Is it really worth it to put every record in an outer sleeve?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AxC., Apr 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AxC.

AxC. Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just recently I ran out of outer sleeves and still have a stack of records to clean up. But looking at some of the records which a lot are thrift finds, I'm beginning to wonder it if its worthwhile to sleeve them. Most are a dollar if not only a few bucks.

Most likely I'm still going to sleeve all of them but I was wondering what others do.

2. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

Yes, everything has to be sleeved, at least as far as records go. As for CDs in digipaks, I'm still uncertain.

1970 likes this.
  3. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

Not worth it, IMO, especially if it's a used record that already has a worn cover.

4. spridle

spridle Forum Resident

Depends on the value of the record. If it cost fifty cents, and you know it's only ever going to be worth fifty cents, why bother with a sleeve? I've known people that just sleeve every other record anyway. Or you could just keep them separate until you get more sleeves.

5. Thrillsville

Thrillsville Forum Resident

I actually sleeve every second record. When I add a new one then I just have two in a row until I add another one near it and then I adjust them until it's every second record again.

dvcarrick likes this.
  6. LePompDior

LePompDior Forum Resident

I have everything in poly outer sleeves and MoFi inners. Even some things that are worth less than the MoFi inner sleeves. I take just about every precaution to make my listening variable as constant as possible.

Poly sleeves make storing/pulling smoother.

7. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

When did people start to "sleeve" their LPs anyway?

The '80s? Later?

8. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

I will sleeve it if:
    1. It's new;
    2. It's used and in good shape; or
    3. It's got value but not in great shape.
    For me that's everything I own!

Vinyl_Blues, jimhb, sassi and 3 others like this.
  9. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Earlier actually. I was buying sleeves from Sam the Record Man in the 70's.

gregorya likes this.
  10. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

The only LPs that I don't sleeve are common ones with so-so covers. What's the point?

11. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

:thumbsup: That's how I wanted to say it! :agree:

12. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

I started buying used records in the mid 70s and the stores I frequented all sleeved their used records. So, in consequence, my records were all sleeved.

When I moved my collection from milk crates to shelves I decided that sleeves were a hassle and threw them all away resulting in some wear and tear over the years. I started re-sleeving everything a few years ago when I realized that simply pointing the sleeve opening up (rather than toward the back) solved the problems I had with pulling records in and out of shelves. I'm definitely no rocket scientist.

13. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

The psychological value of enclosing LPs in shiny clear sleeves that cost next to nothing — arresting further wear and abrrasion in used albums and keeping new ones minty — is priceless.

Charlie DJ, Lpone, Chip Z and 4 others like this.
  14. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

I don't. I want them to grow old with me.

15. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

That is so gloriously nutty and obsessive-compulsive that I'm fairly certain you must be pulling our leg. But either way, I salute you, Thrillsville!

16. ronm

ronm audiofreak

Only sleeve favorites in very good condition and favs with clean vinyl and not so good covers to prevent further wear.

17. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

I only sleeve albums with cut outs etc. (Zep3), stupid album designs like ELP "Welcome back my..." which will drop a disk as soon as you touch it.

18. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Like some others here, I sleeve most of my lps primarily because I have very few that either aren't worth the cost of the outer sleeve or have covers that are worth protecting. Same with the inner sleeves.

19. Miche

Miche Forum Resident

About ten years ago I started to sleeve all LPs with a second hand value from ~$40. To prevent further wear. The plan is to start selling these LPs to save my kids the trouble of shipping the collection to the salvation army.

Just recently I have started to sleeve some LPs with damaged spines for protection. Not sure why I do this, but, you know...

I have been collecting LPs for more than 40 years, and I would say that the major bulk of records are not sleeved essentially because I think the record shelves look tidier with the "naked" spines in nice rows.

20. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

I sleeve all of them. They all receive a sleeve regardless of worth.

ToddH, Matt Starr, jimhb and 2 others like this.
  21. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

I only sleeve ones that are in NM/EX or CDs that have really great packaging but have that element of, "Well, these aren't limited editions, but probably won't be around ten years from now either."

Anything less, they're kept like any other collection...some in the living room, some in the basement and some in the attic. Admit it, you do it too.

22. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

All have outer sleeves and rice paper inners. Anything else is savage :)

Boden9 and Stone Turntable like this.
  23. danner

danner Forum Resident

I used to sleeve only the ones that I really cared about. Now, pretty much everything is in sleeves. The big project I undertook recently was removing all of the original shrink wrap from albums that I had just made a slit into and put them in proper sleeves. They look so much nicer now.

24. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

I sleeve every record. Keep new ones looking new. Keep old ones as good as they can be. Help keep worn covers from shelf abrasion that might split a seam. For rare records where you may want to keep the record outside the cover to avoid seam splits. And for all the records, the sleeve is an additional barrier to dust and water. I had a small flood in a house I was renting. About 1-2 inches of water...the sleeves saved the albums on the bottom shelf.

25. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

No way.

Cheap, beaten jackets don't merit it, IMO. Also, if I get a new record that wasn't terribly costly and one that I know I'll keep a very long time I won't bother putting it in a sleeve. Not worth losing the tactile feel, the extra moments spent taking the jacket out and putting it back and especially the nutty feeling that I'm handling a museum piece and not just a $16 Sundazed reissue or that $15 copy of Green Day's 'American Idiot.' The OCD stuff gets in the way of the fun IME.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.