Is everyone using music subscription services these days?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HarryJS, Jan 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I stream only in remote locations on rare occasions using a free app on my phone. I'm an amazon prime member and will occasionally sample things included as considered physical purchases.

As a whole for the most part, I consider the cyber world to devalue the art of music.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  2. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

I mention how to do this in an earlier post.

3. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Seeing as your question can be taken a couple different ways. The reason I want more than 10,000 songs in a playlist is to be able to store my entire collection as one playlist. Then if I so desire I would have the ability to put that playlist on shuffle. Think of it as being like your own personal radio station that plays only what you like, without dj's though which can be good/bad depending on your preference. The good thing though is if you pay for a subscription... NO COMMERCIALS!!

4. Drotz1

Drotz1 Forum Resident

I don't see it in Canada's Play Store.

Crimson Witch and Shaddam IV like this.
  5. Shaddam IV

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  6. Drotz1

Drotz1 Forum Resident

Crimson Witch and Shaddam IV like this.
  7. Stereosound

8. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I'm not streaming anything.

The way I look at it - I've spent decades and decades, buying music I enjoy. Like many here, I have thousands of titles in physical formats. Whose got time to stream? If I'm on the move, I rip a title to MP3.

9. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Google Play's limit is 1,000.

Shuffle!

10. johnebravo

johnebravo Forum Resident

Everyone.

No exceptions.

It's the law now.

11. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

...as in " no ownership of anything " ?

this means that after spending thousands of dollars over a period of years, the subscriber has nothing to show for it. Streaming may seem like a great thing now, but how will subscribers feel once they start losing their collections?

the entire library may not vanish, but the streaming service’s licenses to certain compositions expire and then are no longer available. I see this as a profound problem, because the nature of how I appreciate music is by listening to songs which I find meaningful, over and over again during my lifetime, many of which are nowhere to be found on any subscription streaming service ~ perhaps because they are just not mainstream enough to warrant inclusion, or their licenses are not obtainable by the service providers.

With music subscription, you just keep paying and paying and never have anything unless you keep paying for it over and over again. Like someone mentioned earlier in the thread, pay out on an unending basis and then with the flip of a switch it's all gone and you have nothing. Miss a payment because you lost your job, kiss all your music goodbye
    ( hypothetically, in the sort of world where no one owns anything ).

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    no.nine, Blank Frank and Imagine70 like this.
  12. johnebravo

johnebravo Forum Resident

Well, I left out the smiley face; it was a joke.

Actually, I've never tried one. Never. I'm old and I've already got thousands of LPs and way over a thousand CDs, and I've got waaay more than I could possibly listen to before I go.

Which hasn't stopped me from buying more, of course. Still picking up second hand CDs and LPs that I see that interest me . . .

13. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

I have the one from Amazon that's included with my Prime membership......I don't pay extra for the Music Unlimited. I don't use it in place of physical music, although it's nice to have when I want to listen to music outside or at work.

14. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

But one DOES get something out of subscription services. I am able to listen to albums that would potentially cost hundreds or thousands of dollars for a few bucks a month. I just don't understand why people can't see the value in this. It's like getting pissed off because you've rented DVDs in the past and now don't own them.

15. Stereosound

Then that's even worse. I dislike Google anyway. The only thing Google Play has going for it then is the ability to incorporate one's own files into their streaming platform. I'd pick Apple Music instead in that case. However Apple Music's problem is providing less than lossless quality. Which makes Tidal HiFi better as you could use roon to integrate one's own files with it but that doesn't easily work on mobile. However cost may also be an issue with some people. Deezer's HiFi tier only works with sonos and maybe some other like type system for some stupid reason so not interested in them either. Qobuz isn't available in the U.S. yet but that may change for some soon. Don't think Amazon has the catalog size of Spotify and a few others. It all ends up being a vicious circle that can easily be fixed if at least one of them would change a few things. Merge Tidal, Spotify and Pandora or get Apple to offer HiFi then maybe I could be content.

16. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

And I very rarely still use Pandora and Spotify.

17. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

No.

But a lot of people are.

18. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

It's not a collection. It's a service. It's like buying a cable TV subscription or a Netflix subscription. No one who uses Spotify or Apple Music, I suspect, thinks of it has having a collection. Just like Netflix subscribers don't care whether or not they have Orange Is the New Black in their collection or the latest Liam Neeson movie in their collection, and if they do want a hard copy, they can by one. They just want convenient, portable, cheap, networked access without having to have more stuff.

People don't want more stuff. People are very comfortable buying media and entertainment access on a subscription basis. And the success of Netflix and paid music streaming has had a positive impact on other sorts of paid-content Internet subscription models, like the news business.

The number of people who are invested in having a music collection was always a fraction of the audience for music in the first place. And in the networked, always-on age, it's very easy for most people to live without it. The idea of a collection is a bit of an anachronism.

19. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Don`t know what that is exactly so I guess I am not.

20. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

There was a similar thread on this very topic yesterday.

Do these same people go into the library and then can't figure out what book to take out? You sample and search but, once you have what you want to listen to just listen to that album. It's not that difficult, at least I don't think it is. Maybe some people find libraries intimidating too.

21. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Many of these services offer an offline download option.

22. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I'm also quite shocked that there are people who don't even know what music streaming/Spotify/etc. is. That's crazy!

Bevok and Crimson Witch like this.
  23. Verily, it is amusing how some folks seem to revel in their ignorance.

24. Shaddam IV

I'll take this moment to point out that Google converts your lossless files to 320kbs when you upload them to their platform.

25. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I'm not. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.