Is Joy Division better on vinyl?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JPwalker, Oct 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JPwalker

JPwalker Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was thinking of investing in some UK Porky's of Closer and Unknown Pleasures if they are worthwhile. It would be nice to own them purely for the iconic cover art, but I am more concerned with the sound quality. I have found that most of the UK vinyl I have bought from the post-punk era sound noisier than US copies. Also, I find that Porky mastering sometimes sounds a little dull on top end and might not suit the sound of these albums.

Should I spend big bucks for originals?

2. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I've never heard Closer on CD. But my copy of the common-or-garden Aussie pressing of Closer was a fine thing. and a pleasure to listen to. It certainly was not noisy, and hardly dull on top in my system - but it's not an audiophile record.

I have no idea what the reissues are like.

3. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

I prefer Joy Division on vinyl. UK vinyl. The CD of Unknown Pleasures has extra reverb on the drums. It's weird. Anyone know the story behind that?

Man at C&A likes this.
  4. Macman

Macman Senior Member

I have Unknown Pleasures and it's very good. And dead quiet.

5. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I always thought the difference in sound was due to different EQ and top end on the original Factory CD. The original German PRT/Factory LP pressing sounds very close to the CD.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  6. gohill

gohill Senior Member

My original UK vinyl copies of Unknown Pleasures and Closer sound superb. Welll worth it.

I have the Heart And Soul box set which sounds pretty good for that material and also the 2cd deluxe editions og both which is so-so sound wise. Vinyl audibly beats both of these cd issues. I prefer vinyl anyway though, so that's a slight caveat.

audiotom likes this.
  7. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

The original UK vinyl of these titles (and the Joy Division and early New Order 12" singles) blow away their CD counterparts. One might think that because Martin Hannett used a lot of digital processing on these recordings that they wouldn't benefit from analog pressings, but he was still recording to tape, not to ProTools.

john hopkins and AlienRendel like this.
  8. Destroyer

Destroyer Forum Resident

QFT. Listen to Driver 8 - the truth is being spoken here.

9. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

10. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I chose this JD thread to bump....didn't want to start a new one....

Has anyone compared the "Factory" CDs of Closer and UP to the Japan first pressings (25CY-xxxx)?? I have the 25CY Closer and it kills the remaster that came out a couple years ago. Finally tracked down the 25CY of UP and expect it in the mail within a few weeks. Don't know much about the Factory CDs. Are they UK or pressed elsewhere in Europe?

Maybe there is a thread about this already, but if so, I missed it.....

11. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

the only issue with Joy Division vinyl is you will have to get She's Lost Control and Love Will tear US Apart on 12" singles - harder to fine, glad I kept mine from back then

12. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Could someone with the original UK Factory CDs post the peaks? I'm wondering if any other pressing uses the same mastering. Thanks.

13. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

According to his profile he dosen't even own a CD player:cheers:

14. mattstrike

mattstrike New Member

+1
    I picked up all the reissues when they first came out two years ago - Macman's right. Nice, flat, dead quiet pressings. They sound great as well!

15. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

So then how would he know what the CDs sound like at all, let alone that they are "blown away" by the vinyl...?

16. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I do have a CD player. ;)

17. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

If you want the best sounding Joy Division on vinyl, early UK Factory pressings should be on your shopping list. However, I think the vinyl reissue of 'Unknown Pleasures' is extremely good - it's sound is actually a little less 'closed in' than the original and some may prefer it for that reason. I thought the 'Closer' reissue was fine, but not as good as the original UK.

18. Pulseczar

Pulseczar Member

My UK Porky of Unknown Pleasures is one of the best sounding albums I own. Totally crushes the CD in every way.

audiotom and Pancat like this.
  19. Levitated

Levitated Forum Resident

How are the CentreDate issues of UP & Closer on CD? Are they the same as the Qwest?

20. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

I agree. Both reissues are excellent and worth picking up.

21. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

I have a first US pressing of UP and it sounds amazing to these ears. The opening drums on Disorder send chills.

Wally Swift likes this.
  22. RipItUp&StrtAgan

RipItUp&StrtAgan New Member

Or you could get "Substance" on vinyl, a little harder to find but you can still get it for a decent price.

Anyone know why this wasn't included in the reissue campaign from a couple years ago?

23. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I think they've since issued a few other comps and the box set, so they just didn't think it was needed...

But of course, it is, because it collects all those singles and non-LP things they put out.

Also, Substance on vinyl is significantly shorter than the CD version... just a heads-up.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  24. RipItUp&StrtAgan

RipItUp&StrtAgan New Member

Yes it is unfortunate, considering it includes arguably their three most popular songs. It just seems strange that pretty much everything else was remastered but Substance was left out in the cold when it is such an excellent release.

25. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I agree. I mean, you can get all those tracks (and more!) on the box set, but what if you just want a solid single disc?

Oh well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.