with the show, and getting caught up, just to have them end it. BOO!

ampmods likes this.
  12. trem two

trem two Forum Resident

Your all wrong ;).
    That honor goes to the first five or six seasons of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia".

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  13. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

I love it and am looking forward to watching the fourth season. Rewatching the first episodes, I realised how quickly the jokes fly by (verbally and visually) - not often you can rewatch a comedy show and have it seem new again. Great acting, getting the most out of the wonderful writing.

14. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

15. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

For best, I would give the nod to the UK version of The Office, but no show of that time period made me laugh more than Development. Brilliant from start to (original) finish.

16. runofthemill

runofthemill Forum Resident

17. theoxrox

theoxrox Forum Resident

No........

18. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I've been re-watching these lately, and I think I would put it near the top of my list, if not on top. It holds up better than I would have thought. Great ensemble cast too.

19. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Great show (up through season 3)! Great mentions of other contenders like Sunny, Curb and 30 Rock (also the Middle is another favorite of mine).

What's great about Arrested (and 30 Rock) is how you can watch them multiple times and pick up different things.

I was really disappointed in season 4 though. Aside from a couple episodes it just felt off. It wasn't nearly as quick. But if reports are correct that they are doing it again, I'd love to see some more.

20. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

I thought the first 2 seasons were great but was really let down by Season 3 and haven't been able to get back on board with the latest season.

Also big fan of Party Down, Curb and Always Sunny.

21. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

It sure is! :)

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  22. Vernoona

Vernoona Well-Known Member

Early Doors
    The Mighty Boosh
    Black Books

for mine the 3 funniest shows since 2000.

Uther likes this.
  23. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

The three Fox seasons of AD were awesome, not sure what the hell happened over on Netflix. The first four or five seasons of The Office and Scrubs were just as good, and I'll add a shout-out to Better Off Ted, which ABC inexplicably ran over with a truck and left to die on the road.

One of my favorite AD bits:

24. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Based on this alone, a resounding yes.

Seasons 2 through, oh, probably 4 of The Office were great. The first couple of seasons of Earl were fantastic. 30 Rock was more hit or miss to me, but when it was on, it was close to unbeatable. But AD had moments that were so far beyond anything else that it all bordered on the surreal. The fact that the show existed seemed subversive and perverse. And I love subversive and perverse.

25. Uther

Uther Forum Resident

Wow. I don't think I've ever come across another person who likes (or has even seen) that show. One of my faves. I watch the entire run at least once a year. :edthumbs:

I'd have to say that Futurama is the best comedy of the 21st century, so far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.