Is it too late to get into vinyl now?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Martgrol, Dec 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martgrol

Martgrol Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm an avid listener of music of the Sixties and Seventies (among other things) and up to this point I only purchased CDs. Recently, I discovered this forum and read about the superior quality of vinyl first pressings (in most cases) to later CD and vinyl pressings. But these first vinyl pressings are often hard to get and pretty costly; the condition of used vinyl is also to be considered.

So, I wonder - Have I missed out getting into vinyl much earlier or is there still hope for me (so to speak) relying on decent reissues or a couple of first pressings that aren't that hard to get? Or: Is it still worth to get into vinyl now?

2. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

It's never too late.

3. AJK74

AJK74 Forum Resident

I agree with the above poster. It is never too late - take the plunge!

4. Vinyl is a timeless passion.

5. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Rock and roll the vinyl.

6. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

I tried to check your profile to see what other kind of equipment you have, but see you have not filled it out as of yet.

I only got back into collecting vinyl records a little over two years ago. But the difference for me was that I had a pretty good collection as a start. But I have found all kinds of mainstream records in really great shape for reasonable money. And this often includes first issues. But it can be expensive to be sure.

You're concern is justified and I admire your thinking. I have also wished I started back at least 10 years ago. Or better yet, had never stopped. But even with that as a consideration I have found it to be very enjoyable. I don't think it is ever too late.

Here is something to consider. Many people like new records. That fact is your friend as old stock increases because of it. I would also recommend buying a record cleaning machine at the same time you buy a turntable. Lots of records can clean up really well and it expands the universe of what you can buy and enjoy.

And don't forget, there are a lot of records out there and people generally do not throw them away. Eventually they sell them and have been doing just that as this revival in the medium has taken off.

7. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Sell the CD versions to part-fund the vinyl purchase. I adopted this for a couple of years and managed to make decent in-roads in replacing everything essential at a fractional cost.

tvstrategies and SinnerSaint like this.
  8. kcjayhawk

kcjayhawk Forum Resident

If your wallet can handle it, it is well worth doing NOW!

9. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

If you have any kind of OCD then i wouldn't recommend vinyl, it will drive you mad!

10. Depending on how deep your knowledge is of your favorite era, you can still buy around the edges of the forgotten bands on vinyl quite reasonably.

Dave G. likes this.
  11. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

Unless your doctor has given you six months to live, it's not too late.

12. For things that were popular in the 70s and 80s, there's lots of cheap, very good sounding records in the used bins. Even if a lot of them aren't original pressings, it shouldn't be hard to find something in good condition that sounds much better than a CD.

Shak Cohen, audiotom, granata and 3 others like this.
  13. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

Take it from someone who took the plunge a few years ago, stick with CDs, i love records, but they're a pain in the ass, and the only ones that will sound better than your CDs are the ones that are MASTERED better, don't believe the BS.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  14. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

You don't gave to go fancy reissues or first pressings, I've picked up 10 LP's this week, the oldest being a Faron Young disc from 1959, all if them are in excellent condition and my total purchase price was a shade over £10,

Buddhahat and Fender Relic like this.
  15. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

I really am happy to hear that it worked out for you. My preliminary checking is that I wouldn't get much for my CDs. I am keeping mine as I see no point in selling low and buying high.

16. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Never too late for anything...... :edthumbs: Except maybe bedtime! :tsk:

Sean likes this.
  17. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Join us. Vinyl records are often better mastered so many new releases will sound better than their digital counterparts.

18. Exactly the reason why I don't get rid of mine.

Clanceman, Whizz Kid and Szeppelin75 like this.
  19. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

And even then...............

20. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

21. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

No. You won't find the prices there were 10 years ago, but there's still a lot of old stuff around.

22. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Not at all. I still find deals all the time. I agree that you should buy some kind of record washer though. Dirty vinyl will take all the fun out of it, and won't sound better than your CDs. $.02

23. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

My advice is to hang out with someone who has a decent vinyl rig and listen to it and see if you think it's attractive to you. Everybody's got a few really good pressings in their collection, you can compare with your ears to see if there's a difference worth exploring.

Then, if you decide to get into it, don't get hung up on the "first pressing" mantra. Yes, first pressings are often definitive, but that doesn't mean you can't get a great experience out of later pressings or modern reissues. Don't fool yourself into thinking that good records have to cost over $100. One of the great things about LP's is that you can still probably pop into a record store or even a thrift store and score some great sounding LP's for very little cash. No, not Beatles/Floyd/Zeppelin, but there's thousands of other options out there.

And finally, get ready for it to be somewhat challenging. You will make mistakes along the way, and you will pick up some poor-sounding records. Don't let that ruin the experience.

But if there seems to be too much expense and uncertainty in the endeavor, don't bother. There's multiple high-quality digital alternatives out there that we all enjoy.

24. Claus

Claus Senior Member

My opinion is.... it's over!

New vinyl are no longer analog cuts. Most of them sound really bad, incl. the bad pressing quality.

Reissues are expensive incl. Bad quality control.

Originals (mint) are hard to find and also expensive.

I'm happy I have sold my analog 10 years ago.

25. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

I hope it's not too late - I'm giving my son a new turntable for Christmas!

I've wondered the same as you, though. My table's been in storage for a while, but I plan to get it back out. I don't have much vinyl, and I've gone a bit overboard with cd's the past few years. But lurking around these threads constantly gives me ideas for music I'd like to purchase, so I can see myself buying, say, mostly jazz on vinyl. I'm not going to re-purchase (again) all the Beatles, Dylan, etc., etc. In other words, no, it's not too late. I'd just be very choosy.

xilef regnu and Leeston like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.