Is it just me or is vinyl QC getting a lot better?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rischa, Dec 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ericsk59

ericsk59 Active Member

It seems that Greg Lake from ELP agrees with you on this issue. Here is a quote from Greg Lake and a leading expert on this issue:
    “To all friends of vinyl.

Ever since producing and recording with King Crimson and ELP, it has been my personal goal to achieve the best possible sound quality and that remains true to this day.

Regarding the audio reproduction quality on vinyl, the popular perception for some time has been that the best sound quality is achieved by using 180gsm weight. The reality, however, is that particularly when using modern decks, the best audio quality is actually achieved using the lighter 140gsm weight. I am honestly not sure why this trend of using heavyweight vinyl came about? Probably because of the ‘more equals better’ in the world we live in. However, in the interests of delivering the best quality audio to our fans we have decided to go for quality rather than quantity.

Just to underpin the above vinyl quality issue, here below is a short explanation/statement from Mr. Helmut Brinkmann of Brinkmann Audio, a leading authority on this subject.”

Greg Lake, 2016

“180 or 200 grams records often don’t sound as good as the thinner ones. In my opinion this comes from the massive acrylic material. As this is plastic of quite some softness, it reacts in the form of resonances during the tracking process.

As good as the recorded music may sound, the plastic sound of vinyl does not…. the music is disturbed by those resonances.

Though the thicker record may be stiffer than a thinner one, the resonances are heavier because of the sheer mass of the material (which is not that stiff compared to the dynamic tracking forces).

We know that the needle is accelerated to a few G gravity, and that causes back force resonances in the vinyl material. The more vinyl is under the needle the more these resonances can arise.”

Helmut Brinkmann, 2016

I have a basic understanding of physics but still don't get this; I would think more mass means less resonance.

Jrr likes this.
  2. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

What I gather is he's saying that no matter the thickness, vinyl is still as "soft" as it would be on a thinner record. Because of that, and in relation to the force imparted into the vinyl by the stylus, thick doesn't reduce resonance, it just creates more stuff (more vinyl) to resonate.

3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Defects I find on new vinyl are invisible or very hard to spot. A shop inspection will unlikely detect the problems. Faults on new vinyl tend to be more intrusive than they were in the past.

4. Classicrock

Amps that run hot I turn off. Valve amps must be turned off for safety. I have monoblocks that run very cool so they can be left on for weeks. Preamps/ phono stages get left on .

5. Classicrock

In answer to the OP question I think my defect rate remains too high at 1 in 4 or 5 discs having a serious audible defect. I really don't think issues are getting less but certain combinations of label and pressing plant are almost defect free. For example Neil Young titles from Pallas. Optimal are the worst for random faults, usually repetitive clicks and non fill.

steviebee likes this.
  6. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

YMMV. That's the opposite of what I have experienced. To be clear, when I buy New it's mostly EU pressed vinyl. But you can always request a play grade when buying an open LP if you have grave doubts about a bad press run.

7. LeeVing

LeeVing Hyperactive!

I blame the gimmicky colored vinyl for this one. So much easier spotting a defect on a regular old black record compared to all the colors out there now. I think because it is hard to see them, pressing plants have then cut back on QC as they weren't really controlling it anyway.

As such, I've had more visibly defective black vinyl recently than colored vinyl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.