Is it too late to get into vinyl now?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Martgrol, Dec 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Avoid new pressings of everything like the plague unless it's documented that the mastering is better than cd and the whole pressing run is of excellent quality (info you can find here, likely).

And there are lots of reissues of many classic albums from the 70s and 80s that are sometimes excellent and cost a fraction of the original release.

2. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

If you are realistic, it isn't all that expensive. The problem is that, for many of us, we cease being realistic. When you join any subculture, you can get sucked in to its obsessions, usually for the rare, exotic and expensive. There's no rule that says you have to get sucked in, though.

If you want to buy decent sounding records and have fun listening to them, there is no reason why it has to be expensive or monopolize your mindspace. Especially if your tastes run to acts that sold well, chances are there are plenty of decent condition LPs at prices ranging from cheap to reasonable that you can pick up without turning it into some kind of quest.

I speak as someone who is not at all realistic and is at peace with that fact.

3. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Also I find that lots of releases by underground bands in the psych/stoner genre offer good quality of sound and flawless pressings. I don't if that's your thing but I should imagine the same goes for releases in other underground genres.

Telemark, Jaffboy151 and steveharris like this.
  4. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Where were you able to find 50 cent to a dollar records?

The Pinhead likes this.
  5. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Look, getting into vinyl is as expensive as you want it to be. If you just want to buy LPs to listen to, great, if you are going down the road of looking for first pressings to buy, beware!

There are so many good vinyl LPs out there that don't cost the earth and are not collectables! Go for it!

JG

dkmonroe likes this.
  6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

As someone who has purchased records since @ 1988 (both originals and reissues) Id say fuggetaboutit.

Start buying used cds if you want something "physical" to collect. Used cds are cheaper than ever.

Do I still buy records? Yep. But Im also much much more selective as far as what I will accept as an upgrade in sound quality and treat myself to. My record purchased have gone from 15-20 a month to maybe 5 a month (if that).

Reissues are expensive. And the waters of good mastering and pressings have been sullied. Its a rough game and imo coming in blind is like a chicken going into a den of foxes. Expect to get eaten alive. So, run! Gather your children! Your family! Warn your friends! Run I say!! Ruuun!!!!

Chooke and Pete Puma like this.
  7. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

It was too late 30 years ago but not anymore.

RobCos02330, Nielsoe and Arkay_East like this.
  8. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

That's bleak. You should just stop buying records right away I say! There's frustrations to be sure, but much more enjoyment in buying and listening to the black things than you describe.

9. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

There are basically two types of posts on this thread over and over. Some say vinyl is great so go for it, some are digital fans who say no. It depends a lot on what type of person you are.

As the OP is curious enough about vinyl to start this thread, he should definitely check it out. I think reissued vinyl is very good these days and getting better all the time. Maybe too good. It's been an expensive year but I've only bought a few LPs that disappointed me and many wonderful ones.

Pancat, Ben Adams and dkmonroe like this.
  10. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

Church

11. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

WELL then...everyone stop collecting now!!

Ed

12. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I am warning the OP. Im a Seasoned Vinyl Viking.

Nielsoe likes this.
  13. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

Only you can answer that....

Give it a try and if it's not what you expected and it doesn't excite you just stop.

14. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I asked a similar question 12.5 months ago.

[​IMG]

My answer is no, no it is not too late. Some of the older, analog metal and rock is sublime. Some of the recent reissues are amazing. Some new pressings are much more dynamic on vinyl than in any physical or downloadable digital format. Of course, the converse is always true, "it depends" on so many factors.

Granted - I have not heard equivalent CDs of, say Anthrax - Spreading the Disease or Iron Maiden S/T, but in some cases, I'm not sure one can get some of these masters available on CD, maybe hi-res download I suppose? Anyway, only you can decide if the time, effort, and money is "worth it" to you. It's neither cheap (but can be a lot cheaper than how i've gone about it), nor "easy" (but can be a lot easier than I've gone about it) but researching pressings, hunting around for them "virtually" or at stores is my second favorite part, although distant behind deciding what's up next and listening to it.

garrincha, SirMarc, Pancat and 5 others like this.
  15. Jaffboy151

Jaffboy151 Well-Known Member

Vinyl is a great media to still get into, still loads of 60s, 70s & 80s vinyl your after out there on ebay, in local record stores, on Discogs, and some reasonable represses with decent quality. You just have to get to know which ones, this site and comments/reviews on Discogs can help you a lot.
    Rare, limited pressings are spiralling up and up in price now compared to a few years ago, as are many pressing from artists released during the 90s and 00's as they were pressed in very small numbers if at all due to lack of demand.
    I don't really buy 100% into this digital vinyl is the devil argument. Pure analogue is the best but hadn't really been done in a big way since the early 80's, in my view, the early direct metal mastering process and its tinny sound were the devil, that and rubbish pressing plants.
    Vinyl is addictive, frustrating at times and can consume all your spare cash very quickly if you get the bug, you've been warned!

16. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I got an UK original UK Song of Leonard Cohen for 75p. It's a nice record. Plenty of cheap, good quality records to be found if you are willing to dig.

Jaffboy151 likes this.
  17. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

It really depends on the titles you're interested in. Some first pressings of 60's / 70's titles are still fairly cheap, but of course if you're looking at UK NM originals of the Beatles, Stones etc. then expect to pay top dollar these days.

Probably do some calculations care of sales on eBay, then factor in the cost of a decent stereo system before you go down that rabbit hole. Also keep in mind that CD's are a buyer's market right now and they aren't as terrible as you may be led to believe.

18. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Yeah, but the other guy made it sound like the OP could fund his lp collection by selling his cds. 50 cent to a dollar cds aint gonna do that. Because thats about what cds are going to bring now.

19. jacksonwalker

jacksonwalker Forum Resident

The Goodwill stores near me have lots of vinyl for that amount, and some are in great shape. I was able to pick up the entire 70's run of Jackson Browne (although I already had most of his output) and Van Morrison in excellent condition for less than a buck each. Also found an "RL" Led Zeppelin II for 99-cents, but it was pretty beat up.

20. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

As long as there is vinyl to be had, it's not too late.

Joti Cover and Pancat like this.
  21. husafreak

husafreak Great F'n music that's difficult to listen to!

There was probably never a better time to get into vinyl than now... We vinyl fans are truly blessed with riches these days.
    I personally don't think you will be happy if you start replacing your CD's with vinyl though. Unless you are certain that the vinyl is going to be more enjoyable for you. Enjoy your old CD's and buy new stuff on vinyl for fun and pleasure. I often use this forum as a place to learn from others about which formats to buy or replace. But it is not always worth it to replace CD's with LP's (or old LP's with new LP's).
    Get a decent turntable if you go for it, maybe look for something used at Soundstage Direct for instance. I just say that because vinyl is very "hands on" compared to CD's. So you want a machine that is pleasant to operate.

Pancat and Telemark like this.
  22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Id challenge the OP to find Goodwills that have that. Not the norm in my experience.

lightbulb likes this.
  23. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Yes, but I should have added the caveats that a) I didn't mean go all out and sell everything at once and b) this was a few years ago before the resurgence really started and the bottom fell out of the CD market.

I moved to primarily to vinyl once it became possible to carry thousands of high quality songs on a single device- my 2,000ish CDs started to look like floppy discs and had no aesthetic pleasure either. I've always had some vinyl, but sold a chunk to fund my travels a few years ago.

Then in about 2009, around the advent of Spotify, I realised I was buying CDs just to rip to my computer and the discs would just sit there gathering dust if I already had the title on vinyl. So I first started by selling CD titles I had on both formats, then getting store credit and rifling through the bargain bins for LPs of stuff I had on CD, then taking those home and selling the CDs, and repeating as necessary.

When they started doing digital downloads with vinyl, it meant not having to double up as well. It helped to have a few desirable CDs that I was not attached to, and bargain bins in London were still quite good. For example apart from the first four albums, I picked up the entire Fleetwood Mac back catalogue from Bare Trees to Behind the Mask for about a pound each for originals in good shape, and the same for Chicago on some trips to the US and Amoeba.

Eventually I got all the essentials on vinyl, and sold all the remaining CDs to MusicMagpie in bulk for pennies on the pound, just for a quick return. I don't think I miss anything from that lot, and I have about 2,000 LPs and <100 CDs.

Important caveat- my threshold for sonic excellence is higher than most here, so I can abide a 320kbps MP3 for my headphones and non-home listening, and a less than pristine LP if it's something I really love.

granata likes this.
  24. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

I second this recommendation, it's the conclusion I came to personally. I have a digital rig and library that is meticulously maintained and organized with as high quality files as possible, that is my music library. My records are an addendum- about a 100 or so of my favorite albums from the 60s and 70s in original or at least early form, the way they were originally released to the public.

Geir likes this.
  25. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

It's never too late for analog quality sound.

FEEL the difference!

Jimbo912 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.