Is "Figure of Eight" Paul McCartney's Most Underrated Single?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paperback Writer, Mar 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Klassik

Klassik Guerilla BeatLOLogist

McCartney's most-underrated is Jenny Wren which I hadn't heard til it became a single.
    Designed somewhat as Blackbird part 2, it actually achieves it and for those that say he lost his gift in the previous decades, I'd have to cite this as heavy argument to the contrary.
    A serious piece of art, for me.

2. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

In the US, it was the A side. I don't know exactly why that was. The only explanation I've ever heard is that most Americans wouldn't know anything about Kintyre (so it would be like, say, expecting the British public to buy a record about the Isles of Shoals or some such), but then that didn't stop "Mull of Kintyre" from becoming a big hit in several other countries. Canada was one of the few other countries where it wasn't a big hit.

Paperback Writer likes this.
  3. emkay

emkay Senior Member

In my case, it was compounded by the dumb luck of finding a copy of the record at Sam Goody (a big record retailer in that era) that did NOT have a picture sleeve. That really left the whole a-side b-side thing up in the air. The only tune I had ever heard was "Girls School" on the radio so that's what I was looking for. Just one of those weird curiosities given just HOW big a hit Mull was almost everywhere. It wasn't a minor hit... it was huge!

4. Paperback Writer

Paperback Writer Forum Resident Thread Starter

Were you looking for this? LOL

Was it in one of those generic sleeves ?

[​IMG]

USA - Capitol - 1977

CBS 65780 likes this.
  5. Dancer

Dancer New Member

I read in Record Collector at the time that the single version of Figure of Eight was a complete re-recording. Their world tour rehearsals and even their tour - I think - were underway by the time they released this song as a single and they simply re-recorded it afresh. Simply labelled as a remix, there are certainly extra vocals, etc, during the live performance. The single version (7" edit and full length 12" version) is vastly superior to the album version. Here, as live, it has much more of a rough energy and punch. Compare the two; the album version sounds really flat in comparison.

6. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

To answer the OP's question, a big resounding NO...

It's possibly, arguably, the 6th-8th best song on the album ...of the original 12-13 song tracklist. It sounds like they might've had "possible single" in mind while they were doing it. Figure of eight has a lot of the typical trademarks you look for in a single, guitar riff, catchy title, steady beat.... I don't think it's all that good personally. I'd consider offering an ear or a jar of jellybeans if McCartney had done something cool like say his version of "Wings of a nightengale" from EB 84 or even a catchy throwaway like the 93 Bside Long Leather Coat. But Figure of Eight isin't great, it's ok, I guess it touches a nerve in you & those differences of opinion are what makes horse racing. I'd enjoy hearing McCartney try it with a totally different production style, out of curiosity. But at 75 years of age, that's not gonna happen. Mccartney has at least 40-50 singles under his belt, that are better than Figure of eight, in my opinion.

Digital-G and Paperback Writer like this.
  7. 905

905 Senior Member

Heck, most of the Flowers album is top shelf McCartney.

If I had to pick the one most underrated Macca song it'd be Figure of Eight.

Carlox and Paperback Writer like this.
  8. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

That feeble already-sounding-old-man croak is most definitely NOT his Monkberry Moon Delight voice! I remember being severely disappointed in his vocal performance at the time of the album's release and the years haven't really softened my opinion of the song: it's a weak track and not sung well at all.

9. daveidmarx

That's patently untrue as both feature the same lead vocal and many elements of the backing track in common. It's remixed, and has a guitar solo added along with a few other instruments to sound fuller. But in no way is it "a complete re-recording".

10. Dancer

Dancer New Member

Check out the refrain or tiny middle-eight two thirds through - there are extra vocals from Paul and the guitars chomp - stop/start - which is different from the album.

11. daveidmarx

It's edited from a different part of the full take. Remember the 3:25 album version is edited down from the full take which runs over five minutes. For the remix, the edits were made in different sections, making it seem like it was a new recording.

12. Dancer

Dancer New Member

Okay, that would make sense - but I can see therefore how Record Collector magazine got confused. So, if they are using differing sections - from the same recorded studio performance - then the single version is different and not just remixed. I've been inspired to dig out my old 12" and forgot how good this version was.

Paperback Writer and daveidmarx like this.
  13. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I vote for 'Getting Closer' as his most underrated single.

14. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Listen To What The Man Said. Terribly underrated.

15. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Once Upon A Long Ago is certainly underrated, but Figure of Eight is too...though I prefer the album version.

theMess, Carlox and Paperback Writer like this.
  16. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Helen Wheels is his most underrated single
    overshadowed by Band on The Run

17. Harmonator

Harmonator Forum Resident

Not for me.

The Back Seat Of My Car
    Helen Wheels
    Venus And Mars/Rockshow
    Girls School
    Young Boy
    Beautiful Night

Girls School probably gets my final vote due it almost being erased from history for some reason (as mentioned previously)

18. matt0505

matt0505 Forum Resident

I guess to answer your question yes it is one of his most underrated considering how many other suggestions have been given in this thread lol.

Carlox and Paperback Writer like this.
  19. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Unless those are rated much lower than dog droppings, they aren't overrated.

20. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Not really. Fans (like me) were so geeked up to see McCartney live for the first time since 1976 (or, for me and many others, ever), that he could have played "Mumbo" on the banjo and it would have been adored.

21. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

You could really pick your favorite single of the last thirty years and call it underrated, since his stuff receives little airplay either on the radio or in video form. The impact of Pipes of Peace/MJ/Broad Street, still reverberating all these years later.

22. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

What impact would that be?

23. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

I think probably anything after "With A Little Luck," is underrated

24. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

My pick is Ever Present Past.

25. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

I always found it too schmaltzy of a song. Not a big fan of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.