Is Keith Jarrett in your collection?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by backeast, Aug 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. backeast

backeast Forum Resident Thread Starter

I usually see these "Is ____ in your collection" threads about classic rock bands. Thought it might be fun to mix it up with an artist I find both semi popular and obscure at the same time within the jazz realm.
    I've listened to/collected jazz around 16 years. It can be a lonely hobby as next to nobody I know enjoys it enough to explore it themselves. Today I bought my first Keith Jarrett album, Staircase. He's an artist I have been aware of for several years, but never once heard a tune by. Maybe it was because he wasn't part of the late 50's or 60's jazz era? Maybe it's because his style doesn't appeal to many people? Maybe it's just dumb luck that I never noticed his music played?
    How about you, do you own any Keith Jarrett?

ramdom likes this.
  2. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I love Staircase — alongside the Koln Concert and his other solo albums. I’m sure there are others here who are much more expert than I am about his discography, but I’ve recently started exploring his jazz quartet recordings and that stuff is fantastic. My favorite so far is Sleeper, a 2-CD set with his “European quartet" from a concert in Japan. Really joyous and mind-bending music.

ramdom likes this.
  3. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

The Köln concert and Kind of blue were the first jazz I ever bought at the age 23

Erik B. likes this.
  4. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

keith jarrett is an "obscure" artist who's "style doesn't appeal to many people"? congratulations on discovering him 50 years into his prolific career.
    yes, keith jarrett is in my collection. 49 albums to date, another 30 or so yet to acquire...including Staircase so you're ahead of me there :)

David Ellis likes this.
  5. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Koln, La Scala and Sun Bear concerts are pretty amazing

drasil likes this.
  6. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

7. on7green

on7green Senior Patron

Some Keith Jarrett. Some Keith Jarrett and Charley Hayden. Some Keith Jarrett, Gary Peacock, and Jack DeJohnette.

PacificOceanBlue and audiotom like this.
  8. roberts67

roberts67 Forum Resident

No. I can't deal with all the noise he makes vocally when he is playing. I am a lifelong jazz fan and have tried several times. I have friends who love him.

Tensilversaxes, Tommyboy and audiotom like this.
  9. jeffd7030

jeffd7030 I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.

I really like Keith Jarrett and have several LPs and CDs.
    In fact I was just listening to the fantastic Koln Concert last week!

Erik B. likes this.
  10. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

According to my database: 23 CDs, and about 10 LPs. My faves are the solo piano concerts: Bremen, Koln, Sun Bear. Got each of these on CD and LP.

So I guess I'm a fan, though not fanatical enough to ignore the mosquito buzz vocalising on some recordings.

--Geoff

Erik B. likes this.
  11. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

I have everything except for about 5 albums. (Missing one solo, one trio, couple of his very first albums, No End)

rbbert, Hot Ptah and Erik B. like this.
  12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Big fan, particularly of the solo concerts and the quartet with Dewey Redman. The Standards Trio is more of an acquired taste for me and I'm not very keen on the records with Jan Garbarek. His work with Miles Davis was also great.

13. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

As much as a hate the " this recording will change your life" statement I will go there and say please check out Changeless and Bremen - Lausanne and get back to me.

Despite my issues with the way he can come off personality wise he can really be transcendent when he is on musically.

14. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Yes. Solo and with Charles Lloyd.

jay.dee likes this.
  15. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Absolutely. As are a whole host of other ECM artist. Manfred Eicher rocks.

Wounded Land and Erik B. like this.
  16. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Yes but I wish those dynamic mics wouldn't pick up his gutteral vocal counterpoint

budwhite and roberts67 like this.
  17. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

Yes. Koln is my favorite, but I enjoy pretty much everything I've heard so far.

Erik B. likes this.
  18. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Incredible talent... Koln, definitely. I also have Nude Ants, which is another live recording. Interestingly, he also put out some J.S. Bach and Handel. His interviews show a smart, well-spoken, curious man.

Erik B. likes this.
  19. Absolutely. A consumate artist, though I've eased off on buying the reams of live recordings he's made in the last ten years. Personal faves are Facing You, At The Dear Head Inn, Personal Mountains, Bye-A-Blue, Changes, Bye Bye, Blackbird (his Miles tribute with a stunning version of 'You Won't Forget Me'), Survivors Suite and At The Blue Note Complete Sessions. His last sideman date, on Kenny Wheeler's Gnu High, is gorgeous, he was definitely ready. His vocalizations don't spoil my enjoyment of his playing, I find Masabumi Kikuchi far more irksome, like some slavish imitator with everything dialed to 11.
    John Taylor from England is another pianist worth checking out for Jarrett fans. He has a fine catalogue especially in collaboration with Kenny Wheeler and the drummer Peter Erskine, much of it on ECM.

Mychkine likes this.
  20. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I have about 20 of his albums and REALLY like Spheres as a left-field pick.

Wounded Land likes this.
  21. Mister Keith

Mister Keith Chillin'

I don't like the his "vocals", but I love Jack DeJohnette and Paul Motian.

22. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

No. Next?

Tensilversaxes likes this.
  23. Artdob

Artdob Forum Resident

I have almost everything. Solo, trio, quartet, works with Charles Lloyd, Miles Davis, the classical stuff, obscure sidemen stuff, a number of bootlegs. One that I dumped though was his brother's album on which he played piano. ECM must have hundreds of improv and trio performances in the vaults. Keep 'em coming, I'll keep buying.

rbbert and Mychkine like this.
  24. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

I didn't really get into him until I bought the BLUE NOTE set second hand. I'm not sure what possessed me to spend $120 on something I hadn't heard. I suppose it was something to do with the quality of the musicians involved - I wasn't disappointed, though I don't love the groaning sounds he makes, especially if it's a ballad. Since then, I've bought around half of his Trio stuff secondhand and the other new. I've only liked THE KOLN CONCERT out of the solo stuff I've heard. Try borrowing from your local library as well, as there's a lot of albums to hear.

25. :fly: Well it is mosquito season I suppose..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.