Is it just me, or is Netflix's selection of streaming movies taking a nosedive?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bryan, Aug 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

All these people streaming are harming the physical media industry. And when that's gone, then what?
    Oh, yes...wait until the "cloud" bursts. It's coming...

2. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

instantwatcher.com is the only way to search Netflix's library properly.

3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I guess I'll switch to Amazon Prime then. They have enough juice that they can strong-arm the studios "You don't give us your movies for Prime streaming, we won't sell your BluRay discs either."

4. Chris DeVoe

I'll have to check that one out.

5. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

It's a fantastic tool that shows you EVERY movie added broken down by day. Netflix shows about .01% on their Newly Added section...this shows it all. Click on New on top of page. The view is customisable to show box art, etc. You can also list by Rotten Tomato or Netflix ranking, genre searches, etc.

Billy Infinity and Chris DeVoe like this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

Looking at it now - this is excellent!

As I mentioned earlier, I have been messaging back and forth with someone who is interested in exploring Bollywood movies. I knew there were a number of them on Netflix, but had no way to search through them, as Netflix's miserable search system made it nearly impossible to actually find anything. I searched for Bollywood using this site, and it came up with 69 films!

chilinvilin and Synthfreek like this.
  7. sportzdad

sportzdad Well-Known Member

I have both amazon prime and Netflix. I find myself watching much more content on Amazon prime. Considering dropping Netflix, but then again. .... only 8$

MRamble likes this.
  8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I agree with much of that. It's also the reason Neflix is investing so heavily in its own productions. That way they can amass a permanent catalog of quality programming (including movies now), which will not only not disappear, but which will be made available at the same time, world-wide. No geo blocking restrictions there. Their clout will only grow.

Where I disagree is that there will be 14 different services. Initially, this may seem to be the case as players scramble for control, but ultimately it won't be sustainable and there will be rationalization where maybe 3 main players emerge: Netflix, Amazon and ???

9. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

As do I. It's not $8 a month, it's $8.53. The CEO of Netflix got a $3,000,000 salary last year, plus $8,000,000 in stock options, and they raised the price. EXCUSE ME?????? If they had tons of great movies that would be different, but they don't. A few years ago, Netflix was great, but suddenly their list of movies fell into the barrel. Plenty of "new" movies, but the pickings from actual great classical movies is incredibly slim. And they have very, very little that Amazon Prime doesn't. And when my new Roku gets here, there will be even more movies to choose from. Sorry, Netflix, it was a great run while it lasted, but I think it's time to pull the plug.

10. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I don't know that that would work. Amazon has clout, sure, but as long as people can order online from other retailers (Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target, Barnes & Noble, DeepDiscount, etc), I don't think Amazon could pull off that strongarm.

Maybe that third is some consortium of the big movie producing studios. If they stop licensing their theatrical releases cheap to Netflix and Amazon, they might create some new service with a monthly fee. There is Vudu, but they are way too expensive, imo.

That's a lot of caps and ??'s for $8.53 vs. $8. You're shouting over that? Netflix has increased its market cap from about $21 billion to $44+ billion over the last 12 months. He's earned his money.

BluesOvertookMe and chilinvilin like this.
  11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Netflix has crap.

Only the tv shows they have are decent. The movies are more and more resembling the junkyard of the film universe: B-pictures, cheapo documentaries, fallen indies. Time to dig out the dvd collection.

12. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

There are a lot of good independent films on Netflix, but most people seem too lazy to actually search them out. They just assume if it didn't play at the multiplex it's not worth watching.

13. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Solved my problem...
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201712230

Darryl

14. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

NO, THAT'S NOT A LOT OF CAPS. THIS IS A LOT OF CAPS. And I'm not shouting, I'm using caps to indicate utter outrage with a company that raised its price and is therefore using "my" money to buy things I do not watch, want or need while paying exorbitant salaries. There, are quotation marks more to your liking?

TV is simply not that important to me.

15. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

My own personal DVD collection has a better selection than Netflix.

ted321 likes this.
  16. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Since you curated it yourself isn't that kind of obvious?

17. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Not necessarily.... what I meant was that my own DVD library is so vast, and encompasses such a wide variety of titles and genres, that any random person would probably have a better chance of finding a particular movie among my collection than by using Netflix.

Netflix is garbage.

chilinvilin and ted321 like this.
  18. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

You hit it on the head. I still buy blu rays like crazy. If I want to watch something, it is always sitting there, ready to go! Rarely would what I want to watch be on Netflix, and I have very mainstream tastes. We only have it to binge watch tv.

19. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Sadly, this is all too true. The irony is that Hollywood's refusal to play ball with Netflix only drives more people to free torrent sites, thereby undercutting their own profits even more. People really do want to stream good movies. The demand is there. And even if Netflix charged a little more for streaming premium content, I suspect many people would suck it up and go along. It's just too bad the two sides can't agree on a workable model.

20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The undercutting profits part is debatable. There have been a number of independent studies which show that file sharing doesn't hurt Hollywood profits and even helps by generating buzz. Hollywood makes most of its profits at the box office (and merchandising, where appropriate), both locally and increasingly, globally. Juts look at some of the juicy figures so far this year.

However, I do agree that it's short sighted of Hollywood not play ball with Netflix. But it's the same old problem - they want full control of both the IP and the distribution chain in order to squeeze every last cent in all territories. Netflix threatens that control mechanism and the increasingly unnecessary middle-men (distributors), who are fighting tooth and nail to remain relevant in a global, digital age. But the ancient business models won't last forever.

21. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Even though I subscribe to Netflix, I don't watch many movies (more documentaries than anything) so I haven't noticed. I would wonder this though. Is it Netflix running out of the good stuff or are they reflecting the lack of good movies made that are now available? When I look at the video racks at work, I see a lot of new junk! Just a thought I had.

chilinvilin likes this.
  22. mrwolk

mrwolk One and a half ears...no waiting!

Just cancelled my Netflix service....although i had acesss to the US and UK versions of the service...just found the content not to my liking. Recently acquired an Android based media box...which has Kodi (XBMC).....and getting lots of free movie and tv shows....including live UK tv broadcasts...

23. Wondering

Wondering Well-Known Member

Just curious..
    For 8 bucks a month, I think the selection is great. It seems to be inline with what the price is.

Would most of you guys be willing to pay say, maybe $25.00-30.00 a month, if it has a lot of the stuff most are lamenting it does not have?
    I mean in all sincerity, 8 Dollars, can you truly expect most current titles and 10,000 classic titles also?

I can not see complaining about selection, when it is a paltry 8 dollars!

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  24. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I pretty much keep it around for Daredevil and Peaky Blinders at this point.

25. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

Exactly - region proxies and vpns up here are doing brisk business.

They could do better, both with the A-list movies as well as the B-list, especially the film fest circuit of vanguard, midnight madness, and international masters listings, which is where they could really shine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.