Is it worth it to introduce a SUT?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Devin Williams, Jun 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devin Williams

Devin Williams Active Member Thread Starter

My system started out modest, but is getting to be comprised of fairly nice stuff, and I am trying to get the most out of my 103R cartridge.
    I have it installed on a Funk Firm Little Super Deck, and my phono stage is a Musical Fidelity MX-VYNL. It has settings in the MM category for 50, 100, 200, 300, and 400pF. It also has settings in the MC category for 10, 20, 50, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1.2k, and 47k Ohms. I have a Parks Audio Budgie Ten SUT that uses jensen transformers at a 1:10 ratio. I also have a denon au320 on the way via ups.
    The web has been so informative that I am now highly confused. I realize that I may just be able to use my phono stage, but I am unsure which MC setting to keep it on.
    If I employ the use of a SUT, are either of these 2 suited for the 103r? If so, what MM setting should I use on the phono stage?
    I realize that this forum has covered thos topic many times, but I have read so much stuff that my brain is about to explode. I have a pair of Zu Omen mkiis on the way, and I would like to get things dialed in before they arrive.
    Any input would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

MM section on the lowest capacitance setting should be fine with the SUT.

Thorensman likes this.
  3. Devin Williams

I will give it a shot when I get home.

4. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

Perfect, in my opinion. Unless you are OCD compelled to spend a lot more money, It's very hard to do better.

5. Devin Williams

I am NOT. However, I guess I have a denon au320 for sale lol.

6. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

Try them both for a few weeks and then, I suspect, sell the AU-320. That's exactly what I did.

Devin Williams likes this.
  7. Devin Williams

Update: everything sounds great. Could it sound better? Dunno. A man's gotta know when to be happy. Now if my damned speakers would only get here. I am, by the way, a HUGE fan of my new phono stage, the Musical Fidelity MX-VYNL. you can find refurbished ones for 800 bucks, I think.

8. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Good call on the SUT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.