Is Graham Coxon one of the great guitarists?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ernold, Aug 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Having seen him do just that as a guest with Love, playing 'Singing Cowboy', he definitely can.

If Stephen Street thought the two were comparable in ability before Blur's first album was even complete, that's indicative that maybe they are?

Man at C&A likes this.
  2. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Is this a poem?

Sear, Lonecat, Binni and 1 other person like this.
  3. Django

Django Forum Resident

I do like Graham's playing a lot. I prefer his playing pre the blur album, its a bit more detailed and refined. I've learnt a load of blur songs recently. He's a mangler is graham, notes and chords are bent all over the place, lots of dissonant notes, which can make it tricky to work out. I don't think solos are his strong point. I know he was trying to avoid the traditional guitar solo but they tend to be the weakest part of the song, more impressionistic, multitracked backwards guitars, feedback ect.....

Man at C&A likes this.
  4. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I voted for incompetent, but then I've never really heard of him.

Are these guitarist league tables really necessary or interesting ?

5. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

You've not heard of him therefore you assume he's incompetent?

That's some weird logic.

aina and somnar like this.
  6. gohill

gohill Senior Member

Yes he has said that in interviews. With Blur he always plays to service the song and some require him just to play chordal parts and he gets bored so adds in little bends and dissonant notes here and there.

7. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

I don't really care about them, but I think the thread title wording is sufficient to get the curious to comment and hopefully investigate exactly why he's so revered.

Lostchord likes this.
  8. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

He's an interesting guitarist, the video interview on the first page shows why. He likes to experiment and do things a bit different. I don't think anyone would claim he's the best guitarist in the world but he's done a lot of good stuff over the years. He actually makes me want to go out and buy that guitar I've been promising myself for years.

aina likes this.
  9. gohill

gohill Senior Member

I can't believe there is actual discussion here regarding Noel Gallagher being on the same level of guitarist. Crazy. Butler and Marr yes but Noel???????

Man at C&A, Neonbeam and Moko like this.
  10. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Logically, it was a clue to understanding my irreverent and stupid comment. Excuse my mad Monday morning humour. It was really a response to someone else who suggested that he was merely 'competent' .

OobuJoobu likes this.
  11. Ernold

Ernold Look up the number Thread Starter

I like the Smiths, and I rate Johnny Marr highly, but he's not anywhere near as amazing as many on these forums suggest, IMHO.

sunking101, Neonbeam and JuanTCB like this.
  12. Ernold

Interesting enough for you to comment on, apparently.

13. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Meow!

14. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Yes, Noel's just a strummer with the occasional 'will this do?' solo - I'm sure he wouldn't compare himself to Johnny Marr!

Man at C&A likes this.
  15. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I like Graham's playing.

Weirdly, I see comparisons here between him and Bernard Butler whos playing I don't enjoy at all.

PIGGIES likes this.
  16. Django

Django Forum Resident

Noel is more of a songwriter & rhythm guitarist. He said he became the defacto lead guitarist becuase bonehead was bald & you can't have a bald lead guitarist. His words, not mine.

aina, OobuJoobu and Dudley Morris like this.
  17. A very good guitarist who's not up there with the greats, but is better than Jonny Greenwood.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  18. Ernold

Wow, that qualifies as a response in your neck of the woods, does it?

Neonbeam likes this.
  19. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Tell that to Robert Quine.

20. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I'm sorry – I can see I've annoyed and upset you, with my flippancy. I apologise. But my point about guitarist league tables I think is a valid concern. And rating people ends up with them being rated against others. Can't we just discuss Coxon's approach to guitar, his technique and styles and ideas, whether people like what he does?

21. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Who would have thought that a thread about Graham Coxon could inspire such aggravated discussion?! :evil: What people seem to forget is that Coxon has an art school background and is also a highly visual person, designing and drawing artworks himself. Since he also happens to be a songwriter I'm having trouble viewing him only as "guitarist". Maybe "GitARTIST" would be better:evil:

Going to listen to "Love Travels At Illegal Speeds" tonight. :righton:

22. RJD1954

RJD1954 Forum Resident

Technically he MAY be. I really can't tell. But I don't rate him personally because I can't tell him from a million other guitarists.

Those I rate are those I know as soon as, or almost as soon as, I hear them. For EXAMPLE, and not limited to:

Jimi Hendrix
    Paul Kossoff
    Keith Richards
    Brian May
    Nels Cline
    Johnny Marr
    Jimmy Page
    Robert Cray

These guys start playing and I know it's them.

Coxon is gifted, (he can play, I can't!) but like SO many others to my ears. So no, I don't rate HIM. I rate all of THEM (all those LIKE him) in a huge bunch of talented, but not individual, players. Sort of like all the guitarists from the huge array of big hair, spandex bands from the 80's. Almost all interchangeable in my opinion. So not great, not unique.

Not sure if I explained that properly...

23. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

up there with marr .... etc
    great band. seems people don't think much of them on this forum sometimes ...

aina and Derek Slazenger like this.
  24. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

No, really he couldn't. Punk opened up the guitar to non-virtuosos. After punk hit millions of teenagers realised that they didn't need to play like Steve Howe etc in order to be in a band.

Sure some indie/alternative guitarists are better than others, that's bound to be tbe case, but don't think for a moment that Coxon et al can play blues and fast solos etc to a good standard because they can't. Noel Gallagher once said that Johnny Marr can play anything on the guitar. Well he can't. Ask him to play some genuinely difficult hard rock, metal or blues. Yes I know you're going to come back dissing those genres and saying that Coxon etc wouldn't be seen dead playing it but that isn't the point. They are not virtuoso axemen and they couldn't play those styles even if they desperately wanted to.

25. somnar

somnar Senior Member

What does that even mean?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.