Is Keith Jarrett in your collection?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by backeast, Aug 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

A lot of Keith is... solo, trio, quartets, you name it. My favourite jazz pianist.

2. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

Yes, I have quite a good amount of Keith Jarrett albums. His Standards trio is excellent.

3. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I've got to profoundly disagree with this. His solo piano outings are genre-bending masterpieces of improvisation. In fact, I'll stake my money on him being the greatest improviser alive and arguablly of all time.

As for his "standards"... he injected life and creativity into the whole song-book. N0t everything has to be 'modernist', or 'abstract' to leave a mark. You listen to "On Green Dolphin Street", "How Deep the Ocean", or "Days of Wine and Roses" from the Blue Note 94 Box Set and tell me he's derivative. Nope. More like lyrical genius.

As for his own compositions... no slouch at all. Just listen to "The Survivor Suite", or "My Song" etc.... incredible stuff. Sure I'm a big fan, but you are selling Keith WAY short.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  4. Jason Michael

Jason Michael Senior Member

I have everything he did with Miles, but the only Jarrett album I own is Koln, which I picked up used a year or two ago, played a couple of times, then filed. This thread has piqued my interest. I should play Koln again and perhaps get a few of the albums recommended here.

backeast likes this.
  5. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Kold was among the first "jazz" recordings I got (though I don't really consider it jazz. Also saw him do solo shows live twice. These days I prefer a lot of his stuff with Miles Davis.

6. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Never ever heard of him and I probably wouldn't had I not read the thread :p

7. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

I have a few albums, but need to be in the mood as I find his vocalizations a bit off putting at times.

8. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I don't disagree, but Bach was also a great improviser by all accounts and that doesn't make him a Jazz artist.

Well, you say that, but it is derivative ... derivative of Bill Evans. And the whole song-book didn't need life & creativity breathed into it because it never died or became sterile.

Okay, but The Survivor Suite and My Song go back to the 1970s, which is when I said he last contributed to the advance of Jazz. The European Quartet was the last thing he did in the Jazz idiom that was anything other than deeply conservative. The Melody At Night, With You is a great album but astonishingly retro.

I think that maybe you're hearing me say that Keith Jarrett isn't a leading Jazz artist and thinking that I'm being condescending to him but he's a broad cross-genre artist like another of my personal pantheon, John Zorn (who I actually think has probably contributed more to Jazz than Jarrett but who is certainly not a pure 'Jazz' figure).

mkolesa and lucan_g like this.
  9. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

When you look at releases like his ALL improv trio releases from the past decade (e.g., Always Let Me Go)... I think he is still trying 'new things'. We can debate the success, but I'm not willing to accept he's just settled in.

As for "The Melody At Night With You"... a stripped down album... but that's what recovering from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome will do to you. It's somewhat a miracle anything was released at all at that point.

Anyway, no point really debating this. All I know is when I put on a Keith album... even without out the vocalization... he has an instantly recognizable voice/style. While it is indebted to Evans (and others), I have no difficulty picking out his lyrical runs as being his and his alone. It's also a voice I happen to love. As a musician in an idiom like jazz, to speak in one's own voice... while still respecting and building upon what came before... that's all one can ask for (IMHO).

But in the long run, as long as we all enjoy what's coming out of our speakers, that's what is most important.

Sordel likes this.
  10. Jack Flash

Jack Flash Forum Resident

If he is, he's going to be sorry when I get home and let the dog in.

11. BZync

BZync Senior Member

I got the Koln Concert by accident. I was a young kid with a Columbia Record Club membership & it was one of the Selections of the Month. And, as was pretty typical for me, I had neglected to send in the refusal card on time & Koln was shipped to me. And I took to it.

For about thirty years it was the only Jarrett I owned. Then, on a lark, I got the Sun Bear Box. Koln, to me, sounds like a pop album with only one instrument. The melodies are so catchy & they repeat often enough to sink in. The Sun Bear stuff is a bit overwhelming. There is some material that is similar to Koln and much of it that is extended dissonant noodling to my ears. Clearly, your mileage may vary. I haven't given up on Sun Bear and, occasionally, will pull it off the shelf, but none of the various shows have grabbed me in the way that Koln has.

12. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Just an observation from looking at his discography but when was the last time he worked with anything other than bass and drums?

13. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

But of course. He's my God when it comes to piano. I have all of his works... even those I will never listen to. Solo concerts get rotated on a costant basis. Cologne, Bremen, Lausanne, Sunbear Concerts, Bregenz, Munich, Paris, Rio, and, the most amazing of 'em all - Vienna.

vapor minor likes this.
  14. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

try Bremen Lausanne concerts. Lots of great hooks and jams there as well.

lucan_g likes this.
  15. voicebug

voicebug Senior Member

I've got that multi-disc Impulse set that comes in a regular fatboy jewel case.
    I love 'Death of a Flower,' and 'Treasure Island.'
    That's some really wild stuff to listen to-----especially with the lights out.

16. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

In terms of working with other jazz musicians in something other than a piano trio, or piano/bass duo, it's been a very long time. 36 years I think.

Why the Trio and standards?

http://downbeat.com/microsites/ecm-jarrett/post_12-why-play-standards.html

But his trio with Peacock and Dejohnette is now disbanded, so there may be the possibility of some new configurations. It's probably a long shot though.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  17. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

18. doug1956

doug1956 Forum Resident

I bought the Koln Concert album when it was released in 1975 and I have been buying
    Keith Jarrett albums ever since. Last year I attended my first Keith Jarrett
    concert, a solo performance at Roy Thompson Hall in Toronto. The first track
    from his newest CD, Creation, was recorded at that concert, which I think is
    kind of cool.

19. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I have over 100 albums by him, including his Charles Lloyd, Art Blakey and Miles Davis sideman dates, his pre-Impulse quartet music, his Impulse quartet music, his Norwegian quartet music, a lot of solo piano, a lot of Standards Trio, and some other settings. He is an important and beautiful artist, I think.

I have had only one chance to see him live, in 1977 at the Milwaukee Performing Arts Center, with his Norwegian quartet. It was a memorable concert.

20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Huh. Hadn't heard about that somehow, but looking at this site I guess it's true.

21. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

I had some of the solo work, but sold it off over the years and never replaced it. Deliberately. Do have the Miles recordings and a Charles Lloyd.

22. lrpm

lrpm Forum Resident

Lots of albums of his "standards" trio, and a few solo, mostly in vinyl

23. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Interesting comment from him:

“I don’t have a trio now so… all I know is that I’m not going to look for other guys who I would need 30 years to get as good as we got, that’s the biggest problem of all. How much rapport and understanding we had, it’s unmatched anywhere I think.”

But whoever you wanted to play with (and you would have thought that a musician's natural curiosity would have been to think "what would me and x,y, or z sound like") might never have been as "good" but it would be different.

That's kinda what I was driving at with my question - he seems to have settled into a groove a long while back which stopped him being curious about other formations.

I know at that age you don't have to prove anything but if you compare him to someone like Roscoe Mitchell - or even Marshall Allen now a sprightly 91 and leading a new quartet - Jarrett comes across as playing it a bit safe.

Maybe that fussiness that he has about acoustics is also behind not wanting to appear anything other than perfect.

24. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Forum Resident

I've a few CDs.

Here's a combination of one of my favourite jazz pianists and a song written by a couple of my favourite song writers Fran Landesman & Tommy Wolf.

I uploaded this off one of my CDs I've had for a long time, to YouTube, but if you're in the UK it won't play for you. He gets the emotion across well. I never get tired of playing it.

25. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Yep in fact I have too many of his discs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.