Is it too late to get into vinyl now?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Martgrol, Dec 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Never too late.

2. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

That's this post, right?
    I really don't think that PretzelLogic is saying, "Sell your ENTIRE COLLECTION and BUY VINYL! It's THAT NECESSARY!" - he's only suggesting that if you find a title you really want on vinyl, you might sell your CD copy to finance the LP. I do this all the time with LP's and CD's and it's a good way to take the financial bite out of re-purchases. I try not to have duplication unless each copy has something really special to offer. It's sensible advice, although it assumes that the OP has already decided to go with vinyl, which he hasn't. In any case, it's hardly slobbering senseless take-no-prisoners-vinyl-only-crazy-talk.

As for taking a slow, cautious and sensible approach, please read my advice in the thread and see if it doesn't meet those criteria. I don't want the OP or anyone else to spend $5 on something they won't be happy with. If you don't want to spend the money and risk some disappointments, stay digital. There'a a lot of great digital options out there.

3. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

My main advice is to use vinyl to expand your parameters. If, like some forumites, you have a small group of favorite artists and no interest in any artist or genre besides them, all you'll end up doing is buying music that you already own on CD. But if you use record stores as an opportunity to discover new-to-you music from your favorite eras, you'll probably find that you're having a lot more fun.

4. wpjs

wpjs Forum Resident

I have been able to pick up many NM 1st press copies of albums for r less than the cost of the same albumsI bought in 80's- and those were (re-press).
    It's worth it to me to slowly go through the collection and replace the 80 stuff with originals.
    Take your time- budget yourself and enjoy!

5. Martgrol

Martgrol Forum Resident Thread Starter

This forum surely has triggered my interest for seeking good (or better) sound quality of music. I'm fairly young and really never came across vinyl (my parents ditched their turntable and German Beatles vinyl pressings as soon as CDs were available). So, when I care about the level of muscianship/good music, I can also look into the best available sound quality of this very content. So, reading about the good quality of old vinyl recordings made me interested in at least try getting into it (testing vinyl). That would be the first step.

That's why I wanted to make a test listen first. But even if I would like vinyl (and would acknowledge it is, at least for me personally, "worth"getting into), after that still "virtual" step the central question of this thread will arise: Is it still worth it? And that question is also strongly based on the availability and costs of music/vinyl pressings I want to listen to.

6. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

Interesting question!

IMO, the only sensible game in town these days is early pressings but not first pressings. There are countless examples of records which are early pressings without being original first pressings and, therefore, considerably less expensive whilst still being every bit as good...

Examples are:

Palm tree label Island records, rather than pink label Island - Tull / ELP / Fairport etc

Spaceship label Vertigo records, rather than swirl labels - Sabbath / Gentle Giant / Kraftwerk etc

Later label Atlantics, rather than plum label - Zep / Yes / CSN etc

Later versions of Harvest - Floyd

Etc, etc. Look for nice early analogue pressings and you won't go far wrong... Many of these still have the original sleeves, inserts etc. Much much cheaper all round..!

7. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

What if the OP is a girl?

8. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Yes. It's too late. Open enrollment closed Nov. 31st, 2016. The next period to sign up to 'get into vinyl' will begin March 1st, 2020.

Chrome_Head and Telemark like this.
  9. Win, win.

10. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Then her profile is wrong. Boy, girl....it doesn't matter. People like to flip through records...go record shopping, etc.

Pancat and erikdavid5000 like this.
  11. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

To afford my current vinyl collection at today's prices, I would have to be a millionaire
    with 40+ hours a week to scan EBay, attend regional record shows and network with
    major record dealers both at home and abroad. And that might not even be enough.

erikdavid5000 likes this.
  12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Late ?
    In a word, yeah.
    New records at least.
    15 years ago would have been the best time.

13. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

+1

14. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

That sounds like fun to me :shh:

Lightworker likes this.
  15. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Yeah...but I ain't no millionaire. Heck, I'm not even that much of a "thousand-aire" these days!

erikdavid5000 likes this.
  16. lrpm

lrpm Forum Resident

Buy an used rig and get some second hand albums and test yourself. You can sell again without losses if you don't get hooked. If you enjoy the experience you can sell anyway and be sure you will be happy when you invest into an improved rig.

17. Claus

Claus Senior Member

My buddy is an analog guy.... he has a nice set-up. Have you read my review of Mofi's Abraxas?

I still listen to LP's.... but not in my listening room. The Golden Age of LP's was in the 80's, where I have found a lot of first pressings... Rock, Jazz, Classical. It's always a lottery when you buy LP's from audiophile labels today. The lousy quality control makes my buddy sick, but that's no longer my problem. I'm done with analog in my world.

18. No. Not too late. There's plenty of reasonably-priced original records out there. Most record stores that sell used records will only have records that are in decent shape. Most will take them back if they don't meet your standards.
    There are record swap meets, flea markets and yard sales where you can also find good original records.
    Being used to listening to CD's, playing records, you are going to hear surface noise and other defects/damage to the grooves. The higher-end the turntable and cartridge the more the negative aspects will become prominent. The basic advantage of records is a warmer sound. The later audiophile re-issues may be made of heavier and higher quality vinyl, you have to consider that these records are being made from decades old masters(and not always from 1st generation mixes or session masters). That is the problem with these later records, plus many have been monkeyed with and may not sound the same as was originally intended.

Lightworker likes this.
  19. Arkay_East

I thought being a millionaire was the most fun sounding part of the whole premise! :D

20. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

If you have the money to throw at it, jump on in. You obviously love music, it a great way in this day & age to sit down and focus on music ,absorb it and enjoy it like you would a sit down dinner. The downside: used vinyl is now roughly 4 to 5 times more expensive than it was a decade ago, and much harder to find in person. For the music you like 98% of reissues suck, but those 2% are great, with enough money in the game to support a handful of outlets that are doing it right.

21. Arkay_East

Yeah I think it's a reasonable but not negligible investment. Worth it to find out in my opinion. Sounds like OP has some type of system so $300 for a decent table, $80 for a record washer ... It's doable.

22. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Part of the answer depends on whether the OP has any record stores nearby, especially ones that stock used vinyl. I see no reason why it would be "too late" as records don't go away, and many older collections end up in the used bins. However, if one doesn't have access to a good shop locally it becomes more difficult to find the good stuff.

Clonesteak, lightbulb and Arkay_East like this.
  23. Arkay_East

This I agree with. Having a great shop nearby is probably the reason I love the format soooo much. Crate digging is my thing.

Telemark and George Blair like this.
  24. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

But if you do join us, get ready… You'll be entering into a dangerous hobby where the pursuit of aural perfection will always be a reissue away.

25. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

Never too late. There's some very sensible, constructive advice on here that's worth considering. However, ignore the posts that are just downright negative and dismissive. Those people are just sad.

SirMarc, Jimbo912 and dkmonroe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.