Is it OK to NOT like classical music?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Apr 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Bach and Mozart are not Romantic. Bach is Baroque and Mozart is Classical. Schubert is borderline Classical and Romantic, but so is Beethoven. So what you are saying doesn't really make sense.

Edit: I see this was already addressed by another poster.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  2. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I think everyone should at least have a basic primer to the classical greats, but I can understand not being a big fan of classical overall...... because I'm not.

That being said I do have about 30 choice classical albums on vinyl that get their share of play time.

I'm sure there would be more in my collection, but I simply don't have the time, money, patience or energy to wade though so many endless versions and pressings to find a few dozen more albums that I would really, honestly play on a regular basis.

I must say most of the classical I got on vinyl blows my mind as far as the sound quality and quiet background with a near total lack of the noise/static/click and pops one finds all too often on non classical music vinyl.

3. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

I like the folk music elements. I also like some ballet stuff.

4. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Then go also for Beethoven's Pastoral symphony (his 6th).

douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  5. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Ensemble? I don't get it. Soloists like Itzark Perlman, Maxim Vengerov, Nicola Beneditti, and Richard Stoltzman (though he is an ww player) are 'serious' classical musicians and made recordings to include the piece.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  6. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

As should my reply. A unique style, melodic and emotional, cuts across those composers. I had no idea they spanned such genres - i dont study these things. My point is they form bedrock of what I find inviting about classical music. The Brandenburg Concertos (other than the virtuouso bits) hit me as emotionally as does most of Mozart.

7. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

snowman872 likes this.
  8. Jama

Jama Forum Resident

You should definitely listen to some Bartok if you haven't already!

RiRiIII and douglas mcclenaghan like this.
  9. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Wiki's wrong:
    Indian classical music - Wikipedia

10. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

It's okay to not like any sort of music. It's also okay to like any combination of different music. I like lots of different sorts, but classical isn't a big area of interest for me.

The popular/high art debate is dead in the water, now. IMO.

11. telecode101

telecode101 Forum Resident

FWIW, I never liked or listened to classical music very much growing up. But after studying it in university, now I listen to it. The thing with classical is, and this is my opinion, you have to know about about it and the different eras and different styles of it in order to appreciate it, otherwise it "like of all sounds the same". Just like a non-heavy metal listener will listen to metal and say, "it kind of all sounds the same".

But. that said, if I were to run into someone in a conversation who firmly stated they absoltely do not like classical music and have no time for it -- I can understand that attitude. Most people grow up listening to what the radio and TV throw at them, which is going to be pop, rock, and other styles -- usually its not classical. I would even be a little weirded out if someone told me that they only watched and listened to classical music on radio and TV when they were growing up.

The down side of not liking and not listening to classical is you miss out on a huge amount of really great music and great musicians. but I guess you could say that about almost any type of music.

snowman872 likes this.
  12. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

That's such a great work. I heard this version from the BBC Proms "movie night" at the Royal Albert Hall, and it is just so beautiful. . . .

snowman872 likes this.
  13. ganma

ganma Senior Member

I was raised on it, but listen to it rarely as an adult. One day I will revisit that world in more depth. However, I'm not a big fan of large ensembles like orchestras in general and prefer smaller groups. So I prefer chamber music and solo instrumental performances to orchestras. I prefer the organ and harpsichord to the piano. I'm more of a fan of Baroque music than Classical and Romantic periods. After that I enjoy early 'Modern' composers. Notably Debussy and Stravinsky.

14. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

Schubert and Beethoven were the only two Romantic period composers on your list, if you were using Romantic in that way. Mozart is solidly in the Viennese Classical / Rococo period and Bach is from the Baroque tradition.

Jama and seed_drill like this.
  15. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I disagree about the sound quality. I find the softer passages make vinyl's noise floor all the more noticeable, and thus even the famous shaded dogs, bluebacks and Living Presence records I have tend to have distracting artifacts, even when they appear high grade. I prefer my reels, tape hiss and all, to my classical vinyl.

16. I suspect Mr. Curry probably meant "romantic" (with a lower-case "r"), as in beautiful heartfelt melodies and harmonies.

royzak2000 likes this.
  17. lrpm

lrpm Forum Resident

This is what I wanted to remark.

delmonaco likes this.
  18. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

royzak2000 and HenryFly like this.
  19. telecode101

telecode101 Forum Resident

you may like then this ensemble and Corelli.

ganma likes this.
  20. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I think we're missing something if we don't listen to it. I don't have a lot in my collection...just the basics...but it's too good not to appreciate. Not too important...too good.

snowman872 likes this.
  21. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

You would probably like some of Vaughn Williams work such as his English Folk Song Suite.

douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  22. Ethan B

Ethan B Forum Resident

I don't like it. I don't like Jazz either as it makes me feel ill as its all over the place. I don't like Motown/Stax/Disco et al. I think it's ok.

23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

It’s OK not to listen to classical music, but it’s not OK to ignore it.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

Semantically speaking there is a difference between a) avoiding experiencing an art form, and b) not thinking about it, but I'm not sure it's a very interesting distinction.

25. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

You know, it only just struck me that I have an opinion about this topic, but I'm personally inconsistent. For example, I avoid Rap, Hip Hop, Soul, Pop and probably other genres. But I feel that is perfectly justified. :D

Ghostworld likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.