Is Jet (the band) really that bad? *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ExtraCheese, Jan 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ExtraCheese

ExtraCheese Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I heard all three of their records, and they weren't so bad. I actually liked a lot of their stuff! I get that everyone has different opinions on music, but this was just absolutely ridiculous. What's the deal with all the hate? There seems to be an ongoing cult of haters (primarily critics) going on about Jet and their records. I didn't really notice it until today.

What definitely got me was a review of their second album "Shine On" by Pitchfork, aka "The Most Trusted Voice In Music". I'll just let you guys see for yourselves: Jet: Shine On Album Review | Pitchfork

Even reviews and threads by fans on RateYourMusic and Reddit are brutal. What's the deal? Am I missing anything?

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

There are certain bands that are cool to hate. In my experience, it's typically the most ignorant of a topic who jump on such bandwagons, probably fueled by insecurities rooted in the need to be accepted online. The whole thing is so vapid, I shake my head when I see it. Of course, there are some who've listened to albums and dislike the band and that's all fine and good. I'm referring specifically about those who know nothing of a band or its music and have zero experience in listening to it and coming to hasty ill-founded conclusions.

Along with Jet, I'd say Supertramp and Nickelback are in there as well. There are plenty of others.

I don't take the ignorant opinions of anybody seriously. I let them have their infantile fun and scroll right past them. It isn't a new phenomenon.

3. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

I didn't get the memo on Supertramp. I think they're gear.

downer, rednedtugent, sekaer and 2 others like this.
  4. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

You're asking the question and I'm answering. Yes. Abominable.

art, Jimmy Agates and James5001 like this.
  5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

With bands like that you shouldn't trust Pitchfork - see their review for Mando Diao's "Ode To Ochrasy".

6. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Actually, I never understood the attention towards Pitchfork.

Is that a review by a “Ray Suzuki”...?
    I waited (too long) for WORDS, phrases, sentences, to load and appear. Nothing; just a silly video.
    Was that IT?
    (...haw, haw, straight out of Beavis and Butthead.... humor?)

And then the other preview for “Get Born”.
    Sad, painful, review. It should have been another video, I guess.

(Note: I am not a Jet fan. But I can appreciate reviews as they should be:
    Intelligent, Informative, Insightful, with a Constructive Critique.)

It seems Pitchfork and their editorial staff need to graduate from High School.

7. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Jet aren't the first derivative rock band, and they won't be the last. However, good retro rock bands (like Oasis) can take the older sounds and make them their own.

After Jet's aughable pastiches of 'Lust For Life' ('Are You Gonna Be My Girl') and 'Sexy Sadie's ('Look What You've Done'), I will never be able to take them seriously. Almost like an unfunny, antipodean version of The Rutles.

8. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Saw them live and shrugged.

Heard their records and felt physically sick.

9. Dingo

Dingo Forum Resident

Why any hate at all for a good time band keeping the spirit of early seventies rock alive. I went to a live show expecting to be unimpressed, bit walked out with a smile on my face. They are quite unpretentious.

10. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Saw them once...horrendous.

11. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

I didn't know they were disliked particularly but I did see them live a few years ago and the word that kept coming into my head was 'phoney'.

Jimmy Agates and Mr. Explorer like this.
  12. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I like their first record, Get Born. There is so much contrived so-called "rock" out there that it was refreshing to see a band carrying the torch for simple to-the-point 70s-inspired gritty rock. They wear their influences on their sleeves with pride.

Their other albums didn't draw me in as much but Get Born is a solid rock album the likes of which most groups would be lucky to ever match.

13. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

Say what you want, but "Are You Gonna Be My Girl?" is a modern rock classic. Simple as that.

14. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

Up there or down there with Wolfmother you choose.. I kinda cringe that my country produces derivative rock acts like this, kind of a shame as I think both bands had a member with reasonable talent.

15. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

So they're the ones who are responsible for that horrendous tune.

16. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

A review on Pitchfork... now that's really bad!

17. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Are You Gonna Be My Girl is a fun song. Not too familiar with the rest of their output. As with The Darkness I was quite fond of them way back when, but if I want to listen to rock that sounds like the seventies, I listen to rock from the seventies.

ExtraCheese likes this.
  18. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Nickelback deserve all the flak that they get. Their music is soulless. But Supertramp? I've never heard anyone place them in the Nickelback camp before. But then again I don't read music/album reviews so maybe that's why I've been spared that kind of idiocy.

And for the record, while I'm not a Jet fan per se, I don't loathe them. And I certainly wouldn't place them in the Nickelback camp either.

19. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Never heard Jet but knocking them for being "contrived" is a bit harsh. The majority of the new(ish) rock music I've heard in recent years is contrived in one way or another & much of it (Biters, The Struts, King King, for example), is really quite good.

Not knocking anybody's opinions above. If you've seen/heard 'em and didn't enjoy it, then your opinions are entirely valid. It's the trend-chasing "professional" critics that get up my nose.

20. Never mind Pitchfork's inane "review" of Shine On, read their review of Get Born. It's high concept, but it makes clear what the critical beef with Jet was about in an amusing manner.

21. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

I don't mind Jet, they're okay by me. I grew up in the 70s when a lot of bands sounded like each other, or they sounded like bands from the 60s (that sounded like each other), so there's that.

That's the first time I ever read a Pitchfork review though. Never again.

22. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Far preferable is the Sparks/John's Children offshoot band from the 70s of the same name.

jacethecrowl and Andrew J like this.
  23. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

This Jet?

[​IMG]

Tim

24. Geoff

Geoff Senior Member

Nobody deserves to be put in the Nickleback camp. That said, I don't like Jet, nor do I like "Are You Gonna Be My Girl?". Sorry, I just don't.

25. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Saw them live around the time of their first album. Think I got a freebie, to review them. Can’t imagine me paying out of my own pocket.

All I remember of the gig is that I met a hot girl in the audience, and ended up going out with her a few times. Don’t remember a thing about the band.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.