Is it possible to rip the dts tracks from a dvd audio CD?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chris Desjardin, Jul 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member Thread Starter

On a computer with a dvd drive, could I rip the dts tracks to my hard drive and burn them so i can play them as a dts cd? I want to make compilations of surround mixes, and want to mix dvd audio discs with my dts cd's. I'd try, but at the moment I don't have any dvd audio discs with dts tracks (I'll buy them if this is possible).

2. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

You could do it with the AC3 tracks using a DVD ripper and SoftEncode/CEP

3. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Even better, if you rip the 48/20 digital tracks, you end up with a very decent sounding WAV file.

(That is, on the rare DVDs that have high resolution audio tracks)

A DTS DVD track is unusable on a CD. Reason being, the files used to make up the track are 48/20 to begin with; if you ripped the DTS track, you'd end up with a 48/20 WAV file. Which won't be of any use to you.

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Yes, but what would you play it on? You cannot downsample it once it's encoded. Not unless you did a real time transfer in A.

You can't take a DVD-A and demux the DTS track, and use it to immediate useful ends. You CAN take the AC3 and transfer it to DTS in a pinch.

5. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member Thread Starter

Let me get this straight: I can copy dts cd's on my computer, and I assume I can make compilations just copying 1 or 2 tracks from each CD. But if a DVD audio disc has a dts track, that is a different file type? And the same with a regular dvd?

I was really interested in the dvd audio copying of dts tracks, since there are a lot of good sounding surround mixes available on them.

Just to set the record straight, I want to play these dts compilations on a dvd player, not a regular CD player.

6. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Chris,

The DTS spec for DVD calls for 48Khz / 20 bit streams to be encoded. Ergo, the resulting DTS stream *is* 48KHz / 20 bit.

If you rip the DTS stream off the DVD, the resulting file will still be 48/20. The CD standard is 44/16.

DTS Audio CD have had their streams encoded at 44.1/16 (or 20, or 24 -I'm not so sure about this, though). The resulting "WAV" (actually, raw PCM) file adheres to the CD standard (44.1/16) and is, therefore, a suitable file to be burned onto a CD.

There's a way to downsample 48/20 DTS streams into 44.1/16, but it actually involves decoding the original stream into 6 channels, lowering their sampling frequency to 44.1, and then re-encoding the file...

7. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

....and that is more hell than it's worth, no matter what.

Believe me, I've tried... :(

Leave big bit DTS alone. Anyone would be better off having fun with the AC3. More to learn, more to achieve.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.