Is it too late to get into vinyl now?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Martgrol, Dec 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I have records and cds, thousands of each. I think the vinyl side is more of an active hobby due to the tweaking of the gear, and the search for good quality vinyl at fair prices. While I was once that guy who would comb through boxes of albums at used record stores, thrift shops, etc. I just don't do that any longer. I prefer to listen to what I have while relaxing in my music room while occasionally getting a new cd via Amazon, or the odd trip to Walmart (couldn't believe they had the new Stones album.) My listening to almost all via cd, it's simply easier. But some folks love the challenge of the vinyl hobby. Ask yourself which one you are. :)

JeffMo and Telemark like this.
  2. Geir

Geir Forum Resident

Keep going for your 10% absolute favorite records. Get good clean versions of these and keep a digital counterpart and the rest of your collection digital. It's very easy loose control and buy everything you come over. A lot of great reissues have been released in the last few years, Beatles Mono, Pink Floyd 16' reissue and Neil Young. These can be bought on the cheap

Pancat, Tuck1977, Chris DeVoe and 3 others like this.
  3. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

I kind of agree. If you want to take the vinyl plunge, you will probably find that collecting AND listening AND curating in tandem makes the whole shebang enjoyable. If the collecting (crate digging) and curating (cleaning/alphabetizing/organizing) sounds like a drag, I would suggest you go with what you know.

There are easier ways to listen to music than vinyl and I think it's pretty difficult to argue otherwise. Although I'm sure it will happen. In this thread.

toddrhodes, forthlin and Geir like this.
  4. teag

teag Forum Resident

Yeah, sure.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  5. teag

teag Forum Resident

Most of what goes on in society is a fad. The question is, how many of them last as long as vinyl? Not many.

6. Arkay_East

I'm not suggesting he should do one thing or another. I'm just putting the discussion in context.

7. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I think I can safely say that no one has ever suggested that vinyl is the easiest way to listen to music.

Bobsblkwax and mikedifr0923 like this.
  8. TubularBell

TubularBell Forum Resident

If you want to start collecting (old) records, it doesn't matter when you start, because you will never be finished with perfect collection.
    But if the point just is "to get into vinyl" just because internet says it's fashionable now, I would think twice. It's 2016 (for a few weeks at least), there are other simplier ways to enjoy music than pretending it's 1978.

Pete Puma and starduster like this.
  9. Arkay_East

It certainly would not be a well supported position. Vinyl is definitely fussy.

10. dkmonroe

But you seem to be poisoning the well, advising the OP to essentially distrust the encouraging advice he is given, as it is apparently likely to be motivated by someone else trying to justify their spending. And I think that it's at least equally common that people who gave up vinyl 10 or 20 or 30 years ago also want to justify THEIR decision. But none of this really matters if we presume that the OP can just analyze the recommendations he's given logically and fairly.

11. dkmonroe

It's a non-existent position!

12. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

My opinion is, if you are interested would to be get a 2nd hand Rega deck & a Schiit Mani phono stage then a few vg+ used copies of your top 5 LP's. Rig it up, pour yourself a large one sit down with the covers by your side and have listen to an album all the way throughout.. you may find it sounds a bit worse than what you are used to, it could even sound 10 times better. LP's are very hit and miss but when you get a hit the payoff is worth all the hard work. It is hard to compare with a digital based media, LP's from different countries, matrix numbers, 1st press, 2nd, 3rd etc, original tape used, mono, stereo, all have a huge difference on the finished sound coming back at you through your speakers. It is a can of worms to be honest and takes a lot of research and dedication to the art. This is why I would suggest try getting a few bits on the used market just to dip your toe, you may find it is not for you. I personally need all formats in my life......

13. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

I'm not sure about Germany, but here in the states, I come across thrift stores that have old turntables for sale. Some also restore them (more expensive of course). You can get a cheap pre-amp for $30-$40 US. Unless you are sure you are going to continue to buy vinyl, I wouldn't spend a lot to try it. If you find you will continue to buy records, you can upgrade as finances allow.

JeffMo likes this.
  14. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Good, one less person to elbow out of the way at In Your Ear and Stereo Jack's while I'm scooping up great LPs for under $5 each.

15. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Same here, especially for 12 inch singles, b-sides etc. It's a fun hobby and now that I'm older I have more time to invest in it. This forum has been and incredible resource, albeit an expensive one also :laugh:

16. Arkay_East

Fair enough. For the record I'm 99% a vinyl collector and the same logic would apply to the dedicated CD collectors who dislike vinyl because they don't want to deal with it, think it's a fad, and want to **** on everyone's parade for whatever reason. We have a good amount of both. Any well-informed decision OP makes in either direction is valid in my opinion.

17. Arkay_East

Ok

18. dkmonroe

Great LP's for under $5? :laugh:

[​IMG]

hi_watt likes this.
  19. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Last spring- 4.99
    Used thrifts can be haven for goodies
    Found a Emile Lepine Canadian cut of New Order-PC&L and JD-Love last year for 1.99
    [​IMG]

xilef regnu, JeffMo and dkmonroe like this.
  20. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Vinyl definitely requires more commitment for sure. So be prepared for some frustration. But it pays greater dividends when it all works out right IMO. So many CDs were sounding like they were mastered for the hearing impaired. Just awful.
    There is another huge benefit to vinyl that CDs and downloads can't even get close to....girls. Girls like records. No girl is ever gonna want to look through your downloads, or iTunes, or CDs.....but I guarantee she'll want to look through your records. :righton:

21. Arkay_East

:edthumbs:

For the record this is my personal position on the subject, summed up nicely. So thanks.

22. One suggestion was for the OP to sell his CD collection in order to finance the purchase of vinyl. The OP thinks he wants to get into vinyl because of things he read on the internet. This sort of rash action could lead to some serious misgivings later. Some opposing views may lead the OP to take a slow, cautious and sensible approach that may eventually lead to happy vinyl collecting or at worst a mild disappointment rather than an expensive boondoggle.

Spitfire, Arkay_East and lightbulb like this.
  23. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Just what I was thinking -
    The past few years have seen some good to great new Box Sets, that can still be had for very reasonable prices (roughly $10 to $15 per disc) BUT you must be patient.
    Keep an eye on the Coupons Discounts section, set up your Alert function.

Beatles Mono, Rolling Stones, Kinks, Dylan, Bowie, Neil Young, Queen...

Yes, there may be some random QC issues, and Mastering concerns (which can affect your decision) but unless you're just settling to pick up random used original LPs in bits and pieces, at a great expense, then the Box Set is a great alternative.

Geir likes this.
  24. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

The existence of this thread questions the accuracy of your last sentence?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  25. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

It's not too late, but keep one thing in mind, the reason for getting into vinyl is for the analog sound virtues. The problem that I see at the moment is that you have a limited supply of quality product and lot of people looking to get it. Most new pressings can be expensive and may not sound exactly like their original analog counterparts.

I have a collection of both vinyl and CD's. I never thought that I had to have a vinyl copy of every recording that I have. For some titles, the digital version is plenty good enough. My suggestion would be to concentrate on those records that are dear to your heart and go from there. It has worked for me and allowed me to search out those records that are truly deserving of owning a good vinyl version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.