Is it time to go class D?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by farmingdad, Dec 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

No, there is a Class C, but, due to its characteristics, it is not used in audio:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_amplifier#Class_D

PWM = Pulse Width Modulation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_amplifier#Class_D

If it helps anyone, you can think of a Class D amplifier like a high power version of a DSD DAC.

PhilBiker likes this.
  2. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link
    'The letter D used to designate this amplifier class is simply the next letter after C, and does not stand for digital...'
    and
    ' a class-D amplifier merely converts an input waveform into a continuously pulse-width modulated (square wave) analog signal.'

Good explanation given as well :
    The main advantage of a class-D amplifier is power efficiency. Because the output pulses have a fixed amplitude, the switching elements (usually MOSFETs, but valves (vacuum tubes) and bipolar transistors were once used) are switched either completely on or completely off, rather than operated in linear mode. A MOSFET operates with the lowest resistance when fully on and thus (excluding when fully off) has the lowest power dissipation when in that condition

PhilBiker likes this.
  3. Scott Hicks

Scott Hicks Active Member

We play with the Rogue class D amps and the Chord.... both are great for two completely different budgets

4. Larry Johnson

Larry Johnson Senior Member

5. caracallac

caracallac Forum Resident

A few months ago I got to listen to a Devialet D Premier, which uses a Class A driver and a Class D output stage (a cool idea that reminded me a bit of Peter Walker's current dumping circuit) with Wilson Sophia's fed a 24/96khz digital output from a laptop using a Musical Fidelity V-Link and even this old valve and vinyl lover was impressed. The latest generation the D110 and D170 are supposed to be even better and cost half the price. Certainly worth a look.

6. farmingdad

farmingdad Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'll try to get a review written sometime today.

7. Chris Malone

Chris Malone Forum Resident

From a technical perspective, Class D amplification has interested me but I've never really tried it.

The premise of a more eco-friendly footprint and greater efficiency with no crossover distortion (compared with AB designs) are certainly attractive attributes. Yet, in some respects there seems to be a real or perceived stigma that Class D can't match the realistic musical rendering that a Class A or AB design delivers.

Is anyone willing to share any recent experience with (new or old) Class D amplifiers? Thanks!

8. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

My Nuprime ST-10 is sometimes called a Class D amp, just not by Nuprime itself, to my knowledge. Short and sweet - for its size and weight, to say nothing of the fact it puts out virtually no heat? I love this thing. I'm running DIY monitors at 87 dB 1w/1m and it excels in so many ways but my "audio vocabulary" sucks so I'll sum it up in saying these two words - fun, emotional. It just makes the listening experience so much fun, honestly. Here's the manufacturer's page, should be a review in this months The Absolute Sound as well:

http://www.nuprimeaudio.com/index.php/pages/pages-overview/stereo-amps/st-10.html

9. Chris Malone

Chris Malone Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

The NuPrime certainly looks worthy of further investigation from my end.

I find it interesting that some of the best players in this space may be companies that didn't exist 10 or 20 years ago, as is the case with NuPrime, its NuForce heritage notwithstanding. Makes me wonder how much brand equity plays a role in us trusting this relatively new design approach.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
    toddrhodes likes this.
  10. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I admittedly took a chance. Heck, I was asking for advice here just a month ago about tube amps! But I can say I'm very happy. Through a rather odd set of circumstances, I had the ST-10 for about 10 days, along with a brand new DAC. The change in sound was incredible in just about every direction. But since both items were changed simultaneously it was tough to judge each for its own merits. So then a bit of bad luck struck and I was back to my old B&K amp for about 2, maybe 3 weeks. I was not unhappy with the sound per se, it was still better than that same amp paired with my old DAC (which is now at my office in my headphone setup) but I was able to hear the true difference between amps. My new ST-10 arrived yesterday and truly, the difference is stunning. As I explained in another thread, by comparison, music and sound just seem to jump out of the speakers now. I'm hearing harmonics I couldn't really discern before, the stage is bigger and deeper, and like I said, it's just more fun, simply put. Definitely worth a listen if you can manage. I know a place that will provide a 15-day risk-free trial (though you'd be on the hook for shipping one way, I think?) but I won't go into all that here. PM me if you feel so inclined. Note - I am in no way affiliated with this outfit except for being a satisfied customer.

Chris Malone likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.