Is Giles Martin helping or hurting The Beatles?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Christian Hill, Nov 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. serendipitydawg

serendipitydawg Dag nabbit!

Absolutely not. Not a remix though

2. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

That's kind of the point. Wilson really resists doing anything that changes the album as you know it, other than making a cluttered mix less murky (which he does really well on the Yes albums that needed it). Otherwise, he resists repositioning instruments, bring up new elements or doing any of the traditional remix things (even when Ian Anderson asks him to do things like removing some flute from Passion Play, which he generally didn't do). I wouldn't say that G. Martin's remixes are radical either, but he is a little more inclined to make changes.

Tristero, MHP and nick99nack like this.
  3. serendipitydawg

I don't think I have to have any basis to freely express my opinion. Just as you are free to delude yourself that streaming doesn't count.

Hermes and showtaper like this.
  4. nick99nack

nick99nack Forum Resident

Wilson does reposition instruments sometimes. Compare Locomotive Breath on the Aqualung box to the original - especially right after the piano stops. The guitar on the original moves from right to left, but on the remix it stays dead center. I do tend to like his remixes over Giles' though.

Crimson Witch and bRETT like this.
  5. If the real thing can be improved upon, I want to hear it. So far, I like what Giles is doing, for the most part. As long as the originals are still available, what's your beef?
    ...Would both fit nicely on one Blu-ray.

6. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

from what everyone has said the streaming is very different to the real thing (so far as sound). so that would be one thing.
    but if i listen to part of an album (in a format not really relevant to the topic) and then give a review of the whole thing based on a bias rather than an actual real listen to an album, what value is that?
    I can't listen to three songs of an album and decide whether it is good or not and start making preposterous statements based on a bias rather than an actually listening to what has actually been done.
    If the gentleman has no interest in the remixes, that's cool. Stay in the zone you're at, pull the old mono vinyl out, or whatever the preferred thing is and enjoy it.
    The topic isn't do you think anyone should have remixed the Beatles.
    Obviously a lot of folks think that it shouldn't be remixed. That's fine, they have the versions they love, and that's great.
    I guess they want the Beatles to die with us, and that generations upon generations will reject Beatles albums due to archaic stereo mixes that aren't as good as Elvis was doing in 1960.
    So based on the topic - Is Giles Martin helping or hurting the Beatles - the only answer can be - helping. He is making the product viable for many more generations to enjoy. Whether the hardcore older fans like what he did or not is actually irrelevant ... The question wasn't is Giles Martin helping or hurting your enjoyment of the Beatles ... and even if it was, how does that actually effect them? I have all the old mixes and masters on cd... so even if I hated the new ones, what does it matter?
    Looking at the question, which is somewhat different to the thread title. Is Giles Martin doing a good job on Beatles reissues. Well that would mean one would need to actually purchase the thing to answer the question, and anyone who hasn't purchased it, really has no say in the debate. How could they?

mrgroove01, Crimson Witch and willy like this.
  7. mark winstanley

I am not deluding myself sir. I have the product and you don't. A cursory glance is no basis for an outspoken opinion.

8. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Is Giles Martin helping or hurting The Beatles?

He's helping The Beatles money machine. Not convinced he's helping the music. But then I guess he's just 'doing his job'.

Hermes and Gila like this.
  9. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

I meant "weird stereo panning" for Sgt Pepper only. Sorry for the confusion.

nick99nack likes this.
  10. serendipitydawg

What utter rubbish. Just because you have physical product and have listened to it and formed an opinion doesn't give that opinion any more merit than mine based upon listening to files derived 100% from the same physical product.

My views pertain to any artist you care to mention (excepting perhaps Frank Zappa or Miles Davis). I don't think anybody's legacy needs enhancing. Giles Martin is just part of the marketing and fills the role adequately. He is a hired hand not a decision maker (outside of the studio)

Hermes and Gila like this.
  11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

12. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

It counts.

