Is it really necessary to remove tonearm when installing cartridge?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Emosewa, Aug 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

In my time in retail, all Linn dealers were given service books, this is taken from the
    TONEARMS AND CARTRIDGES section dated 1995.

11. Position arm on protractor so that stylus tip rests on
    crosshairs,
    position A.
    12. Looking from above, check that lines are parallel to square
    side of headshell.
    13. To adjust, swivel protractor around spindle, keeping the
    stylus on line 65 until the headshell is parallel with lines.
    This will tell you by how much, and in which direction,
    you need to adjust the cartridge position in the headshell.
    14. Move cartridge to correct position and re-check point 11.
    15. Remove arm from collar. Tighten cartridge in position; use
    a new, Linn supplied, 2.5 mm allen key and spanner to hold
    nuts in place.
    16. Give a final check to ensure cartridge has not moved during
    tightening.

Step 15 says it all.

There are also several steps for checking arm bearings.

Jimi Floyd and chervokas like this.
  2. Randoms

@chervokas I've always enjoyed your posts as they seem to me to be logical, unbiased and you are open to finding better solutions, including LP12 set up.

You may find the pdf https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...FjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw2-mq0Z3yAyNSq1BPP6JhAZ Peter's excellent instructions interesting. No secrecy, no black magic, just a series of simple steps.

If all turntables, arms and cartridges were set up with the same care and attention, more people would be enjoying better sound from their records, and there would be far less broken components. I know that I'm not alone in coming across dozens of damaged cartridges, arms and turntables: sad but true.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    Jimi Floyd and chervokas like this.
  3. Randoms

A lot longer than 10 years!
    [​IMG]

4. Randoms

It is a shame that you do not have a good relationship with your Linn dealer, and also a number of Linn dealers sell the excellent, Lyra cartridges.

Lyra are manufactured by Scantech, who have also manufactured for Linn, using Linn's design the Arkiv, Arkiv B, Akiva and the current Kandid. Linn have implemented some aspects of the Lyra design and Lyra some aspects from Linn. Although manufactured by the same company, they have different designs and designers.

The other cartridge which would have been worth considering, is the newish Linn Krystal, which is the same price as the Delos. You would also get £180 part exchange for you Arkiv against the Krystal.

The Krystal (which doesn't have the flying leads) is made to a Linn design by Armour (Goldring), I haven't heard one, but it has been received very well, and has been used by some on the SME arm!

By the way, the flying leads introduced on your Arkiv and still used on the Kandid, does away with 16 connections, 8 soldered and 8 push fit. A removable headshell though offering convenience, introduces yet more connections. I used to remove and refit these connections periodically, to help maintain best performance.

Unlike some of the sloppy fit cartridge tags, which doesn't make sense for such a low level, sensitive signal, the Linn cartridge tags are tight - so the arm came off for this too!

Yes, I found it very ironic that in their top system, Linn digitise the signal at the earliest opportunity, inside the turntable, and keep it that way all the way to the time aligned, each drive unit actively driven via an extremely accurate digital crossover, room corrected loudspeaker system! This is simply not possible in the analogue domain.

Lyra are amongst the make of cartridges that can take advantage of fully optimised RIAA correction. Linn believe the many advantages of this approach, far outweigh the negatives. I have never heard an Exakt system, merely responding to your post.

Although known for being analogue diehards, Linn were the first UK company to apply for a licence to manufacture CD players, and were ripping CDs back around the millennium with the Kivor.

Good luck with whatever route you choose to take, but be careful with that arm!

alan967tiger and Jimi Floyd like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.