Is it OK to leave my NAD 7140 Receiver on 24/7?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by CARPEYOLO, Jan 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CARPEYOLO

CARPEYOLO Forum Resident Thread Starter

Should I be leaving my circa '87 NAD 7140 on 24/7 or is that a bad idea? Does turning it off and on increase the longevity or is leaving it on the fountain of youth?

When I leave it on with nothing playing, it does give off a faint amount of heat. Thanks in advance

2. Tyler Eaves

Tyler Eaves Forum Resident

Generally, leaving it on is better for reliability. What makes components fail is inrush current and heat cycles. Both of which don't happen if it stays on 24/7. I always leave my S/S stuff on.

3. On what ? :tiphat:

4. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I have been leaving my amplifiers and pre/pro's on 24/7 since the mid 1970s. I have never had a problem.

5. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Though my Bel Canto is a 'D' class amp I have left it on since the day it was installed. I have previously left on my Cambridge Audio 840a integrated amp without ever any issue. When I had an AVR, the last being in 2008, I don't recall leaving it on but it was a conscious decision at that time to leave it on or not to.

6. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

What does the manufacturer have to say about it?

7. CARPEYOLO

I haven't asked, but I would imagine they recommend to turn it off due to a potential assumption of risk in the case of a fire.

8. CARPEYOLO

Here is NAD's reply...

Hello:

Thank you for contacting the NAD Electronics regarding the longevity of your NAD 7140.

Other than mild wear on the power button there will be little impact on the lifespan of the unit - heat is the root cause of most product failures, keep it cool and well ventilated for maximum longevity.

We hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,

Jackie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.