Is DIE ANOTHER DAY the worst Bond movie?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by John B Good, Aug 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Don't normally watch Bond, the only DVD I had until DAD came from the dollar bin was Goldfinger. So watched this DAD last night expecting an entertaining escape.

Instead I sat through the worst well-known movie I can remember ever seeing. My research here lead me to this thread:

Die Another Day DVD Hurts My Ears

and Ken (Michi Gort) saying

"Here's my more specific issues as to why I see it as Moonraker for the 21st century:

Special effects that look as expensive as they do fake are favored over the impressive stuntwork that makes the Bond series great.

The dialog, which is normally corny in a Bond film, leaps over the edge into insulting the audience's intelligence.

The villains are idiots played by actors who are either bad or directed to be so.

Playing the space laser card has reached the point where they should just leave it to Austin Powers.

We are somehow supposed to view a certain father-son relationship as operatic drama figuring prominently in the climax even though it has barely been established and their actions make no sense in what little context there is.

Based on the ice palace, the metal weapon suit, and the sub-Schwarzenegger acting by the main villain, I sort of assumed that the filmmakers were welcoming the Batman & Robin comparisons, anyway.

Anyway, I liked all three previous Brosnan films better than this one."

The only saving grace was the topicalness of North Korea these days. :)

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Pretty much.

Scooterpiety likes this.
  3. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Over the top bad. Spectre is the other side of the coin - bad in a very understated way. I honestly don't know which is worse.

4. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Yeah, the weakest of the Brosnan films, but certainly not the worst Bond. My vote would go to either Moonraker or A View To A Kill, with a couple of notable runner-ups.

5. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I'd still vote for Moonraker as the worst. I can at least watch Die Another Day. Not so with Moonraker. It's just too stupid. Personally, I don't think 'For Your Eyes Only' was much better.

mr. steak and GodShifter like this.
  6. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

It is certainly the worst of the Brosnan Bond movies. Though it is not the one that brought us Denise Richards as nuclear physicist Dr. Christmas Jones.

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

No, it has my second favorite Bond...

8. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

The funny things was, afterwards, I checked out the Amazon reviewers, and many of them liked it. Different strokes I guess.

9. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I think Tomorrow Never Dies is Pierce's shining Bond moment. The action in that was very reminiscent of Hong Kong action cinema. Of course, I love me some Michelle Yeoh too...

bhazen, Maggie, BZync and 2 others like this.
  10. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Skyfall is the worst Bond movie. Though I have not seen Specter, which is supposed to be even worse.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Oh, it's much worse.

daglesj and SandAndGlass like this.
  12. No, Die Another Day is not the worst Bond movie, but it is worse than average. I nominate Moonraker as the worst.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Die Another Day is not a good Bond, that much is true.

But worse than Octopussy?

14. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

Dunno about the movie, but certainly a contender for worst Bond theme song.

15. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I've been a life-long Bond fan since I 1st saw Dr. No as a kid. The ONLY Roger Moore Bond I've seen was a segment where he fought Jaws(?). For me, he was Clooney/Kilmer-as Batman bad!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

Is everyone forgetting License to Kill? The only Bond film where I found myself yawning and, generally, not caring at all about anything that was happening. Felix gets eaten by a shark? Bond pops a wheelie in a semi? That was the only scene I laughed at, mainly because of how ridiculous it was, and not in a good way.

The only good bit was that the villain was more toned down and somewhat more realistic than the take-over-the-world-villain-of-the-day type of the later Moore films.

17. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I saw DAD in the theatre and don't remember any of it. Guess it was pretty bad.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Oh no, Spectre redeems the Daniel Craig series quite a bit, and there is even an in-joke that pokes fun at Quantum of Solace's excessive, boring explosion sequence. I like when filmmaker admit fault like that.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  19. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

This..

[​IMG]

Or

[​IMG]

btomarra and mr. steak like this.
  20. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Any of the Roger Moore films are worse, but just barely.

mr. steak, vegafleet and razerx like this.
  21. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

I like it. I think TWINE is the worst Brosnan one by far, then Goldeneye which is decent but forgettable. I like Tomorrow Never Knows and Die Another Day both a lot.

22. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

nah. it ok, the last few craig ones do nothing for me, moonraker is silly but has its charms

23. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

All the Roger Moore hate in this thread is absurd. I thoroughly enjoyed all his films and the audience did as well. I'd take Moore over Brosnan any day. Moore was sophisticated and funny, yet dangerous. He was a good actor as well but the scripts didn't give him much to work with.

24. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

CrazyCatz likes this.
  25. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

Die Another Day is in your face stupid from top to bottom, Spectre just lazy and dull. Any Roger Moore has charms that can't be found here.

The Hermit and snowman872 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.