Is it too late to get into vinyl now?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Martgrol, Dec 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don't bother.....
    The whole vinyl resurgence is a fad. :D

Seriously, why waste your hard earned money on music that you can by on other formats for less money that will in almost all cases yield as good or better listening results?

Ignominious, eric777, Claus and 2 others like this.
  2. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Because if you find you enjoy it, it's not a waste.

But if you're not going to enjoy it, leave it alone. You can win either way.

Man at C&A, Clanceman, Paully and 3 others like this.
  3. Martgrol

Martgrol Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah, the post from Claus basically summarizes my thinking: I have approximately 1,000 CDs by all kinds of music genres, but mostly Seventies, Sixties and Metal/Rock. Metal/Rock records from the late Nineties and the new millenium won't be a huge leap forward in terms of quality (on vinyl) - at least I assume so from brwosing through the forum. For the Sixties and Seventies there are already good digital alternatives that you can buy brand new (I'm waiting for the new Audio Fidelity Gold CD of "Cheap Thrills" to arrive and compare with my old CD). So it's basically a question of time for research, costs, and quality gap (also condition-related) between vinyl and CD to consider.

Perhaps I should test-listen to a turntable first. Too bad my grand-mother doesn't have one anymore and none of my friends has one either.

4. Yes, and my vinyl-free way lets me win for less $.

Dennis Metz likes this.
  5. A cost-benefit approach to this question seems appropriate. What will vinyl offer in listening improvement and your overall enjoyment of the music? My own personal answer was "nothing, but the larger artwork" and I happily parted with all my LPs by the early 90s. No regrets.

crispi, starduster and Chris DeVoe like this.
  6. dkmonroe

Good for you! Hope you're happy with it.

7. Thanks....

8. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Just try a listening test, and do a straight comparison, and decide for yourself. I would say 60s and 70s albums sound better on vinyl, but it's your call whether it's worth the time and expense, and you have the space. There is a lot of good quality vinyl still out there at cheap prices at boot/yard sales. And decent 70s or 80s turntables too on the web.

9. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

... thus you must be lacking 10 years experience in buying vinyl records. I'm glad you're happy with your decision though.

10. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Yes:cheers:

c-eling likes this.
  11. dkmonroe

Actually I consider that one of the definite advantages of vinyl is the fact that you can get new releases that are often poorly mastered on CD, and the LP equivalent usually offers much better sound. With older titles there's often many CD editions that offer good alternatives, but with new releases you've usually just got the CD or the LP or the download.

I strongly suggest you find a way to hear a turntable first, maybe an audio store can demo one for you.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  12. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

There are some terrific vinyl reissues in all genres nowadays. And then there's the fun of going to yard sales or used record shops to find an undiscovered gem or a desired album.

13. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

This sums up my experience. 4 years ago, I still had a turntable and records, so I didn't have to start from scratch. I found out that I still really dug searching for records I liked in used record stores. I liked it so much I upgraded to a new turntable and pre-amp. My kids also bought me a Spin-Clean which is a nice, low cost, option for cleaning vinyl. There are certainly more expensive (and probably better) options, though. I have a couple of nice record stores locally and a couple of decent thrifts, too. My wife likes to search out thrift stores in the area, so we venture out on the weekends.

The post about OCD is correct. If you are extremely OCD and have to have perfect, 1st press only vinyl, I don't recommend it. You will go nuts. A little OCD is fine, though :).

Enjoy the journey. My last 4 years have been a lot of fun. I just need to increase my storage shelving.

14. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

No, it's never to late. Vinyl is an addiction for many here on Hoffman.

15. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

For the type of music I enjoy Dennis, I don't think I could afford starting out today.
    I'm glad I have 99% of the bands I like on either/both formats :)
    Some of prices these members were paying even at thrifts made my jaw drop

16. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

are you dead? if so, i'd say maybe.

17. correctodad

correctodad Forum Resident

I couldn't disagree more. Never thought I would return to vinyl but I took the plunge a couple of years ago and have NO regrets. The joy of finding a great sounding copy of a record you desire makes this a wonderful hobby. And as for the sound - well given the choice between a CD copy and a vinyl record, I go with the vinyl EVERY time.

SirMarc, Byrie, xilef regnu and 4 others like this.
  18. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Absolutely not too late. You owe it to yourself, especially considering your interest in sixties and seventies music. That's the way music was produced at the time, with tracks distributed along 2 sides and with an analogue sound in mind. Don't listen to the haters, many of whom probably also wish they had gotten into vinyl earlier.

granata and Pancat like this.
  19. Martgrol

Martgrol Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm feeling that already getting into this "mode" with my CDs after finding out about this forum and starting to compare CDs (worst offender to this time the Scorpions 2001 remaster - and I always thought the Iron Maiden remasters sounded kind of strange). So, I might consider if getting a turntable is a healthy decision/option for me. :D

xilef regnu likes this.
  20. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Why settle for alternatives when you can get your hands on early and even original pressings usually for $20 or less? The problem seem to be that you feel like you have too many CDs already. It's tough to "start over," as it were.

21. Ted Dinard

Ted Dinard Forum Resident

Right now I am listening to an RCA pink Victrola I bought yesterday in a thrift store that includes pieces by Stockhausen and Penderecki. It sounds fantastic with absolutely zero surface noise, cost next to nothing ($1), and is analog down to the ground.

In many cases, records are the cheapest and most satisfying physical medium you can find.

22. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Don't forget the unspoken rule of this forum: a lot of people are looking for justification for their spendy, unnecessary habits and get bent out of shape when their justifications are questioned. And I'm saying this as one of the "vinyl lovers" which is maybe the spendiest habit on this forum, second to exotic audiophile stereo components.

Do what makes you happy.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  23. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Let me stop you right there.

This is a terrible reason to "get into vinyl". You will just end up disgusted and mad at yourself that you wasted so much money and fell for such nonsense.

Trbnado, Chooke, Gaslight and 5 others like this.
  24. dkmonroe

Uh, I don't think that this is the only kind of person seeking justification.

But this isn't at all helpful to the OP really, I think he can make up his own mind.

25. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

If you sold your analog 10 years ago, how do you know how any of these records sound?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.