Perhaps @mark winstanley doesn't quite grasp the idea of lossless streaming?

goodiesguy, Hermes and mmars982 like this.
  13. mark winstanley

According to data from Nielsen SoundScan, The Beatles have sold 65,224,000 albums (and 14.6 million digital tracks) in the U.S. since 1991.

The Beatles ‘1’ album has been the most popular selling album of the 21st century. It was released in 2000 and as of this year has sold more than 33 million albums worldwide.

According to Forbes, The Beatles earned a combined $71 million in 2013 in the form of individual earnings, cash from ongoing album sales and other revenue streams.

The Beatles Rock Band video game, which contains many Beatles songs, was released in September 2009 and sold more than one million copies by the end of that year.

There were close to 25 million plays in the U.S. of YouTube videos containing their music in a 3 month period during 2016.

--------------------------------
    Based on figures one would have to say Giles Martin is certainly not hurting the Beatles. People are stating that it is just money making ... any band/business or other isn't creating a product to not make money. The Beatles didn't record their albums initially to lose money, nor did anyone else to the best of my knowledge

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  14. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

I bet if Steve Wilson's name was on this set and not Giles but sounded the same you would all be saying how great it is !

15. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

I personally have no use for the Giles remixes, but nor does their existence bother me either. The remixes don't prevent me from enjoying the original mixes that I prefer, and if others do like them, good for them.

That said, I don't think there's any doubt that Giles got the remix gigs because he's George Martin's son.

16. mark winstanley

as I stated..... my understanding, and I haven't streamed them and probably never will, but the reports I have read stated that they aren't the same. that was my poorly made point

Crimson Witch likes this.
  17. djblaze

djblaze Forum Resident

Getting the Mono mix on the bluray was what made me get it . Love the Esher demos , hell any Beatle release is worth it to me.

18. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Agreed. Wilson remains true to the spirit of the originals while improving the overall clarity of the various arrangements. Of course, as he himself has admitted, the stereo remixes are really secondary to the 5.1, where he's able to get more adventurous about highlighting and redistributing otherwise buried elements of the songs we know and love. Much more so than with the Giles Martin remixes, the surround sound is the main event with Wilson.

showtaper likes this.
  19. mark winstanley

You stated that you listened to a few remixes. That is not listening to an album. I listened to the album and it is very good, the 5.1 enhanced the album, a lot. That's all I bought it for, and I actually listened to it.

20. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Source please?

Btw, even if they are "different" between the Tidal and say the CD version, the streaming version is still a version. The LP version will likely sound different than the CD, as I know the Sgt Pepper remix did.

Hermes likes this.
  21. mark winstanley

no doubt. but personally, I don't see that streaming "a few" songs really counts as listening to the album. I haven't listened to the cd and more than likely won't. I got it for the 5.1, and if sold separately, that is what I would have bought. The 5.1 is great

edit: the statements about the streaming were on one of the five thousand white album threads, sorry but I won't be chasing them down, nobody has that much time lol

JonUrban likes this.
  22. Vinowino

Vinowino Forum Resident

After reading many reviews I bought the Sgt. Pepper 50th anniversary issue.
    WHY? I do not know.
    I do not like it. Have tried, Honest.
    I go to my original .
    I have all thier originals. May sell the new re-issue.

frightwigwam and Christian Hill like this.
  23. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

This poll is faulty because the actual answer is not a binary one.

It's a case by case situation.

zen likes this.
  24. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Fair point on how much time is spent digesting the remix.

But that's the case regardless of the format used. As for the lack of a source so far, I'll assume that there is no source of said opinion then.

Hermes likes this.
  25. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

This strikes me as an excessively cynical point of view. I'll come right out and say that I'm not a huge fan of Giles Martin's work--though I have not yet heard his new White Album remixes--but in my opinion, these reissue packages are giving longtime fans a new way to appreciate the old familiar favorites, while also serving as a delivery mechanism for all of the outtakes and demos that fans have been clamoring for for years. They may also help to attract younger fans looking for a more modern sound. Is there a profit motive at work here? Of course, but I also think that this project is about keeping the flame alive and rejuvenating The Beatles' legacy.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.