Is everyone using music subscription services these days?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HarryJS, Jan 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HarryJS

HarryJS Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've tried out all the big ones, apple music, spotify, amazon unlimited ... and I don't know if I'm just not using them right or what, but they just don't resonate with me.

It used to be when I bought an album, it was an investment, so even if I didn't like it on first listen, I'd force myself to listen a few more times, because hey, I spent $10-15 on it, so I might as well try to get my money's worth.

Now, when I listen to a new band on spotify, if the first track doesn't catch me within a minute or 2, I just quit and move on to something else. And there's just SO much music, it's kind of overwhelming.

When I just had my own collection, it's much easier to pick something to listen to. When you have EVERYTHING available, it's hard for me to focus on ANYTHING.

Do you guys like these services? How do you use them?

2. Blank Frank

Blank Frank King of Carrot Flowers

No, everyone isn't...

3. Vdigital

Vdigital Well-Known Member

I use Spotify to check new and old music
    If i really like it i buy it on cd

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I use Amazon Music Unlimited with my Amazon Echos and I like it quite a bit but I also still buy plenty of physical media (CDs).

It is pretty cool to just request a song or artist or genre using my voice. :)

RangerXT, Jimmy B., helter and 7 others like this.
  5. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

Not everyone is a fan but it has become one of the biggest ways people consume music. I had Apple Music for awhile but ended up cancelling it. It's just not the same for me I guess. I purchase more flac downloads now then anything else.

6. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

I don't use any of them, and that includes streaming video services like Netflix, Amazon etc. Not trying to be different or 'edgy', I just question the wisdom of the entire world having their entertainment provided to them by Silicon Valley.

7. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

This was our year to host the Christmas party. With Amazon Unlimited's help, I'd say I came pretty darn close to pleasing everyone. Also mighty handy for making informed decisions in the Down Beat readers poll.

Billy Infinity and Crimson Witch like this.
  8. Been busy, and I have not had time to ask everyone to confirm my suspicions, but I will vote no.

timind, Crimson Witch and showtaper like this.
  9. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

i use apple music, mainly as it transfers my iTunes library across. so i can stream my music but also check out any new band recommended to me straight away to see if its worth buying. i stopped buying cds and have sold most of them off, so only really buy vinyl now, and only if its really good and is a decent price.
    streaming i see is like the old day of playing records in shops before buying. looks like its the way forward for the younger generation.

its like having the keys to a massive music library.

with apple music transferring my library, it also knows what i like and suggests playlists to me.

Nineiron, Zeki, coffeetime and 2 others like this.
  10. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

Well, you don't have to focus on everything. Focus on what you want to hear.

When you set out to buy a new record, I don't think you're intimidated by the thought of the millions of different albums that are out there. You just go out and buy what you want. Same thing here.

Hot Ptah, Zeki, Gaslight and 7 others like this.
  11. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

Spotify.
    I check out new releases sometime but it has nearly every old title I want to hear. Good for the car or outdoor Bluetooth listening.
    I use it lot to hear deluxe edition bonus material. Things I might only listen to once if I bought it.

12. tank64

tank64 Forum Resident

No, music subsription services fill in the edges, but the main focus is physical media.

13. DannyC

DannyC Forum Resident

No - I have used Tidal over christmas but like a poster above says - I found I was just listening to tracks and making playlists and actually spending more time flicking through the app whilst a track played than actually listening to the music. Oddly though the same issue occurs now with the NAS streamer I use so Im guilty on all fronts.

duggan and Crimson Witch like this.
  14. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I have several different subscriptions to different SACD series. It comes in handy for my lifestyle.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  15. Django

Django Forum Resident

I have the free Spotify account which I rarely use. Mainly use it to preview music I'm considering buying.

16. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

No. I listen to CDs and vinyl and use iTunes to listen to CDs that I've ripped.

17. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I don't even know what that is :)

18. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I'd never used one until about a month ago when a mate set me up with a free Spotify account, there are a load of rare albums on there which I've never been able to listen to. Also I can check albums out before buying the CD, which brilliant but my bank account is taking a bit of a battering as a result.

One thing I can't work out is how to link it up to my Smart TV/surround sound which is infuriating.

Crimson Witch and Shaddam IV like this.
  19. vulcangascompany

vulcangascompany Forum Resident

Still buy CDs & vinyl, but i use Spotify for listening to new music, trying things out or exploring a certain genre or theme.
    Good for ploughing a back catalogue you won't buy all the CDs - Neil Young i just did! Next is Springsteen..

Crimson Witch likes this.
  20. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

I use Tidal, but find myself with so many options, that I can't figure out what to actually listen to. This usually leads me to grab a record and play that, instead... I will say, on my rig, 9/10 times the record sounds better to me, too, so there's that.

I really like Tidal... I think like mentioned above, I am overwhelmed by it. Never thought about it, really. But I am. I need to figure out a way to enjoy "genres" more and just hit PLAY, sit back, and listen...

21. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

22. RandyHat

RandyHat Senior Member

In the past year I have ripped my CDs and loaded them to a NAS. I have had subscription to Tidal for the past 9 months and play all of this through a Bluesound Node 2. I still have a CD player, an SACD player and a high quality turntable setup. I love the Tidal service for the access to such a vast music library. The sound quality of Tidal is equivalent to a CD. The combination of convenience and sound quality of Tidal has in many ways transformed the way I listen to music. However, as others have noted, it's almost too much of a good thing and too easy. It challenges my already short attention span to the point that I find it harder to "settle in" long term and commit to an album that doesn't immediately draw me in. It's a part of the instant gratification lifestyle offered by the various Internet appliances we become addicted to. Having instant access to almost unlimited information does not equate to knowledge. Likewise having access to an extensive music library does not always translate into increased musical enjoyment. It still requires some discipline and commitment to convert information into knowledge and music into musical enjoyment.

duggan, AndydD, mlew and 9 others like this.
  23. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

No. Never had a paid subscription. Used a free Spotify subscription occasionally for a month or two a few years ago.

Imagine70 and Crimson Witch like this.
  24. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

No. In fact I only know one other person with a Spotify sub (and mine is 99p for three months special offer, so hardly a huge investment)

Unless you wanna go down the "streaming screws over artists" route which is pretty deep and concerning, I don't know why any individual would care how another one gets music.

It's just format wars for the 21st century. Yeah, well... "is Spotify better than 8 track? "

showtaper and Crimson Witch like this.
  25. 905

905 Senior Member

I get Spotify off and on. Sometimes I check out something on Pandora which I have as a channel on the Roku. I like them to discover music I've never heard, or for listening to classical.

Crimson Witch and Shaddam IV like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.