Is Giles Martin helping or hurting The Beatles?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Christian Hill, Nov 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I don't think so.

2. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

This is why we end up driving away notbale engineers from this forum.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  3. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Giles is helping Apple bring the Beatles to the next generation.

4. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I didn’t say which it was. He told me but I forgot. All I know is whatever SW worked on, my brother said it sounded like crap compared to the Rhino version (not touched but SW). He played both.

5. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Hope you're enjoying it. (At least one poster on the other thread was displeased with the mono transfer.) If not, you've still got the Esher demos :)

6. I’m saying they must be different albums because SW only remixed the first 2 ELP albums -the “Rhino” disk was neither of these 2 albums -so apples and oranges for a comparison.

Demolition Man likes this.
  7. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

True.

It's actually higher resolution than a redbook CD. :hide:

8. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Steven Wilson remixes are almost the complete opposite approach to Giles's remixes.... Clean, well mastered sound. Proper balances. No blatant mixing mistakes. No fake stereo effects. No fake double tracking. No extraction techniques. All of the original analog effects referenced and re-created.

If I heard a Steven Wilson remix that sounded like the white album remix, I would be wondering what the hell happened to Steven Wilson.

9. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

Yuck.

10. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

But why is it unconscionable? Again nothing is being replaced or hurt or forced upon anyone

mark winstanley likes this.
  11. HotelYorba101

Although to be fair if there is one place to be revisionist it is a remix. I got no issues with it personally

12. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

Everything’s just a scheme to make money. Come on, it’s a business.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  13. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

All his remixes have been awesome. It amazes me how people complain so much as if these have replaced the original If you don't like them then keep playing your original old crackly vinyl albums :)

14. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

Of course it’s for money. They’re in a business. This is how the world works, and it goes for all goods and services.

15. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

I wish I could get the esher demos without having to buy the remix. The remixes are interesting but not needed in my opinion.

Christian Hill likes this.
  16. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

$22 bucks at Walmart?

That's like $5 back in the 1970s. I mean one has to splurge every 40 or 50 years or so.

All these comments about cash grabs, etc or just non sequiturs.

If no one wanted to make money then Please Please Me never would have seen the light of day.

Look out everyone there must be wet blankets about.

goodiesguy, mmars982, MHP and 2 others like this.
  17. videoman

videoman Senior Member

The original release as The Beatles intended was always the best?

18. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I think in a nutshell, and to sum it up, the answer to the question in the heading would be: Yes.

19. HotelYorba101

That is the thing though - it isn't a substitute but rather an additive product. I never bought it to replace my 2009 stereo remaster, I got it to listen to the album in a new and fun way

20. Dan The Man1

Dan The Man1 Never Could Be Any Other Way

The more I listen, the more I like. Shocking at first. Maybe not what I’d have done. That’ll probably never be an option for me. Love the originals. Accepting and enjoying the remixes.

21. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Is he helping or hurting The Beatles - he's making them a lot of money in 2018, so he's 'helping' in a manner of speaking.

Did he do a good job - depends who you ask, but feedback has generally been positive.

But I didn't vote. I don't care for remixes so I have no use for this collection. Nor do I have a dog in this race. Personally I don't understand people's constant desire to re-purchase the same albums over and over again, but hey - its your money.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    Gila likes this.
  22. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

I know some very avid audiophiles, musicians and other music pros on this forum have some issues with some of Giles' work, but has any major media outlet or well-regarded and published music critic given a negative review to either the Pepper or WA remixes Giles has done? I'm not aware of one. I'd actually love to read a negative review out of curiosity and to hear the perspective.

Gila and Dan The Man1 like this.
  23. Dan The Man1

Dan The Man1 Never Could Be Any Other Way

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    willy likes this.
  24. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

He sure helped them with Live At The Hollywood Bowl, that album absolutely rocks now!

Chuckee likes this.
  25. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

The Hollywood Bowl album could be better if John's guitar was audible but I guess that was down to Voyle not doing a good enough job in 1964 and 1965.

John B likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.