Is 'Let it Be' DVD finally coming?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DeYoung, May 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

"Let it Be - Naked" for video? I'd much prefer the truth.

anthontherun, Drifter and musicfan37 like this.
  2. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I just think the film was poorly edited and could be much better. It could show the good, the bad and the ugly.

3. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Well a re-cut might be interesting, but basically I was saying that even the current/official version would be more enjoyable in a version with 21st century technology to improve the color palette, the clarity of the image, and improved sound. Even in theaters the film looked washed out and had pretty lousy audio. Those things could be fixed and the film--warts & all-- would be more enjoyable. If they want to include a happy version along with the original washed-out crummy version that would be fine too.

markshan, alexpop, PH416156 and 2 others like this.
  4. Alert

Alert Forum Resident

An interesting editing decision was made not to include any footage of them working on the best upbeat song of the entire project: "Get Back." If I recall correctly, the first time we see and hear "Get Back" is during the rooftop performance.

And there's apparently plenty of film of them working on that song; several years ago Apple created an entire video, edited together from several different days they worked on it. In Anthology they show a beautifully restored clip of them working on "Get Back" in the Apple basement via an unusual (for the Let it Be movie) "tracking" shot not included in the original film.

Some rehearsal footage of that song might've livened the Twickenham or Apple basement sequences up a bit.

5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

It was shot on film assuming it's been looked after, not stored in some rusty can in a dampened room. The film cleaned up( even edited )....should look stunning.
    Maybe Apple are waiting for the 50 Anniversary in a couple of years time.

forthlin and Yovra like this.
  6. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

It was shot in 16mm IINM. Which doesn't mean it's "unrestorable," but not equal to 35mm. Much can still be done with it. IIRC the original VHS/Beta/Laserdisc transfer was from 16mm cropped for widescreen, then zoomed in or panned and scanned from the cropped version.

alexpop likes this.
  7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

My recollection is from watching it in the cinema in 1970. Looked pretty good then on a 35mm screen.

8. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Wow. That's a tiny screen.

I guess they've gotten bigger since then. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.